U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 08:44 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
What does minimum wage have to do with anything? That is COMPLETELY irrelevant. And Marylanders decidedly favored Northern over Southern, so that's decisive. I know how you think Maryland is Southern but the truth is its not.
How can Maryland be "decidedly" anything when a majority did not agree that it was a Northern state?

The dictionary defines "decidedly" as...

in no way uncertain or ambiguous; unquestionable; unmistakable

54% of Maryland residents think it is either (a) a Southern state or (b) not Northern or Southern. Not sure how that's conclusive. "Decidedly," I think, would be a state like Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,226,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How can Maryland be "decidedly" anything when a majority did not agree that it was a Northern state?

54% of Maryland residents think it is either (a) a Southern state or (b) not Northern or Southern. Not sure how that's conclusive. "Decidedly," I think, would be a state like Connecticut.
Sources please. In a study done by I believe the University of Texas, the amount of Marylanders who thought the state was southern was somewhere in the 40th percentile, Northern in the 60th percentile. I don't have the exact numbers but I know what I read. The vast majority of Marylanders do not consider their state to be part of the South.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Because unlike New England, the cultural connections in the Mid-Atlantic are superseded by more regional identities. Boston, Mass can name teams the "New England Patriots" and "New England Revolution" and get away with it, because that whole region has a much stronger shared cultural identity. Sure, there are some differences within (NH as more conservative, Vermont as very liberal/independent, etc.), but that whole region unites under the New England banner--quaint towns, funny accents, clam chowder, the whole bit.

Contrast this with the Mid-Atlantic. Very few people from the no-name suburbs and exurbs of New York City and Philadelphia will say they are from the Mid-Atlantic when far from home. Same thing with Baltimore and DC, to a lesser degree. There's no major, professional sports team uniting the region (much less two), as all of the major metropolitan areas are quite culturally distinct from one another. The only thing culturally "Mid-Atlantic" about the Mid-Atlantic is the fact that businesses use the name--that's about it. Yay, there's a Mid-Atlantic Sports Network in Baltimore/DC that broadcasts out to Delaware. There's a go-karting place near me that goes by "Mid-Atlantic" Grand Prix. Whoopty do.

Sure, there are shared cultural similarities between the metro areas, in terms of cuisine (crabs, scrapple, etc), accent and demographics. But even those are way less homogeneous when compared to New England, and again, there's really no shared "Mid-Atlantic" banner that unites the region. If I'm in the middle of Texas, and I have to tell people where I'm from, I'll tell them, in order: a) Wilmington, Delaware b) near Philadelphia c) the Northeast d) the East Coast. No way I'd say Mid-Atlantic, as we don't even say that around here. It's simply not a strong cultural identity, which is why it is much more of a geographical designation.

The Mid-Atlantic is simply too weakly "united" to be thought of primarily as a cultural designation, which is why I have no problems with Virginia and even North Carolina being part of it, despite their clearly Southern culture. It's essentially a geographic designation, with some cultural similarities dispersed throughout. Contrast this with New England, which is equal parts a geographic AND cultural region. The fact that you don't even know where to place New York just confirms my point.
The Mid-Atlantic excluding the Southern states you consider to be part of it (VA, NC) is more like New England than the South.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

In your own study, you said that 46% of Marylanders thought the state wasn't Southern vs. 38% who did. That's decisive even if it's close. And it's a fact that culturally and linguistically most of Maryland is not Southern and has more in common with the states to the north of it than to the South of it. In any event, we're not going to agree on this so I suggest you go your own way and I'll go mine. I've debated this to death now and I'm sick of arguing over it.

Last edited by U146; 05-19-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 09:55 AM

29,917 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
In your own study, you said that 46% of Marylanders thought the state wasn't Southern vs. 38% who did. That's decisive even if it's close.
How can it be decisive when a majority of those polled do not consider the state to be Northern?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:17 AM

1,112 posts, read 695,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How can it be decisive when a majority of those polled do not consider the state to be Northern?
Irrationality.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:28 AM

1,112 posts, read 695,289 times
Quote:
Don't like my answer? Your problem not mine. Anyone with half a brain could tell most of Maryland is nothing like Virginia culturally. It's so obvious.
Your answer is that MD and VA are a world apart when they share the DC metropolitan area, the Chesapeake Bay tidewater culture and the Delmarva peninsula. Linguistically, the Virginia Piedmont accent region extends to Anne Arundel and Prince George's counties. The tidewater accent can be found up to Queen Anne's County, with any accents further north being still influenced by it. According to linguists, the upland southern region that includes Appalachian Virginia can be found in Garrett and Allegany counties.

UPenn
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atla...ap/NatMap2.GIF

Univ of Hawaii
http://www2.leeward.hawaii.edu/hurle...dialectsus.gif

Now back up your claim, for those of us with poorer memories.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Where's the evidence of that?

Old 05-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Your answer is that MD and VA are a world apart when they share the DC metropolitan area, the Chesapeake Bay tidewater culture and the Delmarva peninsula. Linguistically, the Virginia Piedmont accent region extends to Anne Arundel and Prince George's counties. The tidewater accent can be found up to Queen Anne's County, with any accents further north being still influenced by it. According to linguists, the upland southern region that includes Appalachian Virginia can be found in Garrett and Allegany counties.

UPenn
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atla...ap/NatMap2.GIF

Univ of Hawaii
http://www2.leeward.hawaii.edu/hurle...dialectsus.gif

Now back up your claim, for those of us with poorer memories.
I said MOST of Maryland, not all of it. That Aschmann map I gave is just as valid as those other two, you just scoff at it because you think anything not done by a university is a load of crap...MANY consider that map valid. And it only included the southern parts of Anne Arundel County and PG County, not the entire counties themselves. The University of Hawaii map has no sample speakers either, so I don't consider that to be a valid study, unlike Aschmann and University of Pennsylvania. Central and Northern Maryland don't share the same dialect as Virginia except for NOVA and that's pretty much indisputable. Your attempt to pick my statements apart is pathetic. I know you and BajanYankee believe Maryland is Southern, but the truth is it isn't. If you don't agree with me, go away.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:12 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,971,553 times
Quote:
Where's the evidence of that?
46% does not constitute a majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or