U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2016, 01:16 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 777,578 times
Reputation: 353

Advertisements

It's important to differentiate the Mid-Atlantic between the C-D cultural one, the linguistic one, and the colloquial usage of the term. Lingustically, Mid-Atlantic means one of two things: the fabricated accent actors were taught to use in the early to mid 20th century, or more commonly today, the accent group, a subgroup of the Midland Dialect, which includes Southeastern PA, Southern NJ, Northeastern to Central MD, and Northern Delaware and centers around the cities of Baltimore and Philadelphia.
City-Data likes the NY to MD definition of the Mid-Atlantic, which makes sense in some ways and is probably the oldest definition, but is notably not the same as the lingusitic definition (Northeastern PA, Northern NJ, and NYC and Upstate NY all do not have a Mid-Atlantic dialect but a Northern or NYC one). I personally define the 'cultural' Mid-Atlantic as the above minus NY - I still don't see how NY really fits in.
Then the colloquial definition is whatever you grew up hearing, and is probably what gets put on all the signs. Growing up I always equated Mid-Atlantic with the Chesapeake Bay, with MD and VA being the core states. The Mid-Atlantic was defined by the shared culture surrounding the Chesapeake Bay, despite whatever other differences MD and VA might have.
I do think people who claim there's a really significant culture shift just across the Potomac are deluded though. There are Northern-cultured areas of VA - NoVA for example, but despite being up north places like the Northern Neck and the Shenandoah Valley are absolutely Southern. And there are Southern-cultured areas of MD too - most MD south of US-50 for example.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 05-14-2016 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2016, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romedot View Post
Until you have facts to support your opinion, then I'm not convinced. Yes HR is southern at its best, but by no means does that mean it isn't midatlantic. Heck on my way to work this morning, I passed by the MidAtlantic Maritime Academy; a federal government building in Norfolk, VA. So pretty much it's your word against theirs? 🤔 The definition of Mid-Atlantic states that it's situated or occurring in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Hampton Roads is smack dab in the middle, Hello!
Its clear that the "Arch City" education system didn't teach you that, so allow me.
I have linguistics maps and personal experience in Hampton Roads to back my opinion. To say Hampton Roads is Mid Atlantic is a stretch at best. I don't need instruction from you: YOU are the one who didn't get a proper education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 08:51 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 697,268 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I have linguistics maps and personal experience in Hampton Roads to back my opinion. To say Hampton Roads is Mid Atlantic is a stretch at best. I don't need instruction from you: YOU are the one who didn't get a proper education.
#Relentless

We are all entitled to our opinions, no matter how loony they may seem to others. When you have something as abstract as the Mid-Atlantic region, there is no correct perspective to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 08:53 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 697,268 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
You don't know a thing so pipe down. YOU are the troll. It's a fact that the South doesn't start culturally or linguistically until you are below DC. NOVA isn't the South.
Well, assuming that because you quoted my post about northern Appalachian VA, in some earlier thread you thought it was so different from a part of southern PA and the one Maryland county that separated the two states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 2 days ago)
 
1,238 posts, read 584,349 times
Reputation: 1218
I keep seeing the word culturally on here. Hey U146, can you tell me what MD, PA, DE, and NJ culture is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I keep seeing the word culturally on here. Hey U146, can you tell me what MD, PA, DE, and NJ culture is?
Different from VA. I think the differences are fairly obvious to anyone with a brain. Religion is one for starters. VA is dominated by Southern Baptists in its cities and rural areas. Maryland and the rest of the states you mentioned aren't. That's just one characteristic of many that separates it apart. And you scoff at any linguistic maps I provide because you simply can't acknowledge you're wrong. Fine by me. Live in denial.

Last edited by U146; 05-16-2016 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Well, assuming that because you quoted my post about northern Appalachian VA, in some earlier thread you thought it was so different from a part of southern PA and the one Maryland county that separated the two states.
If I said that it was because you named a town in Virginia that I didn't know the location of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
#Relentless

We are all entitled to our opinions, no matter how loony they may seem to others. When you have something as abstract as the Mid-Atlantic region, there is no correct perspective to take.
Except my opinion is based on facts. Your opinions aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 2 days ago)
 
1,238 posts, read 584,349 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Different from VA. I think the differences are fairly obvious to anyone with a brain. Religion is one for starters. VA is dominated by Southern Baptists in its cities and rural areas. Maryland and the rest of the states you mentioned aren't. That's just one characteristic of many that separates it apart. And you scoff at any linguistic maps I provide because you simply can't acknowledge you're wrong. Fine by me. Live in denial.
"Different from VA." You really should not be saying stuff like that in bold. Anyway, the customs, beliefs, behavior, accent, terminology, etc (way of life) is what I'm getting at. I'll link you the definition of culture later on but for someone who confuses black people from DC, Philly, and Baltimore (maybe even New York too)...it's painfully obvious that we need to help you out.

I don't think you know a city's culture let alone a state's culture too well (you pick those up by visiting the area over looking at Google maps and YouTube can only take you so far).

Last edited by 80s_kid; 05-16-2016 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,229,563 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
"Different from VA." You really should not be saying stuff like that in bold. Anyway the customs, beliefs, behavior, accent, terminology, etc (way of life) is what I'm getting at. I'll link you the definition of culture later on but for someone who confuses black people from DC, Philly, and Baltimore (maybe even New York too)...it's painfully obvious that we need to help you out.
Help from you? LMAO yeah right. I think you simply resort to personal attacks when things don't go your way. And even if I needed help, you're the last person I'd ask. And religion is part of people's customary beliefs. I've already separated Virginia linguistically from Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and NJ. I don't see what else you want. It's clear you just don't accept facts and stick to your own beliefs. Fine by me, just don't go blasting insults to people who disagree with you. Politics is another way in which Virginia is different from the solidly blue states of Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. How many things do I have to name off to satisfy you? Apparantly not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top