U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:45 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,232,797 times

Advertisements

Some of these seem a bit off to me but for what it's worth:

Quote:
Several factors make a city easy to live in without a car. The most important one is a widely available and efficient public transportation system. Another is having daily amenities, such as groceries, shopping, schools and entertainment, nearby and within easy reach on foot or by bicycling. The best cities have both features and 24/7 Wall St. has identified the ten best ones to live without a car.

The Cities With the Most Post-Offices Scheduled to Close
For people without cars, large cities with dense populations can be easier to handle if they have exceptional levels of "walkability." New York City, for example, is great for a car-free lifestyle because the majority of daily conveniences are reachable on foot. In Boston, the situation is similar. Both cities also have highly efficient public rail systems. As a result, people can easily get to work even if the distance is too far for walking.

More sprawling metropolitan areas can also be easier to negotiate for those without cars as long as they have highly developed public transit systems. The Los Angeles metropolitan area runs more than 500 bus lines, covering 96% of neighborhoods. Similarly, San Jose covers nearly 96% by running about 100 bus lines. Although these cities do not have exceptional levels of rail service, residents can avoid owning automobiles by relying on city buses.

The majority of cities that are easy to maneuver on foot or by public access also have relatively large bicycle communities. For example, more people bike to work in a city like Portland, Ore., than in a city like San Antonio, Tex., which is not very pedestrian or bicyclist friendly. These cities tend to have an exceptional number of programs and bylaws for bicyclists. Seven of the cities on the 24/7 Wall St.'s list are also featured on Bicycling magazine's list of the top 50 bike-friendly cities.

To compile this list of the best cities to live in without a car, 24/7 Wall St. examined the 100 largest metropolitan areas. In each city, we looked at the percentage of neighborhoods covered by public transit, the frequency of service for those neighborhoods and the share of jobs reachable within 90 minutes or less by public transit for people living in those neighborhoods, all provided by the Brookings Institution. We also looked at the "walk score" for the primary city of each metropolitan area, provided by research group Walk Score. This number represents how accessible amenities are for residents of a city on foot. Finally, we considered the percentage of commuters who bike to work, using data from the Census Bureau.

Having cities that allow easy car-free living has other benefits. Nick Spang of Walk Score told 24/7 Wall St. via email: "Walkable neighborhoods are one of the simplest and best solutions for the environment, our health and our economy."

These are 24/7 Wall St.'s best cities to live in without a car.

1. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA full article at best-cities-car-free-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Oh, apparently AtlantaGreg scooped me on this, but it's over on City vs City.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,228,352 times
Another inane list. I think I've seen this one before...

Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM

208 posts, read 364,927 times
I noticed this story on Yahoo. All these walkable cities seem very appealing but also prohibitively expensive.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,234,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. B. Trippin View Post
I noticed this story on Yahoo. All these walkable cities seem very appealing but also prohibitively expensive.
Without reading that article, I would imagine three of those cities to be New York, Chicago, and San Francisco. All convenient in terms of lack of need for a car, but extremely expensive. The car can go, but something will always take its place in terms of expenses.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:38 AM

Portland is not too expensive, nor are Denver and Salt Lake City.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:54 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,169,935 times
I read that article and was amazed Chicago was not on the list.

Random thoughts why did the Journalist leave Chicago off?
The Chicago area is home to the nations second largest Public Transportation
outside of NYC Metro

Metra alone has 240 stations and 11 rail lines serving the City.
The CTA has almost 1200 rail cars 521 million rides in the year 2009

I cant imagine why the city of Chicago was not on the list.

Not sure why the author forgot Chicago.

What puzzles me about this is how a journalist can be so blind to the nations commuter lines.

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 11-07-2011 at 04:07 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Portland is not too expensive, nor are Denver and Salt Lake City.
Hmm....okay, either somebody is playing tricks on me or I forgot the last dose of my medication cause last time I looked at a detailed profile of Portland on City Data, it was much more expensive, which broke my heart cause I think me and Portland could be very happy together.

Checked Denver and Salt Lake City again too and it seems they may have gotten cheaper too. Still both of these are way too cold and snowy for me and my astrologer told me NEVER to go there.

As I recall, she didn't like Portland much either but if it really is affordable, then **** her and the crystal ball she rode in on.

Oh! and thanks for making me take a second look, Woof!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Here ya go, Trippin: http://portland.craigslist.org/searc...1000&bedrooms=

At this time there is a scam running with a lot of "own large home!" ads, but I've reported them and hopefully by the time you look they will be gone.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:43 AM

Wow! Lots of, if not the majority, listings in my price range!

Thanks again, Woof!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or