Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
LOS ANGELES:

Great suburbs, lackluster core
Of course, I think the greater LA area defies categorization of cities and suburbs. A lot of what is considered suburban in character, such as the San Fernando Valley (which actually is much more densely populated and culturally diverse than suburban areas of other cities) is actually part of the city of Los Angeles.

And some of the liveliest nightlife hotspots (IE: the Sunset strip of West Hollywood) is a separate municipality.

But I LOVE that about LA.

But I do understand what you are saying, while downtown LA does have a lot of awesome stuff there and is getting even better, its rather underwhelming considering the size of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:09 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
I would also add,

depends on what you consider great and lackluster, for what you are looking for.

Chicagos suburbs are GREAT for families, but lackluster for singles.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:15 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
The Entire State of Florida = Lackluster
Phoenix - Lackluster Core - But Suburbs are pretty lackluster besides Scottsdale and Tempe

Old 11-08-2011, 02:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
LOS ANGELES:

SAN FRANCISO:

Great core, lackluster suburbs

DALLAS:

FORT WORT:

Great suburbs, great core

AUSTIN:

SAN ANTONIO:

How would you call the SF burbs lackluster?

Or for that matter say that either Austin or Ft Worth have a great core and LA a lackluster core? seems odd to me really

Old 11-08-2011, 02:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
SAN FRANCISO:

FORT WORTH:

AUSTIN:

Great suburbs
, great core
I'm confused about what would be so much better about the suburbs in Fort Worth and Austin as opposed to the San Francisco Bay Area?

Not even counting everything to do in Oakland and Berkeley (which aren't even really suburban but the center of the East Bay)--San Francisco has some nice suburbs just down the peninsula:

San Mateo, Burlingame, and Redwood City all have fairly nice downtown areas(for their size). Palo Alto is a classic college town and nearby Menlo Park has nice tree-lined neighborhoods and streets. You've got places like Pacifica and Half Moon Bay further south that are right on the Pacific Coast beaches. Across the bridge in Marin you have a mix of upscale little villages along the bay like Sausalito and Tiburon and small towns like Mill Valley at the edge of the redwoods on the slope of Mt. Tamalpais. That's just what's close to San Francisco. You can look at the rest of the Bay Area and find other nice suburbs---I'd say in general the Bay has one of the more varied and interesting mixes of suburbs along US metros.

Last edited by Deezus; 11-08-2011 at 03:14 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 PM

345 posts, read 976,671 times
Orlando itself is a very attractive city, with a lot of shaded trees and dozens of lakes.

The touristy areas outside of Orlando are a sprawlish nightmare, thanks to Disney World.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
New Orleans is an example of a city with a great downtown but lacklustre suburbs, while Detroit is the opposite. What other examples can you think of?
Even with Detroit, I'd be somewhat careful of that assessment. Almost all suburbs are safer than Detroit city proper, but they do run the gamut from really nice to lackluster. Also, unless you're into shopping malls and high-end grocery chains, I'd say that downtown Detroit has as much to do as a comparable built-up area in the suburbs.

But I know what you're trying to say.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
How would you call the SF burbs lackluster?

Or for that matter say that either Austin or Ft Worth have a great core and LA a lackluster core? seems odd to me really
For their sizes both Austin & Fort Worth have much better cores than LA. Forgot to mention San Antonio.

LA's core is just a step above Houston & Dallas IMO.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
For their sizes both Austin & Fort Worth have much better cores than LA. Forgot to mention San Antonio.

LA's core is just a step above Houston & Dallas IMO.
Well maybe we can agree to disagree, LA has a top ten core IMHO, none of the TX cities play in this space from my perspective, some great metros but FT Worth and Austin are not top 10 DTs in the US

Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,879 times
Quote:
LOS ANGELES:

SAN FRANCISO:

Great core, great suburbs

DALLAS:

FORT WORT:

AUSTIN:

SAN ANTONIO:

average core, lackluster suburbs
edited in bold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.