U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 AM

208 posts, read 366,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Seriously having lived on the East Coast most of my life and having spent considerable time in Chicago, on feel the winters in a NYC or Philly (they have identical weather bascially to the day) are more mild. Chicago has more cold days in the winter and the East Coast has more mild days. I also feel like it stays cold (meaning below 20) for longer periods (meaning continuous days) in Chicago. There is a differance, Chicago is probably closer to Boston (colder than either NYC or Philly) in reality, and this coming from someone who loves Chicago but the winters are worse and not sure the averages tell the whole story...

Expect cold weather in either but Chicago is noticeably colder IMHO

On wind speed, I believe it is a misnomer that Chicago is that windy, I think both Philly and NYC are basically as windy and anyone who has experienced winter knows wind is the killer in the cold, so no hige difference on the wind from my perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Fair enough. Lot of assumptions on my part. From what I can tell NYC has more wind than Chicago but that doesn't mean it affects the wind chill the same. Ocean vs. frozen lake and all that. Cheers!
kidphilly and Dport7674,

I must admit that in my assumptions I was relying on hearsay and various statistical reports I'd seen over the years. Apparently, it's impossible to find consensus, even among the experts. This link http://www.city-data.com/top2/c467.html is to City Data's 101 Windiest Cities list which does not even include Chicago. In fact, the only Illinois cities on the list are Springfield, Waukegan and Decatur at #s 92, 93 and 98, respectively. Is Waukegan considered part of the Chicago metro? New York City, itself shows up at #77 on this list but some of the five boroughs seem to be scattered throughout at various positions, e.g., Queens is at #40, Bronx is at #65 and Brooklyn is at #75. The only Pennsylvania city is Erie at #82.

On the other hand, this link Wind- Average Wind Speed- (MPH) from the National Climatic Data Center, does not explicitly rank the cities but shows comparative wind speeds and has Chicago with a wind speed of 10.3 mph, which is high but by no means, among the highest. Meanwhile, it shows New York City at 12.2 mph, among the highest in the nation! Philadelphia's wind speed at 9.5 mph is high but comparatively low, in terms of the windiest.

This link provides some perspective on Chicago's wind speed in a FAQ format: USATODAY.com

At first glance, it would seem that I might need to reassess my assumptions with regard to the effects of the combination of cold and wind but how can I reach a definitive conclusion when even experts differ to a significant extent? Seems the only way to really know for sure is to go to these places and stand on a corner holding up a moistened finger, (one that is not considered offensive),....repeatedly, over multiple years and seasons. And with our weather being so extraordinarily non-typical in recent years, who knows if I could get an accurate impression, even then.

I'm glad we had this discussion though, cause I am going to have to seriously reconsider some of my candidates in the northeastern part of the country for health concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Though we've spent a disproportionate amount of time on relatively few cities, I wanted to stop and provide some, hopefully useful, information links for those who are interested in the original subject of the thread as it pertains to a larger variety and selection of places.

Re: Cities with public transportation:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Public Transportation by State:
About.com: http://www.highwayhome.com/travel/citytransit/citytransitsystems.html

Re: Walkability:
Most Walkable Cities in the United States on Walk Score - New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Washington D.C.

Most Walkable Cities:
America's Most Walkable Cities, 2011 - Yahoo! Real Estate

Walkable Places:
The best walking cities | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine

Most dangerous places for pedestrians:
most-dangerous-cities-pedestrians-foxbiz: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Re: Places where cars are banned:
List of car-free places - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note: the link above lists places, worldwide. If you want to find places in the U.S., you will need to scroll down about 2/3 of the way, looking for North America and then, U.S., as you go.

Re: Ten Places to Go Carless in Retirement:
10 Places to Go Carless in Retirement - US News and World Report

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:22 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 PM

57,370 posts, read 81,793,409 times
This should help, if it hasn't been suggested already: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This should help, if it hasn't been suggested already: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Thank you, ckhthankgod,

This site and information is of such perennial interest and relevance, that it is cited or published often by different sources and with slightly different links. I believe that trend will only increase. I think one of my links above goes to the same place but my link is older, so some of the info may be outdated.

I appreciate your participation and the great info, in many of your posts, on New York, a place I like, though I've never been there.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,721,647 times
Philly is a great city for being car free, I think SEPTA is trash but hey it gets the job done.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Philly is a great city for being car free, I think SEPTA is trash but hey it gets the job done.
Thanks wordlife,

We've been so busy talking about Philly's walkability, I forgot to ask about public transportation. So, that's another vote for Philly! I think I see a trend here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or