U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states are "Southern".
Alabama 8 17.78%
Georgia 3 6.67%
Florida 2 4.44%
Mississippi 7 15.56%
Tennessee 1 2.22%
Kentucky 2 4.44%
North Carolina 7 15.56%
South Carolina 1 2.22%
Virginia 2 4.44%
Louisiana 2 4.44%
Texas 5 11.11%
Oklahoma 1 2.22%
Missouri 0 0%
Maryland 4 8.89%
Delaware 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM

821 posts, read 1,253,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
http://popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

File:Yall US Map.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact that -- as you noted -- the remarkably similar definitions -- exist as to the boundaries of "Southern American English" exist at all...I would venture to say, make a very good "case" for -- at the least -- a rough outline -- of "the South"
I agree with the Pop vs. Soda map. In all of West Virginia, pop seems to be the preferred name. The first time I heard "Coke" referred generically to all soft drinks was when I was in Tennessee and the waitress asked what kind of Coke we wanted. I also got strange looks in Alabama when I asked what kind of pop they offered at the movie theater.

As for Y'all...I don't hear it much among native WVians growing up, but it seems like more people are saying it these days. "You guys" was more than common than "you all" though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 AM

1,738 posts, read 751,837 times
All but Delaware.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,152 times
kentucky, virginia, tennessee, north carolina, south carolina, georgia, alabama, florida, mississippi, louisiana, texas, arkansas

Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,152 times
Well Missouri had a star on the confederate flag, although the culture is not Southern

Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,898,302 times
Missouri, Kentucky, W Virginia and Virginia are all overgeneralized. All four of those states overlap different regions. Kentucky and Virginia are mostly southern, W. Virginia is debatable, and Missouri is probably 75% Midwestern.

The Missouri Bootheel is nothing but southern. The Ozarks south of US 60 are southern as well. North of there is when it gets debatable.

Culturally southern towns in Missouri include Kennett, Poplar Bluff, Sikeston, West Plains, and Branson. Springfield is a mix of many different cultures, Cape Girardeau is probably 50/50 midwestern & southern (Cape is sometimes considered to be part of the bootheel, sometimes not). Really once you get north of there Missouri isn't particularly southern, it's much more aligned with the midwest or a unique Ozark culture.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Everything South from Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Delaware is the South imo.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM

62 posts, read 121,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I did not say that Virginia is not southern but that is has northeast qualities. Thought VA is a bit too far up north. Richmond is only 2 hours away from DC and 1 hour away from Northern VA. VA is apart of the Bos-Wash/ northeast corridor states. Look on the map there is nothing "southern" about VA. Plus it snows like crazy in VA nothing southern about that.

yeah thats why NOAA classifies VA in the southeast for climate....I wonder why that is. Just so you know, NC gets just as much snow as VA does, only the western parts of both states get snow (unless its one of those freak east coast blizzards)

So because virginia is closer to the northeastern states means its northeastern? Please go dude. I saw you in another thread harkering about how virginia was the south, now you make a complete 180? You're a troll.

I guess NC is northeast as well since it borders VA which borders the northeast, by your logic. It also snows in texas, oklahoma, tennessee, western SC, Northern GA, and even the northern parts of your very own state, nothing southern about that, right?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 AM

18,635 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The map indicates the extent of the Southern Accent. Outside of the black community, there really isn't a definable accent amongst white South Floridians.
Well the Southern accent among White South Floridians are indeed there. They just aren't on the beaches or in the denser more urban areas of South Florida. They are in Davie and Cooper City and Weston and all of those areas out to the west. It exists. But I can understand that. Maybe the lack of Southern White Floridian accent is being outnumbered in South Florida. The same though is starting to happen in Houston and especially DFW albeit very slowly. My issue is with South Texas though.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Spade - The maps, as I understand it, are not defining the "south" but the range of the southern accent. Having traveled in all these states, it feel pretty accurate to me. What carries even further weight with me is that although they illustrate the findings of three different studies, they are remarkably similar.
Understandable and I also feel it is kind of accurate. I think I would have extended the green down to and through Orlando and nobody can tell me they can't hear a Southern accent in Daytona Beach, Tampa-St Pete suburbs, Gainesville, and Ocala. It slaps you in the face. But like I said before, my issue is with South Texas basically everything South of a San Antonio-Victoria line. Either they need to do more studies or they are simply pumping out outdated data. You're not going to hear the Southern accent in Texas. You're going to hear American accent that is now heavily influenced by Spanish (if that makes sense). Mexicans clearly outnumber Whites down there now and the gap is only going to widen.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I explained on the previous page, how Miami even historically speaking wasn't "of" The South. The 1st blacks in Miami really, were Bahamians.
Yeah but they quickly were surpassed by Blacks from Georgia and the Carolinas moving down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or