U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 04:03 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
It included about half (and that's being conservative for you) of AA and PG Cos. Either way, those counties were fully in the "southern" region as was Virginia. Since you want to nitpick.

And now I pose a question to all: why would all these people from "Arch City" have so much pain regarding the classification of Maryland and Virginia?
I already told you I have relatives that are Maryland natives. You forgot. Maybe you should change your username.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 04:17 PM

1,112 posts, read 694,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I already told you I have relatives that are Maryland natives. You forgot. Maybe you should change your username.
How is Maryland culture a world apart from Virginia's? I forgot what your evidence and sources were, so could you bring them up for us really quickly?

I don't know why you're trying to threaten me. It would be more prudent to assume a diplomatic tone.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
How is Maryland culture a world apart from Virginia's? I forgot what your evidence and sources were, so could you bring them up for us really quickly?

I don't know why you're trying to threaten me. It would be more prudent to assume a diplomatic tone.
Go away. You obviously are convinced Maryland and Virginia are culturally identical. I'm not going to waste my time explaining to you otherwise. Stop bugging me.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:57 PM

1,112 posts, read 694,992 times
Quote:
Go away. You obviously are convinced Maryland and Virginia are culturally identical. I'm not going to waste my time explaining to you otherwise. Stop bugging me.
I'm not bugging you if you are choosing to discourse with me. I have not once claimed the states were culturally identical. I think they are culturally similar.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not bugging you if you are choosing to discourse with me. I have not once claimed the states were culturally identical. I think they are culturally similar.
NOVA has cultural similarities to central and northern Maryland. However only Southern Maryland has cultural similarities to the remaining 2/3 of VA.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:25 PM

1,223 posts, read 579,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Because unlike New England, the cultural connections in the Mid-Atlantic are superseded by more regional identities. Boston, Mass can name teams the "New England Patriots" and "New England Revolution" and get away with it, because that whole region has a much stronger shared cultural identity. Sure, there are some differences within (NH as more conservative, Vermont as very liberal/independent, etc.), but that whole region unites under the New England banner--quaint towns, funny accents, clam chowder, the whole bit.

Contrast this with the Mid-Atlantic. Very few people from the no-name suburbs and exurbs of New York City and Philadelphia will say they are from the Mid-Atlantic when far from home. Same thing with Baltimore and DC, to a lesser degree. There's no major, professional sports team uniting the region (much less two), as all of the major metropolitan areas are quite culturally distinct from one another. The only thing culturally "Mid-Atlantic" about the Mid-Atlantic is the fact that businesses use the name--that's about it. Yay, there's a Mid-Atlantic Sports Network in Baltimore/DC that broadcasts out to Delaware. There's a go-karting place near me that goes by "Mid-Atlantic" Grand Prix. Whoopty do.

Sure, there are shared cultural similarities between the metro areas, in terms of cuisine (crabs, scrapple, etc), accent and demographics. But even those are way less homogeneous when compared to New England, and again, there's really no shared "Mid-Atlantic" banner that unites the region. If I'm in the middle of Texas, and I have to tell people where I'm from, I'll tell them, in order: a) Wilmington, Delaware b) near Philadelphia c) the Northeast d) the East Coast. No way I'd say Mid-Atlantic, as we don't even say that around here. It's simply not a strong cultural identity, which is why it is much more of a geographical designation.

The Mid-Atlantic is simply too weakly "united" to be thought of primarily as a cultural designation, which is why I have no problems with Virginia and even North Carolina being part of it, despite their clearly Southern culture. It's essentially a geographic designation, with some cultural similarities dispersed throughout. Contrast this with New England, which is equal parts a geographic AND cultural region. The fact that you don't even know where to place New York just confirms my point.

I donít know. I canít help but to notice the maritime culture thatís so associated with MD and VA. Itís kind of funny because when you see a place of business in Central VA, NoVa, & Hampton Roads use Mid-Atlantic____, you really take ownership of the term in your mind. It really becomes a ďWe use it because itís our cultureĒ type of thing. Itís kind of crazy because it really was used for NY, NJ, PA, & DE. Now that I have this half @ssed exposition out of the way, whatís so ďMid-AtlanticĒ about PA, NJ, and NY (LOL) have from a cultural standpoint? Iím talking about the regional fluidity and Chesapeake maritime culture (or something similar) of varying degrees. When Iím in MD or VA my mindís on seafood and ish but I think of delis and Italian food (kind of like when Iím in NYC and Northern NJ in addition to diners and other places). Again, I know this sounds funny because PA and NY are part of the original Mid-Atlantic. Itís kind of hard to shake the thought of PA being in the informal Mid-Atlantic because from the beginning to now, itís Northeastern (along with NJ & NY) with no derivatives of another culture (Sud). Iím open though.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:26 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
NOVA has cultural similarities to central and northern Maryland. However only Southern Maryland has cultural similarities to the remaining 2/3 of VA.
And western MD has cultural similarities to western VA, as it is all Appalachia.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 PM

7,730 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And western MD has cultural similarities to western VA, as it is all Appalachia.
The Appalachian regions of each state are so sparsely populated that I couldn't say if they are the same or different. I'd throw PA in that mix as well.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No western MD has similarities to SW Pennsylvania and northern WV, neither of which are Southern. Nice try.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Appalachian regions of each state are so sparsely populated that I couldn't say if they are the same or different. I'd throw PA in that mix as well.
Appalachia is a cultural subregion in itself...of course western MD and western VA have lots of similarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or