U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 AM

1,991 posts, read 873,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But seriously, how many people out there are regularly discussing subregions like that? As long as I've been in the DMV (and South Jersey before that), I've seen "mid-Atlantic" in the names of businesses and things of that nature but I don't recall anybody mentioning the mid-Atlantic in a general conversation. Sometimes I think that we forget that we're nerds when it comes to this type of stuff and 98.7% of the general public couldn't care less.
I know nobody in New York says Mid-Atlantic. Iím hear East Coast all the time though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:10 AM

29,968 posts, read 27,480,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
That's the point, Mutiny. When topics of geographical identity do come up, almost nobody in New York says Mid-Atlantic. I think we all understand that we habe conversations here that aren't typical of offline conversations. It's that when these conversations do arise, this isn't an identification that New Yorkers tend to, whereas when it does arise in Virginia, there definitely is an identification to a greater extent...
I can see that. I think for places like Philly and NYC, they identify with their city first and foremost and then Northern/Northeastern/East Coast. There's really nothing else to speak of after that.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:41 AM

3,334 posts, read 1,672,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Amtrak divided the East Coast into the Northeast corridor & the Southeast Corridor.

[U]There is no such area as "The Northeast"[/u], except for Amtrak's purposes.

The MidAtlantic is the transition zone between New England & NYC and the South. That means that it gets more Southern as the region goes southward.

What is your concept of the MidAtlantic region?
I know this post is old and the OP may no longer be active, but I don’t understand the declaration that “there is no such area as The Northeast.” The Northeast has been a census-defined area for decades (a century). The Northeast is obviously a commonly used geographic term today. I’m wondering if you meant to say there is no such area as the “mid Atlantic?”

There are many variable definitions of this region. To me, the epicenter at a state level is Maryland (including DC) and Delaware (and definitely part, maybe all of Virginia), with the region expanding north through Pennsylvania to the NYC metro area, south through Virginia to include part of NC, and west to West Virginia. Although there are lots of different definitions. This is just my personal one that first comes to mind.

Mid Atlantic best describes Maryland and DC, because they have always officially been defined by the census as “Southern” although to me they are Southern light (they are border states that have properties of both regions). Even though most still classify them as northern even though they’re technically Southern; I personally still group them with the south (Southern light) and consider Delaware northern, even though they’re all technically southern.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:02 AM

7,147 posts, read 9,930,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I know nobody in New York says Mid-Atlantic. Iím hear East Coast all the time though!
Actually I would say we say Northeast in New York far more than Mid-Atlantic and certainly far more than East Coast. New York State is more or less the heart of the Northeast, both population wise and geographic wise, especially if you leave off the more distant parts of Maine.

Regarding someone saying the Middle Atlantic only going back to the late 1890s, originally the Middle Atlantic states were called the Middle States, which in turn comes from the Middle Colonies. The concept goes back to the 1700s and possibly the 1600s. At some point the word Atlantic was added to avoid confusion with the middle of the country.

The Census Bureau definition from the early 1900s has Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey as the Middle Atlantic States while Maryland is still listed as a Southern state. The Census Bureau, which btw is located in Maryland, certainly knew more about traditionally geographic regions then we do today.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

Old 04-04-2018, 12:11 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,752,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Great. I assume you now want everyone to believe you're the mascot for the Southern Tier?

Or is spokesperson a better term?

Somehow, you being taught that doesn't diminish or nullify that in two years there, I never even heard the phrase Mid-Atlantic....
haha Perhaps not. However, I am from here. So now you've heard it.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:15 PM

22,345 posts, read 32,221,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Actually I would say we say Northeast in New York far more than Mid-Atlantic and certainly far more than East Coast. New York State is more or less the heart of the Northeast, both population wise and geographic wise, especially if you leave off the more distant parts of Maine.

Regarding someone saying the Middle Atlantic only going back to the late 1890s, originally the Middle Atlantic states were called the Middle States, which in turn comes from the Middle Colonies. The concept goes back to the 1700s and possibly the 1600s. At some point the word Atlantic was added to avoid confusion with the middle of the country.

The Census Bureau definition from the early 1900s has Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey as the Middle Atlantic States while Maryland is still listed as a Southern state. The Census Bureau, which btw is located in Maryland, certainly knew more about traditionally geographic regions then we do today.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

also in Philly for NE, though would always agree that in the Mid Atlantic too, would say Philly first, Northeast second most rarely would actually describe where I live as the Mid Atlantic but also would never question as to whether I live in the MA as part of the NE if that makes sense

Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
4,000 posts, read 3,478,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I know this post is old and the OP may no longer be active, but I don’t understand the declaration that “there is no such area as The Northeast.” The Northeast has been a census-defined area for decades (a century). The Northeast is obviously a commonly used geographic term today. I’m wondering if you meant to say there is no such area as the “mid Atlantic?”

There are many variable definitions of this region. To me, the epicenter at a state level is Maryland (including DC) and Delaware (and definitely part, maybe all of Virginia), with the region expanding north through Pennsylvania to the NYC metro area, south through Virginia to include part of NC, and west to West Virginia. Although there are lots of different definitions. This is just my personal one that first comes to mind.

Mid Atlantic best describes Maryland and DC, because they have always officially been defined by the census as “Southern” although to me they are Southern light (they are border states that have properties of both regions). Even though most still classify them as northern even though they’re technically Southern; I personally still group them with the south (Southern light) and consider Delaware northern, even though they’re all technically southern.
Maryland and DC are not "Southern light" at all. They are either Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic pick and choose, there is no other definition for them. Raleigh-Durham is "southern lite", Maryland and DC are light years ahead in that regard. Virginia is a different story.

The mid-Atlantic is the MD-DC-DE/Chesepake Bay/ Susquehanna River epicenter, which includes much of VA too. Anything else being discussed as mid-Atlantic is a stretch.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:34 PM

22,345 posts, read 32,221,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Maryland and DC are not "Southern light" at all. They are either Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic pick and choose, there is no other definition for them. Raleigh-Durham is "southern lite", Maryland and DC are light years ahead in that regard. Virginia is a different story.

The mid-Atlantic is the MD-DC-DE/Chesepake Bay/ Susquehanna River epicenter, which includes much of VA too. Anything else being discussed as mid-Atlantic is a stretch.

PA and NJ are not Mid Atlantic?

Man I was totally misinformed in School and basically by existence my whole life

who'd have thunk it

Old 04-04-2018, 01:45 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,169,947 times
Quote:

I don't know about that. MD isn't really similar to any of the states north if it. The Baltimore area definitely doesn't have any areas in the Northeast that are similar to it.

Raleigh-Durham are pretty southern

Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 PM

3,334 posts, read 1,672,682 times
Quote:

This is a circular argument that will never end, so there is no use in debating you....you all come up with the same tired arguments time and time again, because youíre embarrassed to be affiliated with the south.

Maryland and DC have ALWAYS been technically SOUTHERN. Here is the link to the Census, the Federal agency that provides official US demographic statistics.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/map...ps/reg_div.txt

Tell me where in the Northeast you will find a county like PG County??? Go to the eastern shore, southern Maryland, western maryland, and tell me thatís not southern. Point to blue collar white/rural areas in Maryland that are traditionally/historically democratic voting blocks (not including last election) like you can find in Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey. Where are your Italians, Puerto Ricans, Polish, etc? What makes Maryland/DC Northeastern? Wealthy and democratic (due to a large black population)? Many states can claim that. Mid Atlantic isnít an official region. If you consider the census definition, you all arenít that either.

I grew up in Maryland, and it is southern light imo. Although thatís not a technical term, so I understand why it bothers you so much??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or