U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 04:02 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Wow, You call NYC the lower northeast? To me that's specifically reserved for Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Interesting because parts of NJ are more north than all of NYC. If New England is New England, and part of the Northeast, and NJ and PA are the "lower Northeast", then where does NYS/NYC fit in in your view?

Personally, I don't identify much with Mid-Atlantic. I would say NJ is in it for sure, but if people ask what region I'm from I say the Northeast. I'm a Northeasterner first if we're discussing regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 04:16 PM

582 posts, read 777,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Personally, I don't identify much with Mid-Atlantic. I would say NJ is in it for sure, but if people ask what region I'm from I say the Northeast. I'm a Northeasterner first if we're discussing regions.
Interesting. In Maryland, I'd say most people identify as being from the Mid-Atlantic first and the Northeast only when pressed to say some greater region than the Mid-Atlantic. There's not very much "we're Northeastern" self-identity in the state, even if urban Maryland's culture would align it so.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:47 PM

1,112 posts, read 696,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
What the hell is "Lower Northeast"? Lived Upstate NY and never heard this term; been all through Maryland and PA and never heard it either...

Hint: it doesn't really exist...
It's just a convenience that is used by some, which causes it to have varying meanings for some (to me, it's the southern end of the Northeast, not even half of the region).

Old 05-01-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Interesting because parts of NJ are more north than all of NYC. If New England is New England, and part of the Northeast, and NJ and PA are the "lower Northeast", then where does NYS/NYC fit in in your view?

I had a subsequent post that clarified what I meant. NYC is on Connecticut's doorstep--it's "up there" IMO. The southern halves of so of PA and NJ as well as northern DE are in the "region" to me.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Interesting. In Maryland, I'd say most people identify as being from the Mid-Atlantic first and the Northeast only when pressed to say some greater region than the Mid-Atlantic. There's not very much "we're Northeastern" self-identity in the state, even if urban Maryland's culture would align it so.
That's true. A lot of people here refer to "the south" as another place and "the north" as another place, though it's probably different outside of the Baltimore metro.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:11 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,149,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
That's true. A lot of people here refer to "the south" as another place and "the north" as another place, though it's probably different outside of the Baltimore metro.
I agree. It seems people here don't know what they are, but they know they aren't southern and they know they're not NYC; however, they seem to not want it any other way.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:46 AM

1,228 posts, read 582,192 times
I know that I'm being lazy but bear with me. What is the Mid-Atlantic (what's its culture, climate, and other attributes this region)? What makes New York City (and state) Mid-Atlantic along with Northern New Jersey? What makes Philadelphia (and South Jersey) Mid-Atlantic along with Wilmington, DE (and the rest of DE)? What makes Baltimore & DC Mid-Atlantic along with the rest of Maryland & how does New York relate to Maryland and can someone really mistake a Black person from Alexandria with a Black Philadelphian and why is Northern VA the cut-off point with this Mid-Atlantic concept?

Last edited by 80s_kid; 05-02-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 01:13 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,227,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I know that I'm being lazy but bear with me. What is the Mid-Atlantic (what's its culture, climate, and other attributes this region)? What makes New York City (and state) Mid-Atlantic along with Northern New Jersey? What makes Philadelphia (and South Jersey) Mid-Atlantic along with Wilmington, DE (and the rest of DE)? What makes Baltimore & DC Mid-Atlantic along with the rest of Maryland & how does New York relate to Maryland and can someone really mistake a Black person from Alexandria with a Black Philadelphian and why is Northern VA the cut-off point with this Mid-Atlantic concept?
Because below Northern Virginia the culture and dialect cease to have any ties to Northern Virginia upward that's why.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:19 PM

582 posts, read 777,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Because below Northern Virginia the culture and dialect cease to have any ties to Northern Virginia upward that's why.
If we're going by dialect though, NY shouldn't be in the mix, should it? As it doesn't have a Midland dialect like the rest of the region predominantly does.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
There is no real regional identity. It just is a way to combine the parts of the NE that aren't New England and the parts of the South that have become un-southern culturally (think DC area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or