Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 10:38 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I think of the Northeast as three subregions: Mid-Atlantic, New England, and Rust Belt.

Mid-Atlantic: NoVa up through the NYC metro (NoVa, DC, MD, DE, NJ, Eastern PA, and NYC)

New England: CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, and ME

Rust Belt: Interior portions of MD, PA, and NY
I can get on board with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 12:25 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I think of the Northeast as three subregions: Mid-Atlantic, New England, and Rust Belt.

Mid-Atlantic: NoVa up through the NYC metro (NoVa, DC, MD, DE, NJ, Eastern PA, and NYC)

New England: CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, and ME

Rust Belt: Interior portions of MD, PA, and NY
I agree with this, but I think NYC is seperate and a nexus of the three other reasons.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I agree with this, but I think NYC is seperate and a nexus of the three other reasons.

I can see this point though would also argue that NYC is absolutely not New England whereas I am not sure you could say NYC is not Mid Atlantic

I guess you could argue far flung exurbs of the CSA are new englandish but 85+% is not while I would say close to 50% absolutely is Mid Atlantic

I still put NYC as part of the Mid Atlantic personally, albeit nearing the edge

Old 04-03-2017, 01:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
How is NYC a link to the Rustbelt? Maybe in the 1980s, but no way today.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:08 PM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Maryland and Delaware are not Southeastern states.
But they're in the South according to some, at least Baltimore and DC are....rendering the Mid-Atlantic states designation non-existent.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:15 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
But they're in the South according to some, at least Baltimore and DC are....rendering the Mid-Atlantic states designation non-existent.
Baltimore and DC are Mid-Atlantic southern cities, Philly and NYC are Mid Atlantic quintessential northeastern cities.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:15 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
How is NYC a link to the Rustbelt? Maybe in the 1980s, but no way today.
I think greater NYC is an independent region bordered by the Northeast corner of the Mid-Atlantic (Philadelphia), and the southwest corner of New England (New Haven.) The Rust Belt/Interior Northeast borders NYC to the west, northwest, and north.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:39 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore and DC are Mid-Atlantic southern cities, Philly and NYC are Mid Atlantic quintessential northeastern cities.
DC isn't a southern city. It's the southern most anchor of the northeast corridor.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:23 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC isn't a southern city. It's the southern most anchor of the northeast corridor.
That doesn't make a northeastern city. Plus, the south is killing the game right now much more so than most northern cities.

DC, Dallas, ATL, Miami, Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh are all hot right now.

Baltimore, Richmond, Hampton Roads, Orlando are all warming up.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:49 PM

368 posts, read 453,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That doesn't make a northeastern city. Plus, the south is killing the game right now much more so than most northern cities.

DC, Dallas, ATL, Miami, Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh are all hot right now.

Baltimore, Richmond, Hampton Roads, Orlando are all warming up.
Baltimore & DC arent really southern. DC is basically an extension of Virginia, which is already a semi southern/semi northeastern state, this ain 1880 VA is slowly drifting away from its upper south past and goin into its mid atlantic/lower northeast future. As for Baltimore, aside from demographics its exactly like Philly, with some "country" VA traits as well. Philly & NYC are the heart of the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.