U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-10-2016, 06:20 AM
 
Location: mo county md
567 posts, read 330,390 times
Reputation: 727

Advertisements

Somewhat baffled by VA not being included. Look at a map, it's in the *middle* of the eastern seaboard.

Also find it funny how some of you have this provincial mentality that any association with the south is somehow a defect. Subtract NYC and there's nothing desirable about the Northeast imo. I don't get how anyone could think the Northeast is so uniform either. Besides a few commonalities (which you can find comparing almost any places), states like MD and NY really aren't that similar, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2016, 05:03 PM
 
Location: East Coast
59 posts, read 55,406 times
Reputation: 85
I agree....the way I look at things is who cares what someone on the internet that doesn't live in the region thinks what it should be called? You can make hay of my state and I could care less. My opinion is that people that opine back and forth are never going to change anyone's mind and probably are just trying to convince themselves. They are probably a lot of fun at parties and bar mitzvahs!

So my opinion is Virginia is considered IN the mid-Atlantic region but in the end just not something to get riled about....

My .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 696,495 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Somewhat baffled by VA not being included. Look at a map, it's in the *middle* of the eastern seaboard.

Also find it funny how some of you have this provincial mentality that any association with the south is somehow a defect. Subtract NYC and there's nothing desirable about the Northeast imo. I don't get how anyone could think the Northeast is so uniform either. Besides a few commonalities (which you can find comparing almost any places), states like MD and NY really aren't that similar, for example.
The Mid-Atlantic came from the middle states, which came from the middle colonies. It was not about being in the middle of the eastern seaboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 06:11 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 696,495 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
The Mid-Atlantic isn't Southern. Only New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and NOVA are in the Mid-Atlantic. The rest of Virginia has nothing in common with any of those other states culturally, linguistically, etc. and should not be considered Mid-Atlantic. I've given you TWO maps not Aschmann that come from the University of Texas and University of Pennsylvania, yet you only acknowledge that I've given you one. Baltimore is outside of the Southern dialect for even the one map you gave me. I don't see why you want to be Southern so badly but the fact is you aren't.
I never said Baltimore was fully in the southern region, nlst . LOL, I don't "want" Baltimore to be southern; I just understand why people would say it is... especially because natives have called the city southern. IIRC the Texas map did not include Maryland in any dialect region.

What accent does this man have to you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQKTrIf5kuk

And what accent do the women in this video have?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WqnqJskL6O4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 07:15 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,746 posts, read 6,152,030 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
I never said Baltimore was fully in the southern region, nlst . LOL, I don't "want" Baltimore to be southern; I just understand why people would say it is... especially because natives have called the city southern. IIRC the Texas map did not include Maryland in any dialect region.

What accent does this man have to you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQKTrIf5kuk

And what accent do the women in this video have?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WqnqJskL6O4
The man in the first video has an old southern Maryland accent. I knew new Maryland had a southern accent until I Started researching it in YouTube. It seems to have died out down there tho and has taken on a Baltimore accent.

The lady in the 2nd video has a Baltimore accent. It sounds a bit exaggerated tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 03:20 AM
 
1,112 posts, read 696,495 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The man in the first video has an old southern Maryland accent. I knew new Maryland had a southern accent until I Started researching it in YouTube. It seems to have died out down there tho and has taken on a Baltimore accent.

The lady in the 2nd video has a Baltimore accent. It sounds a bit exaggerated tho.
How has SoMD taken on a Baltimore accent? . The people down there still have accents, but younger folks just don't have accents that are as thick.

That's her actual accent. It's just heavy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 1 hour ago)
 
1,235 posts, read 582,808 times
Reputation: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny07940 View Post
I agree....the way I look at things is who cares what someone on the internet that doesn't live in the region thinks what it should be called? You can make hay of my state and I could care less. My opinion is that people that opine back and forth are never going to change anyone's mind and probably are just trying to convince themselves. They are probably a lot of fun at parties and bar mitzvahs!

So my opinion is Virginia is considered IN the mid-Atlantic region but in the end just not something to get riled about....

My .02
You are right. VA (NoVa, RVA, Hampton Roads) is Mid-Atlantic to me and I have multiple real life reasons for this. The poster who doesnít even live in the area is still chirping but itís just funny to me now because heís saying some outlandish stuff.



Anyway, down here in ATL, I ran into a guy from RVA who was sporting a shirt that had Maryland Chesapeake in bold with a huge red crab on the frontÖ.My point? Well, itís nothing for people living in RVA to go up into Maryland to visit friends, fam, do business, etc and vice versa (itís like that with MD and PA/DE too). I saw it first hand while living there. This U146 guy makes it seem as if people from the top section of the Chesapeake Bay donít mess with areas around the lower parts of the Chesapeake. I laugh now whenever he tries to tell everyone how close Northern VA is to Jersey City from a cultural, linguistic, and political standpoint while saying that other parts of VA are basically lower Alabama.


The Mid-Atlantic to me is the colloquial one instead of the official one. DE is Mid-Atlantic but more Northeastern overall (with some gray in the southern part of the state). VA is Mid-Atlantic but more Southeastern or South Atlantic (lots of traits it shares with gray area MD). Maryland and DC are definitely the epicenter of this Mid-Atlantic in my opinion (regional gray area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 05:08 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,746 posts, read 6,152,030 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
How has SoMD taken on a Baltimore accent? . The people down there still have accents, but younger folks just don't have accents that are as thick.

That's her actual accent. It's just heavy.
I don't know how they've taken on accents similar to Baltimore's, but that's what I hear when listening to them speak. Also, I met a group of black women from Salisbury, and for some strange reason, they all had Philly accents, yet they were born and raised in Salisbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 09:07 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 696,495 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I don't know how they've taken on accents similar to Baltimore's, but that's what I hear when listening to them speak. Also, I met a group of black women from Salisbury, and for some strange reason, they all had Philly accents, yet they were born and raised in Salisbury.
Well, I guess it could sound similar to Baltimore's because Baltimore is also related to the VA Piedmont dialect region. The Mid-Atlantic Dialects

Quote:
Further south are two distinct types of Southern dialects divided by the Chesapeake Bay: the Delmarva variety, on the Eastern Shore, and the Virginia Piedmont type from Baltimore south on the western shore.
We all know about Labov, who considers Baltimore and Philadelphia extremities of one dialect region. He's done extensive research on the Philly accent, so he's pretty credible, too.

About the Philly accents, are you being facetious? Salisbury is 140 miles away and barely connected to Philadelphia. It's down by Virginia.

Last edited by ialmostforgot; 05-11-2016 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 09:14 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 696,495 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
You are right. VA (NoVa, RVA, Hampton Roads) is Mid-Atlantic to me and I have multiple real life reasons for this. The poster who doesnít even live in the area is still chirping but itís just funny to me now because heís saying some outlandish stuff.



Anyway, down here in ATL, I ran into a guy from RVA who was sporting a shirt that had Maryland Chesapeake in bold with a huge red crab on the frontÖ.My point? Well, itís nothing for people living in RVA to go up into Maryland to visit friends, fam, do business, etc and vice versa (itís like that with MD and PA/DE too). I saw it first hand while living there. This U146 guy makes it seem as if people from the top section of the Chesapeake Bay donít mess with areas around the lower parts of the Chesapeake. I laugh now whenever he tries to tell everyone how close Northern VA is to Jersey City from a cultural, linguistic, and political standpoint while saying that other parts of VA are basically lower Alabama.


The Mid-Atlantic to me is the colloquial one instead of the official one. DE is Mid-Atlantic but more Northeastern overall (with some gray in the southern part of the state). VA is Mid-Atlantic but more Southeastern or South Atlantic (lots of traits it shares with gray area MD). Maryland and DC are definitely the epicenter of this Mid-Atlantic in my opinion (regional gray area).
Maryland and VA are probably more back and forth than MD and PA because of DC and because most of PA is rural. We do go up to Philly in NoMD, though. In Baltimore, I've noticed many people will have family in the suburban counties, but they move to neighboring states less than people from the Philly area. From my relatives in NJ, there are connections in SE PA and northern Delaware, but not the rest of DE or MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top