U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 AM

1,834 posts, read 1,599,304 times

Advertisements

Okay, it seems like just about everywhere has these ridiculously sensitive areas, so now I'm wondering what everyone's sensitive areas are...

For example:

North Carolina gets all uptight about being left out when people are talking Southern States. Dare call it Mid-Atlantic, then sit back and watch the beef start cooking

Atlanta gets all uptight when traffic is brought up.

New York gets offended when consider it number 1

Just ask the question: Is Maryland Southern and get ready for the fireworks

Forget San Francisco in a talk about urbanism and somebody has to cry.

Don't mention Seattle in a talk about skylines and someone's ready to fight.

What are some of the sensitive points you've noticed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 AM

5,448 posts, read 3,989,298 times
On this Forum if you don't bring up Philly in a discussion about anything, they get mad.
*totally oppisite in real life they are modest

Old 11-06-2011, 11:08 AM

4,331 posts, read 6,584,729 times
Portland, Oregon is extra sensitive and gets upset about anything that doesn't imply this. That the city is God's gift to Planet Earth, and that no place or anyone is better than Portland or a Portlander.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 AM

9,994 posts, read 8,492,295 times
Mention "midwest" and "flyover" in the same sentence and you'll have a showdown for sure. Actually, I think the midwest is alright.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:04 PM

116 posts, read 103,480 times
If anyone says they wouldn't live in Minneapolis because of the cold, Minnesotans starts freaking out. We just can't understand that some people can't "Man up" like the rest of us .

Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,964,074 times
Dallas - They have no trees, it fails at everything and they're not supreme ruler over DFW.

Atlanta - Horrible Rappers and not as important as they think.

Houston - The city looks,smells and feels like $hit. It would be worthless without its oil.

Washington DC - Horrible people and they would be nothing without the government.

New York City - No longer the only game in town. London rules!

Chicago - LA past it; now Houston and Dallas are next.

San Francisco - Nothing but hippies, junkies and men with booty shorts.

Miami - Third World City.

Detroit - Nothing but a dump.

Philadelphia - It's NYC's biotch!

Boston - City full of drunks and bastards.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 PM

1,834 posts, read 1,599,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Dallas - They have no trees, it fails at everything and they're not supreme ruler over DFW.

Atlanta - Horrible Rappers and not as important as they think.

Houston - The city looks,smells and feels like $hit. It would be worthless without its oil.

Washington DC - Horrible people and they would be nothing without the government.

New York City - No longer the only game in town. London rules!

Chicago - LA past it; now Houston and Dallas are next.

San Francisco - Nothing but hippies, junkies and men with booty shorts.

Miami - Third World City.

Detroit - Nothing but a dump.

Philadelphia - It's NYC's biotch!

Boston - City full of drunks and bastards.
This is pretty funny!!! LOL... I'll try to join in:

North Carolina - "I'm the deep south! Honest I am! I'm super serious!"

New Orleans - "How come they keep saying Atlanta's the Capital of the South?!?!? We have real culture and we're better than they are! We won the Superbowl!"

Atlanta - Worst sports fans... Well, nobody's from Atlanta anyway...

New York - New York doesn't own Hip Hop anymore... "WHAT?!?!?!? Nobody else even knows what 'Hip Hop' is but New Yorkers!!!!"

Chicago - "Not the food capital...? HOW DARE YOU?!?!?!?"

Philadelphia - "There's plenty to do in downtown Philly!!! We have those Rocky steps, and the Independence Hall! And that 'LOVE' statue!!!"

San Francisco - "We're the most urban place outside of Manhattan and THAT's THAT!!! Putting my foot down!!!"

Austin - "Everybody says I'm a party town with good live music! How come people keep forgetting me in the argument!"

Miami - "Should be in EVERY skyline argument! Screw Atlanta, they're not even a REAL urban city like us anyway... I mean, we ARE one of the most urban cities, right?!?!?"

Baltimore - "GHOSTOWN?!?!? You must not have ever been down to the Inner Harbor and seen all those people! Oh, those abandoned neighborhoods... Don't mind those..."

Old 11-06-2011, 05:03 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,735,469 times
Those of us who live in SE Michigan are pretty sensitive about the misconceptions about our region and our entire state. Even though Michigan is by and large very rural, safe, and conservative, people who have never set foot anywhere near our beautiful state will smugly tell everyone that it is 50% ghetto and 50% belching smokestacks and boarded up factories. Even Detroit itself can't be accurately described that way and does, in fact, have some beautiful, historical neighborhoods, an increasingly impressive downtown, and some of the wealthiest and loveliest suburbs in the country, and yet the entire state of Michigan is supposed to be just smokestacks and welfare. We live less than an hour by freeway from downtown Detroit in a very nice, newer subdivision surrounded by cornfields. Life here revolves around farmers' markets and Friday night football. But...nope, can't be true, we live in MICHIGAN!!!! LOL. If ignorance is bliss then there must be a lot of very happy people out there.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:24 PM

3,183 posts, read 5,585,021 times
In Jonestown, PA they get uptight about purple Kool-Aid jokes.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,832,068 times
I'll do the NY version...

New York City: "What do you mean, we're NOT the greatest city in the world???"

Buffalo: "We are NOT dying! There's a lot happening here!"

Rochester: "Crime in Rochester is DOWN... those murder stats are OLD!"

Syracuse: "The winters here are not THAT bad!"

Ithaca: "It's not JUST hippies and college students!"

Utica: "The Mafia has been GONE for decades!"

etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.