U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM

816 posts, read 1,586,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Without reading that article, I would imagine three of those cities to be New York, Chicago, and San Francisco. All convenient in terms of lack of need for a car, but extremely expensive. The car can go, but something will always take its place in terms of expenses.
Chicago is not extremely expensive. DC/SF/Boston/NYC/LA/SD are all quite a bit pricier. It's the most expensive city in the midwest, but for good reason. It is cheap compared to it's national coastal peers in the NE and California however, which makes it a really good option for people. In terms of giant metropolis goes, it's #2 IMO behind NYC. Downsides could be weather and it's location, but with easy and affordable airport access, that can be minimized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:50 PM

1,998 posts, read 3,033,317 times
New York City

Washington DC (NOT VA or MD)
(When I first moved into DC, I had no car for the first few years (left it in another state), but I had no problems ever getting to places I want to go. I go to NYC often and either catch Megabus or ride Acela. The DC Metro gets me everywhere I want to go. There have been a few times that I needed to get to Montgomerey County, MD (Gaithersburg) and I could just hop the train down to Union Station and ride the MARC train up to Gaithersburg. I can also get to Reagan/DCA Airport and BWI (Baltimore's Int'l airport) by DC Metro and MARC train. DC Metro is in the process of building the Silver Line which runs all the way to Dulles Int'l Airport. I've taken MARC train up to Baltimore and hopped on the B-More Metro a couple of times. AND I had an account with Zipcar, and I actually started using it often when I found that I had to start being in Southern Maryland a lot. After that, I bought a car and frankly, I wish I had never bought that stupid car! I was just in the city without a car, and I HATE driving! Traffic sucks (especially on DC freeways and goind down to Southern Maryland). Parking also sucks! Everywhere I go, the city is raising the parking meter prices (YES, PARKING METER PRICES!!!) AND DC takes parking enforcement SO SERIOUSLY!!! Anybody want a car?

San Francisco (proper)

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 11-09-2011 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or