U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 07:05 PM

13,373 posts, read 7,066,267 times

Advertisements

THere's definitely a cultural divide between "North South Jersey" and "South South Jersey." I had exposure in childhood to growing up in both. I don't think it's due to an urban/rural divide at all. The rural parts of Burlington County (non-Pine Barrens), for example, are not quite similar to Salem County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 10:16 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,469,663 times
Mid- Atlantic States: New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:15 AM

116 posts, read 279,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LecherousLothario View Post
...I'm truly dumbfounded that this is such a hot topic and so many people feel so vehemently about how they see the region. Didn't realize it was so scrutinized.

I sure as hell never gave it two bits of consideration more than a momentary passing thought.
This was discussed in another thread but the main reason it is a hot topic is because their is still a negative cogitation of being "southern" and there are definitely places in Northern Virginia, DC, MD, DE, and some parts of Jersey that have southern influence. It is also vise verse and many of these areas have traits of the proper NE (like Philly and NY). Since the NE has always been considered as progressive and affluent people would rather be considered a part of that culture.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:23 AM

4,110 posts, read 4,763,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
This was discussed in another thread but the main reason it is a hot topic is because their is still a negative cogitation of being "southern" and there are definitely places in Northern Virginia, DC, MD, DE, and some parts of Jersey that have southern influence. It is also vise verse and many of these areas have traits of the proper NE (like Philly and NY). Since the NE has always been considered as progressive and affluent people would rather be considered a part of that culture.
I see a lot of the opposite too though. People trying desperately to be considered southern like there's something wrong with the north.

People in PA and Ohio claiming to be southern while people in NY, Wisconsin and Michigan claim to have more on common with the south. People in Maryland almost terrified of being considered northern.

What's the deal?

Old 04-02-2017, 10:57 AM

7,773 posts, read 6,191,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I see a lot of the opposite too though. People trying desperately to be considered southern like there's something wrong with the north.

People in PA and Ohio claiming to be southern while people in NY, Wisconsin and Michigan claim to have more on common with the south. People in Maryland almost terrified of being considered northern.

What's the deal?
The way people have been flocking to the south, it's like the Northeast has lost it edge. If you're in certain cultures, you'll notice that the shift in dominance is even more pronounced. For example, in the hip-hop culture, the city with the most influence is Atlanta, meanwhile, NYC is a caricature of what it once was, and the most influential person in Philly has been a running joke for the last two years.

That's just one example.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:27 AM

992 posts, read 582,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ Well that's why people say it's just DC, Maryland and Virginia and exclude everywhere else, to make it short and sweet. That way New Jersey and Delaware can stick with the Northeast.
The mid-Atlantic is a subregion of the Northeast, and DC, MD, and VA are absolutely part of it.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:51 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,976,873 times
When I lived in DC, people often referred to DC, Maryland and Virginia as the Mid-Atlantic, but the Mid-Atlantic has always included New York, Pennsylvania and Delaware (I grew up in New York and it was universally considered Mid-Atlantic). I typically consider it to be the DC-New York corridor (with Northern Virginia but not including the rest of the state) since western Pennsylvania and Upstate New York are sort of their own somewhat hybrid region.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:37 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,118,295 times
I just went to Barnes & Noble in Alexandria, VA. I was searching for Mexico travel guides for a trip I was taking. I started glancing through the USA Travel Section and found it funny that they had a Mid-Atlantic section:

If they would have added Virginia, I would have been in agreement.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:40 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,046,629 times
I think of the Northeast as three subregions: Mid-Atlantic, New England, and Rust Belt.

Mid-Atlantic: NoVa up through the NYC metro (NoVa, DC, MD, DE, NJ, Eastern PA, and NYC)

New England: CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, and ME

Rust Belt: Interior portions of MD, PA, and NY

Old 04-02-2017, 09:50 PM

30,002 posts, read 27,554,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
The mid-Atlantic is a subregion of the Northeast, and DC, MD, and VA are absolutely part of it.
The concept of the mid-Atlantic has evolved to include parts of the South. VA is most certainly NOT a Northeastern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or