U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:15 PM

3,734 posts, read 3,847,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
That article says that Virginia Beach is mid-Atlantic. I thought y'all's version of the story was that it stopped at DC?
Because it goes by states. It also lists Rochester and Buffalo as mid-Atlantic. They are not, just happen to be in NYS.

Last edited by Gantz; 11-07-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:16 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,110,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Because it goes by states. It also lists Rochester as mid-Atlantic. It's not.
Uh oh. A dissenter. Something is rotten in the mid-Atlantic.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,191,279 times
The Mid-Atlantic, formally, is DC to NYC. However, the Mason-Dixon line serves a major cultural boundary in the Mid-Atlantic. People in Maryland refer to Philly, New Jersey and NYC as "up north". Some NYers look at Maryland as if it were a southern state. Maryland is, technically, a southern state. All in all, Maryland and Delaware can be more accurately described as border states, not being competely northern or southern in characteristics. However, the I-95 Baltimore-Washington corridor is very much a part of the East Coast (an important part at that). DC, Baltimore and their suburbs are very northern in culture and lifestyle while southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore are very southern in culture.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:19 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
That article says that Virginia Beach is mid-Atlantic. I thought y'all's version of the story was that it stopped at DC?
My own person version does, yes, never really thought of Hampton Roads as Mid Atlantic but maybe it extends as far as the Chesepeake dunno, but honestly I have never heard anyone say Philly is not a Mid Atlantic area. I hear Northeat, Eastern Seaboard, and Mid Atlantic as regions for the Philly area, typically it is not even referred to as the North unless in the context of a much broader North/South discussion

Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
The Mid-Atlantic, formally, is DC to NYC. However, the Mason-Dixon line serves a major cultural boundary in the Mid-Atlantic. People in Maryland refer to Philly, New Jersey and NYC as "up north". Some NYers look at Maryland as if it were a southern state. Maryland is, technically, a southern state. All in all, Maryland and Delaware can be more accurately described as border states, not being competely northern or southern in characteristics. However, the I-95 Baltimore-Washington corridor is very much a part of the East Coast (an important part at that). DC, Baltimore and their suburbs are very northern in culture and lifestyle while southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore are very southern in culture.

Parts of the Delvmarva penninsula feel like their own world

Old 11-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Uh oh. A dissenter. Something is rotten in the mid-Atlantic.
Notice how my assertion is still correct. None of the people who actually live in mid-Atlantic are confused. We all know where we live. It's only the people, like you, who do not live here that are confused. I am glad all of us collectively could clear up your confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Parts of the Delvmarva penninsula feel like their own world
How bad is it? I've only been to Rehoboth, but that place was crowded with people from DC and Philly, so I don't think it was *that* representative of the area.

Last edited by Gantz; 11-07-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 PM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Quote:
Read the article:

"West Virginia and parts of Virginia are atypical of this region in several ways. They are the only states to lie primarily within the Southern American dialect region,[8] and the major religious tradition in both states is Evangelical Christian, 31% in Virginia and 36% in West Virginia.[9] Although a few of West Virginia's eastern panhandle counties are considered part of the Washington, D.C. MSA, the major portion of the state is rural, and there are no major or even large cities."
Mid-Atlantic states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-07-2011, 03:00 PM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
So far all the people from Mid-Atlantic said the same thing. The only people who are confused are not from this area in the first place.

I bet you $100 that there are more people who live in Mid-Atlantic who can clearly define "Mid-Atlantic", compared to the Southerners who can clearly define "the South".
I lived in South Jersey for over 40 years. I don't know anyone who thinks that NYC or North Jersey is MidAtlantic. I do know people who think that it extends down into the Piedmont region of NC.

I was taught that NY & NC were the swing states of the region.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I lived in South Jersey for over 40 years. I don't know anyone who thinks that NYC or North Jersey is MidAtlantic. I do know people who think that it extends down into the Piedmont region of NC.

I was taught that NY & NC were the swing states of the region.
What the HELL man? Where do you think NYC/NJ is? New England? This is pretty much common knowledge.
They even refer to this region as mid-Atlantic on the weather channel...

Old 11-07-2011, 03:43 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,213 times
Quote:
it's a term that has no meaning, which is popular on certain message boards where people discuss geography.

mid-atlantic is generally the places that southerners think of as northern, and northerners think of as southern. NC, VA, MD, DC, DE, PA, and NJ are all possible candidates.
I don't know of any southerners who think of North Carolina as northern, and very few would think of Virginia as northern.

Likewise, I can't imagine northerners viewing Pennsylvania and New Jersey as southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or