U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2017, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
992 posts, read 580,172 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I keep seeing people saying things like "this corner of New York down to this quarter of Pennsylvania and that corner of Maryland etc., is the Mid-Atlantic". The ENTIRE state of these states are Mid-Atlantic - the Atlantic is just descriptive like the way Pacific in Pacific Northwest is. All of Oregon and Washington are Pacific Northwest, you do not have to be on top of the water, even Idaho is sometimes considered PNW and she is no where near the Pacific coast.

Another example are the Gulf States along the Gulf of Mexico - the whole state is considered a Gulf state, not just the part by the Gulf of Mexico.
Perhaps that goes to show that a lot of states have really bad borders that don't properly represent groups of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2017, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,102 posts, read 4,747,567 times
Reputation: 5379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Perhaps that goes to show that a lot of states have really bad borders that don't properly represent groups of people.
State borders are rarely if ever a good indication of cultural traits. That's for damn sure.

That's why I hate the whole concept of "red state, blue state" and the like. It misses the nuance entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 07:30 AM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,994 posts, read 3,472,887 times
Reputation: 2473
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
State borders are rarely if ever a good indication of cultural traits. That's for damn sure.

That's why I hate the whole concept of "red state, blue state" and the like. It misses the nuance entirely.
State borders in today's age are useless with regards to cultural definition. This past election proves this three times over, there is more of an urban-rural divide than anything. You can take a map and place your finger on it and follow the line of I-95 all the way up from VA well past NYC and even up to Boston, and find more in common with the places along that corridor, than you would if you searched for cultural similarities in some of the same states on the East Coast. i.e. southeastern PA vs central or western PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 09:03 AM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,498,853 times
Reputation: 3411
There are two meanings. Geographically, NYC metro area and Long Island to the Hampton Roads metro area. Culturally, Southern South Jersey to DC with Wilmington and without Philadelphia.


Once you figure out which meaning it belongs to, the culture or the geography, then it will be easier to understand the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,512 posts, read 2,980,197 times
Reputation: 2746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
There are two meanings. Geographically, NYC metro area and Long Island to the Hampton Roads metro area. Culturally, Southern South Jersey to DC with Wilmington and without Philadelphia.


Once you figure out which meaning it belongs to, the culture or the geography, then it will be easier to understand the term.
Why would you include Wilmington and Southern New Jersey, but exclude Philadelphia? There's nothing more Mid-Atlantic about one over the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 12:38 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,498,853 times
Reputation: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Why would you include Wilmington and Southern New Jersey, but exclude Philadelphia? There's nothing more Mid-Atlantic about one over the other.
Because Philadelphia and Northern South Jersey from Atlantic city to Central and North Jersey is more in line with the true Northeast, culturally, to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,512 posts, read 2,980,197 times
Reputation: 2746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Philadelphia and Northern South Jersey with the rest of New Jersey is more in line with the true Northeast, culturally, to me.
Culturally, what is the significant difference between Wilmington and Philadelphia that would garner the former to "culturally" to be in the Mid-Atlantic and the latter not to be? Philadelphia is much more populous and quite a bit more cosmopolitan, so it has all of the amenities that that entails (skyscrapers, public transit, pro sports, concerts, conventions, etc), as it should.

But culturally, Wilmington is much closer to Philadelphia than it is to Baltimore. Same news/radio stations, same foods (scrapple, cheesesteak, water ice), same ethnic groups (AA Muslims, Irish, Italians, Puerto Ricans, etc.), same linguistics, similar private school enrollment--it's actually harder to find things that culturally differentiate the two outside of size (though they exist). If Baltimore is 100% "Mid-Atlantic", Wilmington would be like 85% and Philly would be 80%, at worst. South of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, you have a legitimate argument in cultural separation, but north of it? We're joined at the hip.

And how are you defining "Northern South Jersey" vs "Southern South Jersey"? Camden, Gloucester and Burlington counties vs Salem, Cumberland, Atlantic and Cape May counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 01:30 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,498,853 times
Reputation: 3411
^

It's just my opinion. You don't really have to read into it any further than that. Wilmington is more or less like Philadelphia but I doubt if they totally identify with it, because it is Delaware. Once you go south of Camden and Atlantic city, New Jersey gets weird to me, like it is old Dixie or somewhere. It all has to do with the people who live there.


All these places are the mid-atlantic geographically like I said earlier but culturally, it splits between being Mid-Atlantic and plain old Northeast. The Middle Region is a little of both, so it is hard to call it purely Northeast. Do you get what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2017, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,512 posts, read 2,980,197 times
Reputation: 2746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^

It's just my opinion. You don't really have to read into it any further than that. Wilmington is more or less like Philadelphia but I doubt if they totally identify with it, because it is Delaware. Once you go south of Camden and Atlantic city, New Jersey gets weird to me, like it is old Dixie or somewhere. It all has to do with the people who live there.


All these places are the mid-atlantic geographically like I said earlier but culturally, it splits between being Mid-Atlantic and plain old Northeast. The Middle Region is a little of both, so it is hard to call it purely Northeast. Do you get what I mean?
Yea, I get what you mean. I also think you're conflating the urban/rural divide with the Mid-Atlantic one. Agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2017, 06:17 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,498,853 times
Reputation: 3411
^ Well that's why people say it's just DC, Maryland and Virginia and exclude everywhere else, to make it short and sweet. That way New Jersey and Delaware can stick with the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top