U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,275,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Amtrak divided the East Coast into the Northeast corridor & the Southeast Corridor.

There is no such area as "The Northeast", except for Amtrak's purposes.

The MidAtlantic is the transition zone between New England & NYC and the South. That means that it gets more Southern as the region goes southward.

What is your concept of the MidAtlantic region?
Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Northern Virginia, Northern West Virginia, New Jersey, and DC. New York is more like New England and doesn't fit so I would exclude the state from being considered. North Carolina which is sometimes thrown into the mix is almost in the deep south and shares more things in common with them and doesn't fit either.

Overall the best representation of the mid atlantic states would be the areas around DC metro. So Maryland, Southern Pennsylvania, DC, and Delaware would be what I would consider to be the core of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
it's a term that has no meaning,
Neither does the North East if your from Pennsylvania since Pennsylvania has about as much in common with Massachusetts as it does with Alabama which is about next to nothing. In fact PA has more in common with the Midwestern States and Appalachia then it does with New England. New England states and Pennsylvania are just different places so why the use of a catch all term like Northeastern United States is used just shows lack of knowledge about the area.

Pennsylvania has as much if not even more in common with West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware, then it has with New York and New Jersey.

Quote:
which is popular on certain message boards where people discuss geography.
I'd say its used by people in New York and New England to argue with people living in Richmond or below to determine who belongs to who with little to no input from people living in the rest of what wikipedia considers to be the mid atlantic states. Worse yet you have people from other parts of the country chiming in using the stereotypical mason dixon line argument which shows they have never lived within a hundred miles of the mason dixon line or they would know how out of touch that is to describe where the north and south ends.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Northern Virginia, Northern West Virginia, New Jersey, and DC. New York is more like New England and doesn't fit so I would exclude the state from being considered. North Carolina which is sometimes thrown into the mix is almost in the deep south and shares more things in common with them and doesn't fit either.

Overall the best representation of the mid atlantic states would be the areas around DC metro. So Maryland, Southern Pennsylvania, DC, and Delaware would be what I would consider to be the core of the region.
Quote:
Neither does the North East if your from Pennsylvania since Pennsylvania has about as much in common with Massachusetts as it does with Alabama which is about next to nothing. In fact PA has more in common with the Midwestern States and Appalachia then it does with New England. New England states and Pennsylvania are just different places so why the use of a catch all term like Northeastern United States is used just shows lack of knowledge about the area.

Pennsylvania has as much if not even more in common with West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware, then it has with New York and New Jersey.

I'd say its used by people in New York and New England to argue with people living in Richmond or below to determine who belongs to who with little to no input from people living in the rest of what wikipedia considers to be the mid atlantic states. Worse yet you have people from other parts of the country chiming in using the stereotypical mason dixon line argument which shows they have never lived within a hundred miles of the mason dixon line or they would know how out of touch that is to describe where the north and south ends.
I disagree with some of the comments here but they are of course just personel opinions, no better or worse than those of anyone else.

But I will point out one comment I must flat out disagree with.

You say "New England states and Pennsylvania are just different places so why the use of a catch all term like Northeastern United States is used just shows lack of knowledge about the area".

Just about everybody uses the names of the different regions but nobody expects every state in them to be exactly the same. For ex. California and Montana are both in the West but nobody expects them to be exactly the same. Same with Kansas and Onio in the Midwest.

So the same with Pennsylvania and New England in the Northeast. And not even the New England states are exactly the same.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Just about everybody uses the names of the different regions but nobody expects every state in them to be exactly the same. For ex. California and Montana are both in the West but nobody expects them to be exactly the same. Same with Kansas and Onio in the Midwest.

So the same with Pennsylvania and New England in the Northeast. And not even the New England states are exactly the same.
Problem here is pretty much no one believes that Montana and California are very similar but most people do believe that Pennsylvania and New England are very similar which is the problem with lumping Pennsylvania with New England. The idea of Northeastern United States Culture which people do generally claim is extremely hollow since PA shares about as much regional culture with New England as it does Georgia which is again not much. We have more in common with states in the mid west and Appalachia then we do with New England. Geography matters and Pennsylvania doesn't border New England it borders Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York. It has more in common with those states than it does with New England...in fact PA has more in common with Virginia (the capital of the confederacy) then it does with New England as well.

Again, Pennsylvania and New England are just different places. Pennsylvania is a rust belt state and coal is an important industry in Pennsylvania with it being just behind West Virginia ranking 4th in the nation which is more common of other areas of Appalachia. Historically settlers to what are now the uppersouth states and mid west were from Pennsylvania as well so its not surprising why Pennsylvania has more common with those areas than it does with New England.

Last edited by cwa1984; 02-25-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 AM

958 posts, read 921,599 times
New York City is definitely a part of the Mid-Atlantic.

It's everything from Baltimore and DC to New York City.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:46 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2BeFree View Post
PA really has nothing to do with the Atlantic Ocean at all, PA is PA.
Never mind that the Delaware River becomes an estuary in Philadelphia, and there's a major port there as well.

Quote:
Philly is unofficially NJ's and deep down, Philadelphians know it. Unless you want to argue that Philly doesn't basically live in Atlantic City, Cape May, and Wildwood during the summer.
Then I guess Pennsylvania can lay claim to northern New Jersey since so many of them take trips to the Poconos. Or, we can just keep it simple and look at state lines, which have more of an influence on local culture than people care to think these days. Philadelphia is officially in Pennsylvania.

Quote:
PA also mooches off Trenton which isn't often mentioned, PA-Trenton commuters have surprisingly BIG salaries.
It's a bunch of ex-New Jerseyans moving to Pennsylvania to save money. So who's mooching off whom here?

Quote:
Neither does the North East if your from Pennsylvania since Pennsylvania has about as much in common with Massachusetts as it does with Alabama which is about next to nothing.
False. People who have been to both Boston and Philadelphia have picked up on the similarities between the two. And the smaller industrial towns in western and central Pennsylvania feel and behave more similarly to those in upstate New York than they do to those in the Midwest. And while Pennsylvania has a strong Appalachian influence, it's a northern Appalachian influence, which isn't quite the stereotypical "Appalachia" that people know.

Quote:
Personally, I think Pennsylvania is like New York, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and Delaware all rolled into one, with a pinch of eastern Ohio added in the west for good measure. And my definition of the Mid-Atlantic is Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia. They can be further divided into two subregions: the North Mid-Atlantic and the South Mid-Atlantic.

North Mid-Atlantic = New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania
South Mid-Atlantic = Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

The Adirondack Mountains is when you start to get more of a northern New England vibe, and Richmond, VA is when you know you're in the South. Hell, I'm tempted to include West Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic as well, since much of the state has been influenced by Pennsylvania and Virginia. It's certainly not part of the Midwest.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 02-26-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 PM

958 posts, read 921,599 times
Personally I think PA is most like New York. You've got the most major city in the south and then the smaller but major cities in other parts, and both states came into being in similar ways with industrial and other urban municipalities popping up all over the state by the 19th Century.

Oh, and that guy you quoted really is just flat out wrong in everything he said in that post. Sounds like somebody's a PA hater to me.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
The entire state of New Jersey is the only state that can say it's fully mid-atlantic without a fuss. I'm using this as a tool.
People will argue about MD for centuries, but I'd say the major metro areas in MD are clearly "mid-atlantic".. DC and Bmore suburbs have more in common with the burbs in NJ more than any suburbs down south, so MD passes as a mid-atantic in my book. Delaware shares a significant bay with New Jersey that trails into Philadelphia.. So why not consider Delaware as Mid-Atlantic too? it doesn't really pose as a significant state for the south as far as I'm concerned. wanna argue otherwise? I doubt anyone will care.
PA really has nothing to do with the Atlantic Ocean at all, PA is PA. Philly is unofficially NJ's and deep down, Philadelphians know it. Unless you want to argue that Philly doesn't basically live in Atlantic City, Cape May, and Wildwood during the summer. PA also mooches off Trenton which isn't often mentioned, PA-Trenton commuters have surprisingly BIG salaries. Eastern PA is mid-Atlantic.
The entire NYC metro area is mid-atlatic, anything past that is either New England or Upstate NY.
Most of the land mass in NYS can pass for New England to be honest.

Not sure I totally agree and this coming from a Philly resident with a shore house along the S Jersey shore

68% of the Philly MSA lives in PA, 13% in DE, and 19% in Jersey

On Mercer from an Income perspective

Median HH Income
Mercer NJ 72K (employment base 220K)
Bucks PA 76K (employment base 430K)
Montgomery PA 72K (employment base 730K)
Chester PA 82K (employment base 320K)
(this mooching comes from where?)

Others in the MSA
New Castle DE 66K
Burlington NJ 74K
Camden NJ 61K
Salem NJ 52K

Am failing to see this mooching quite honestly; though agree there is a lot of interaction

On GDP; 82% resides in PA for the MSA

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-26-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 12:31 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
68% of the Philly MSA lives in PA, 13% in DE, and 19% in Jersey

On GDP; 84% resides in PA for the MSA
Wow, Pennsylvania has 68% of the Philadelphia MSA's population, but 84% of its GDP? That's a large split.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:40 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Wow, Pennsylvania has 68% of the Philadelphia MSA's population, but 84% of its GDP? That's a large split.

I calculated this a while back; it may be 82% actually

But to be fair much of NJ in the Philly MSA is far more bedroom community into PA (and even DE) than commerce and industrial centers

the PA portion (4 million plus people) of the MSA has a GDP per cap of about 80K per
New Castle DE is at 100K per cap GDP actually

Mercer (15 miles north of Philadelphia and part of the NY CSA) as was discussed in the original post is quite the economic engine (though small) with a 110K per cap GDP; but remember Mercer county is only 300K in population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or