Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states are "Southern".
Alabama 8 17.78%
Georgia 3 6.67%
Florida 2 4.44%
Mississippi 7 15.56%
Tennessee 1 2.22%
Kentucky 2 4.44%
North Carolina 7 15.56%
South Carolina 1 2.22%
Virginia 2 4.44%
Louisiana 2 4.44%
Texas 5 11.11%
Oklahoma 1 2.22%
Missouri 0 0%
Maryland 4 8.89%
Delaware 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
I think in some cases the "Southeast" and the "South" overlap.

I consider GA, northern/northwestern FL, AL, TN, KY, southern half of WV, portions of western VA, portions of Western NC & western SC, southern MO, far southern IL, AR, parts of eastern OK, portions of eastern TX, northern LA and finally all of MS to be "the South".
Eastern NC/SC also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Every state listed with the exceptions of Missouri (save for the very bottom counties), Maryland and Delaware.

I will also note that southern West Virginia is part of the south.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNCBoy View Post
The southern states of today are the former Confederate States minus south Florida and west Texas.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
I think in some cases the "Southeast" and the "South" overlap.

I consider GA, northern/northwestern FL, AL, TN, KY, southern half of WV, portions of western VA, portions of Western NC & western SC, southern MO, far southern IL, AR, parts of eastern OK, portions of eastern TX, northern LA and finally all of MS to be "the South".
I only consider parts of southern mo to be southern. Joplin and Springfield draw influences from a hodgepodge of different regions. So do Rolla and Farmington. Ste. Genevieve is solidly Midwestern. Cape Girardeau has both southern and Midwestern influences. Towns further south like Branson, Poplar Bluff, Sikeston, and the all of the bootheel are solidly Southern though. I personally think all of Virginia outside of NOVA and the DC area should be classified as Southern.

The southeastern states in my book are all the Southern states east of the Mississippi, but I'm also willing to bend that definition in some cases and just say West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Good Lord, how much do we have to debate this, all of them..........................

I agree! I thought we knew this eons ago. Why do people try to make some Southern states like Northern ones. Why not ask which states are Northern?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I agree! I thought we knew this eons ago. Why do people try to make some Southern states like Northern ones. Why not ask which states are Northern?
People do ask what states are northern. But the north isn't as widely talked about because, I believe, the south is generally more debatable and perhaps to many, more interesting.

Geographically parts of the northern most south make no sense. Cutting perhaps a bit far into the north.

If one were to drive around Maryland and northern WV and then Pennsylvania and upstate New York, you'd see tons of similarities in the people and the land and the lifestyles. However if you went from Maryland and northern WV to Tennessee and Alabama you'd find that the former two states just don't fit in with the very distinct south.

I will also point out that some people try to make northern states part of the south. There those who say parts of Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and even Pennsylvania are southern. This simply isn't true at all. I think they mistake rural for southern. So the southern and border states are not the only ones ever discussed.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:13 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
People do ask what states are northern. But the north isn't as widely talked about because, I believe, the south is generally more debatable and perhaps to many, more interesting.

Geographically parts of the northern most south make no sense. Cutting perhaps a bit far into the north.

If one were to drive around Maryland and northern WV and then Pennsylvania and upstate New York, you'd see tons of similarities in the people and the land and the lifestyles. However if you went from Maryland and northern WV to Tennessee and Alabama you'd find that the former two states just don't fit in with the very distinct south.

I will also point out that some people try to make northern states part of the south. There those who say parts of Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and even Pennsylvania are southern. This simply isn't true at all. I think they mistake rural for southern. So the southern and border states are not the only ones ever discussed.
Extreme Southern Illinois is very much part of the south. I have several friends from Alexander County IL (As far south as you can get in Illinois and FYI it's 40 miles farther south than Richmond, Virgina) and they consider themselves southern. They sound southern, they eat southern food, and are of southern heritage. I've traveled to several states and I'm from Southeast Missouri, and I know the difference between southern and rural very well.

Now the other states I'm not sure about since I've only been to Indiana and I didn't go to the border parts of it. But Alexander & Pulaski Counties in Southern Illinois are part of the south. >30% African American populations in extremely rural counties is absolutely not a characteristic of the Midwest or "North". Sitting down and eating biscuits and grits in a small family owned restaurant doesn't seem "Northern" to me. Seeing Cypress trees in the swamps doesn't feel "Northern" to me.

Nothing Midwestern or Northern about this accent. From the "Yankee" state of Illinois
Flooding in Cairo, Olive Branch, Illinois - April 28, 2011 - YouTube

Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Extreme Southern Illinois is very much part of the south. I have several friends from Alexander County IL (As far south as you can get in Illinois and FYI it's 40 miles farther south than Richmond, Virgina) and they consider themselves southern. They sound southern, they eat southern food, and are of southern heritage. I've traveled to several states and I'm from Southeast Missouri, and I know the difference between southern and rural very well.

Now the other states I'm not sure about since I've only been to Indiana and I didn't go to the border parts of it. But Alexander & Pulaski Counties in Southern Illinois are part of the south. >30% African American populations in extremely rural counties is absolutely not a characteristic of the Midwest or "North". Sitting down and eating biscuits and grits in a small family owned restaurant doesn't seem "Northern" to me.
The very bottom of Illinois, commonly called Little Egypt, is very southern. I agree. But most of it is northern land. For me it's a very debatable region size and county-wise, since some of it relies on St. Louis being southern. Which according to many, isn't.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:28 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The very bottom of Illinois, commonly called Little Egypt, is very southern. I agree. But most of it is northern land. For me it's a very debatable region size and county-wise, since some of it relies on St. Louis being southern. Which according to many, isn't.
I do agree with this. Most of Illinois is nothin but midwestern and there are indeed many on here who confuse rural with southern.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:46 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
As to differentiate from the "South-Eastern" thread, South East can have whole different connotations (like representing the Colonial South).

So to prevent confusion, what is cosidered a Southern state, that includes all former Confederate States (including Kentucky, but it's Confederate status is a can of worms I'm not willing to open. ) and Oklahoma.

Edit: Apparently I locked it in too quick, is there any way to make it multiple choice?
I always considered the South to be all the states of the Old Confederacy plus Kentucky and West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.