U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-07-2016, 11:50 AM
 
1,112 posts, read 697,268 times
Reputation: 396

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Who invited you in on this conversation? Go away.
I invited myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2016, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
I invited myself
Mind your own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2016, 11:53 AM
 
1,112 posts, read 697,268 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's almost impossible for me to see Baltimore not being the core Mid-Atlantic city.
Well, Mid-Atlantic can mean "former middle colonies" or it can mean "places that are northeastern in recent broad definitions" (think VA, DC etc.).

I don't see what makes Baltimore of all cities quintessentially Mid-Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2016, 11:55 AM
 
1,112 posts, read 697,268 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Mind your own business.
Wow! You replied so fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2016, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Wow! You replied so fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2016, 01:28 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 697,268 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I guess the real question is, "why is there no true Mid-Atlantic"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 2 days ago)
 
1,238 posts, read 584,349 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
I also forgot to post that while I agree with you on West Virginia. But as someone who used to go to Virginia yearly, U146 is right about Virginia. Virginia is when you're really in the South.
That's fair. Where I'm coming from, I'm not really talking about the former middle colonies official Mid-Atlantic. I do see Baltimore, DC, and the rest of Maryland as ground zero for everything Mid-Atlantic in the colloquial sense. I see this type of Mid-Atlantic as the middle ground between Northeast & Southeast. It was mentioned before but Hampton Roads and RVA do have businesses with the Mid-Atlantic moniker in the title. Virginia can definitely claim to be both Southern (it skews that way more than MD) and Mid-Atlantic (I mean, Boston is Northeast and New England at the same time so...).

With me, the official Mid-Atlantic are the former middle colonies (yes, DE was in that group). I understand that MD and DC aren't Southeast in modern day culture but they definitely aren't Northeastern and that's why I call them Mid-Atlantic and call PA, DE, NJ, and NY just Northeastern (my friends and family from those states don't relate or even use Mid-Atlantic over Northeast(ern).

I throw VA in this colloquial Mid-Atlantic because of the many commonalities that I see with MD (culturally, linguistically, historically, and all of this other metric bull$h!t folks from St. Louis use....actually, I use personal experience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2016, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
That's fair. Where I'm coming from, I'm not really talking about the former middle colonies official Mid-Atlantic. I do see Baltimore, DC, and the rest of Maryland as ground zero for everything Mid-Atlantic in the colloquial sense. I see this type of Mid-Atlantic as the middle ground between Northeast & Southeast. It was mentioned before but Hampton Roads and RVA do have businesses with the Mid-Atlantic moniker in the title. Virginia can definitely claim to be both Southern (it skews that way more than MD) and Mid-Atlantic (I mean, Boston is Northeast and New England at the same time so...).

With me, the official Mid-Atlantic are the former middle colonies (yes, DE was in that group). I understand that MD and DC aren't Southeast in modern day culture but they definitely aren't Northeastern and that's why I call them Mid-Atlantic and call PA, DE, NJ, and NY just Northeastern (my friends and family from those states don't relate or even use Mid-Atlantic over Northeast(ern).

I throw VA in this colloquial Mid-Atlantic because of the many commonalities that I see with MD (culturally, linguistically, historically, and all of this other metric bull$h!t folks from St. Louis use....actually, I use personal experience).
That's funny because I don't see any cultural or linguistic similarities between MD and VA at all except with regards to Southern Maryland. You're full of crap there. Professional linguists clearly group most of Maryland in with Pennsylvania and Delaware before anywhere in Virginia outside NOVA. And having been to both Maryland and Virginia numerous times I can attest to their being virtually no cultural similarities between the vast majority of Maryland and the vast majority of Virginia. So I too am using personal experience. I suggest getting solid sources to back up your claims instead of your bull**** personal opinion. Otherwise you're useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2016, 04:12 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 697,268 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
That's funny because I don't see any cultural or linguistic similarities between MD and VA at all except with regards to Southern Maryland. You're full of crap there. Professional linguists clearly group most of Maryland in with Pennsylvania and Delaware before anywhere in Virginia outside NOVA. And having been to both Maryland and Virginia numerous times I can attest to their being virtually no cultural similarities between the vast majority of Maryland and the vast majority of Virginia. So I too am using personal experience. I suggest getting solid sources to back up your claims instead of your bull**** personal opinion. Otherwise you're useless.
Fully southern accents are between 50-60% of the area, depending on the source. Definite Midland (southern "influenced") is the top third.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2016, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Fully southern accents are between 50-60% of the area, depending on the source. Definite Midland (southern "influenced") is the top third.
In terms of Maryland? Midland is the majority accent in the state by at least 60%. Only Southern Maryland speaks the fully Southern accent. With Virginia, roughly 80% of the state speaks the fully Southern dialect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top