U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 05:51 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
"Western MD" is not bordered by VA, but by WV. The last county that borders VA going west is Frederick County, which is not in western (nor central) MD.
How is Frederick County classified within Maryland? I'm guessing from Hagerstown westward is considered western MD?

At any rate, while my geographic classification was off, I think my point still stands. There are cultural similarities between western MD and northwestern VA (and the portion of WV between them), being included within relatively close proximity of each other in Appalachia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:05 AM

28,258 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How is Frederick County classified within Maryland? I'm guessing from Hagerstown westward is considered western MD?
Quote:
As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not only was an important market town, but also the seat of justice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick,_Maryland

Old 05-20-2016, 10:14 AM

1,112 posts, read 694,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

At any rate, while my geographic classification was off, I think my point still stands. There are cultural similarities between western MD and northwestern VA (and the portion of WV between them), being included within relatively close proximity of each other in Appalachia.
Many MD maps call Frederick part of the "capital" region (really, the regions of MD most often used could be revised).

Frederick county is *associated* with western Maryland, but people from western MD don't consider Frederick or Washington counties to be a part of the region. Washington, Frederick and Carroll counties are together part of their own kind of region in Maryland because they are distinct from the heavily forested mountains of western MD and the lower Piedmont areas in the state.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:16 AM

1,112 posts, read 694,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Frederick Co. is district because it is less Midwestern linguistically and growing more than areas further west. It is still quite removed from Allegany County.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:24 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Many MD maps call Frederick part of the "capital" region (really, the regions of MD most often used could be revised).

Frederick county is *associated* with western Maryland, but people from western MD don't consider Frederick or Washington counties to be a part of the region. Washington, Frederick and Carroll counties are together part of their own kind of region in Maryland because they are distinct from the heavily forested mountains of western MD and the lower Piedmont areas in the state.
Gotcha. Maryland just has an odd shape so I know that can lead to some confusion for us current residents who aren't natives.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:45 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,016,012 times
South Jersey, Southeastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, most of the Maryland, DC, Northern Virginia.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:52 PM

627 posts, read 273,388 times
Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia

Old 03-14-2017, 09:47 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,745,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
West Virginia is only "Mid-Atlantic" if you consider Arkansas a "Gulf State" as they are about equidistant from the coasts. Virginia is more appropriately Mid-Atlantic.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 PM

24,987 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
Excuse me, I think you've dropped something.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 AM

992 posts, read 577,446 times
South New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, DC, Virginia, Eastern north Carolina

Essentially, if you drew a triangle from Wilmington, NC to Harrisburg, PA to Trenton, NJ, then you have the Mid Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or