U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:01 PM

7,750 posts, read 6,167,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep. I can understand how first-time or infrequent visitors from the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc. would automatically classify DC/Baltimore as Northern, just by the density and all the rowhouses alone. But when you've spent a fair amount of time in the region and are reasonably observant, you start picking up on things that make it evident that there's more "South" to the region than may initially meet the eye. It really and truly is a South-meets-North region in so many respects. Just look at the White House: it's just a huge Southern plantation mansion LOL.
A neoclassical house built by slaves and indentured servants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 09:24 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,066,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is a circular argument that will never end, so there is no use in debating you....you all come up with the same tired arguments time and time again, because youíre embarrassed to be affiliated with the south.

Maryland and DC have ALWAYS been technically SOUTHERN. Here is the link to the Census, the Federal agency that provides official US demographic statistics.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/map...ps/reg_div.txt

Tell me where in the Northeast you will find a county like PG County??? Go to the eastern shore, southern Maryland, western maryland, and tell me thatís not southern. Point to blue collar white/rural areas in Maryland that are traditionally/historically democratic voting blocks (not including last election) like you can find in Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey. Where are your Italians, Puerto Ricans, Polish, etc? What makes Maryland/DC Northeastern? Wealthy and democratic (due to a large black population)? Many states can claim that. Mid Atlantic isnít an official region. If you consider the census definition, you all arenít that either.

I grew up in Maryland, and it is southern light imo. Although thatís not a technical term, so I understand why it bothers you so much??
MD, although not a member of the CSA, did allow slavery prior to the Emancipation Proclamation. Further, Baltimore (and Washington) had Jim Crow segregation right up until the 1960s. So I think the argument could be made that MD is Southern Light, at least from a historical perspective.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
MD, although not a member of the CSA, did allow slavery prior to the Emancipation Proclamation. Further, Baltimore (and Washington) had Jim Crow segregation right up until the 1960s. So I think the argument could be made that MD is Southern Light, at least from a historical perspective.
Exactly.

So what makes MD not southern anymore if the rest of the southern states no longer have Jim Crow laws?

Old 04-04-2018, 09:43 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,997 posts, read 3,476,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is a circular argument that will never end, so there is no use in debating you....you all come up with the same tired arguments time and time again, because you’re embarrassed to be affiliated with the south.

Maryland and DC have ALWAYS been technically SOUTHERN. Here is the link to the Census, the Federal agency that provides official US demographic statistics.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/map...ps/reg_div.txt

Tell me where in the Northeast you will find a county like PG County??? Go to the eastern shore, southern Maryland, western maryland, and tell me that’s not southern. Point to blue collar white/rural areas in Maryland that are traditionally/historically democratic voting blocks (not including last election) like you can find in Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey. Where are your Italians, Puerto Ricans, Polish, etc? What makes Maryland/DC Northeastern? Wealthy and democratic (due to a large black population)? Many states can claim that. Mid Atlantic isn’t an official region. If you consider the census definition, you all aren’t that either.

I grew up in Maryland, and it is southern light imo. Although that’s not a technical term, so I understand why it bothers you so much??
I'm from PG county, and we are not southerners. No one in the history of my 30 plus years of living from PG County has referred to themselves as a southerner. This has nothing to do with bothering anyone. We specifically refer to southerners being those from either the lower parts of VA or NC and below. That is what Marylanders consider "down south" beginning. I'm not sure where this C-D consensus of PG being the South comes from. If there is a place in the South that replicates PG County, then that place is simply emulating the blue print of this successful Black county. PG County is just very Black, stop confusing it with the South.

Maryland has 6 million people and 900,000 plus live in PG County, the only southerners I know here are the ones who moved up from Texas etc for work.

Having Italians and Puerto Ricans doesn’t make you “Northeastern” it makes you more like New York. Where are the Puerto Rican’s in Portland, ME? There are more Puerto Ricans in MD then there are in Maine, what’s your point? Is Maryland more Northeastern than Maine? Better yet is NY more northeastern than Maine?

Last edited by the resident09; 04-04-2018 at 10:19 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Exactly.

So what makes MD not southern anymore if the rest of the southern states no longer have Jim Crow laws?
Maryland's white population is not Southern baptist like the states to it's south. The Catholic Church is big here in Maryland.

Maryland is not a "sweet tea" state. The cuisine here also is seafood based and not soul food based like in the South.

The K-12 public education system in Maryland (outside the two majority black jurisdictions) far surpasses those of many traditional Southern states have.

Maryland is overwhelmingly democratic and more liberal than the states to its South, it also has taken the less business friendly ideal with high taxes more akin to its northern neighbors than the states South of it.

Maryland is more transit friendly and oriented, and more densely populated than the states to the South of it, and also more akin to it's Northern neighbors in those aspects.

Companies that segregate their business by region almost exclusively exclude Maryland from their Southern region.

Is Maryland a border state and most definitely mid-Atlantic yes. But in 2018 I can't see how having to choose one of two options down the middle that anyone would logically place it in the South. I could care less if one places it with South or North, just clarifying here the true stance of what I know and hear from most Marylanders. I think Maryland is simply more unique than it is Southern or Northern.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Maryland's white population is not Southern baptist like the states to it's south. The Catholic Church is big here in Maryland.

Maryland is not a "sweet tea" state. The cuisine here also is seafood based and not soul food based like in the South.

The K-12 public education system in Maryland (outside the two majority black jurisdictions) far surpasses those of many traditional Southern states have.

Maryland is overwhelmingly democratic and more liberal than the states to its South, it also has taken the less business friendly ideal with high taxes more akin to its northern neighbors than the states South of it.

Maryland is more transit friendly and oriented, and more densely populated than the states to the South of it, and also more akin to it's Northern neighbors in those aspects.

Companies that segregate their business by region almost exclusively exclude Maryland from their Southern region.

Is Maryland a border state and most definitely mid-Atlantic yes. But in 2018 I can't see how having to choose one of two options down the middle that anyone would logically place it in the South. I could care less if one places it with South or North, just clarifying here the true stance of what I know and hear from most Marylanders. I think Maryland is simply more unique than it is Southern or Northern.
We have our own style of fried chicken: Maryland Style Chicken. Baltimore is known for the chicken box, and coincidentally, Half & Half tea/lemonade.

We have the best school system in the south I guess.

Transit is weak particularly in Baltimore.

Bro, we're southern.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:00 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,750,500 times
Yet another thread becomes an argument about Maryland. Film at eleven.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:12 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,847,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep. I can understand how first-time or infrequent visitors from the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc. would automatically classify DC/Baltimore as Northern, just by the density and all the rowhouses alone. But when you've spent a fair amount of time in the region and are reasonably observant, you start picking up on things that make it evident that there's more "South" to the region than may initially meet the eye. It really and truly is a South-meets-North region in so many respects. Just look at the White House: it's just a huge Southern plantation mansion LOL.
Exactly!

Old 04-05-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
We have our own style of fried chicken: Maryland Style Chicken. Baltimore is known for the chicken box, and coincidentally, Half & Half tea/lemonade.

We have the best school system in the south I guess.

Transit is weak particularly in Baltimore.

Bro, we're southern.
Lol, nice try.

Agree to disagree.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:07 AM

29,961 posts, read 27,470,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Your post reminded me of this article, specifically the second page: Is Baltimore A Southern City | Are we Northern? Southern? Yes. - tribunedigital-baltimoresun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or