U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 05:16 AM

3,324 posts, read 1,665,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm from PG county, and we are not southerners. No one in the history of my 30 plus years of living from PG County has referred to themselves as a southerner. This has nothing to do with bothering anyone. We specifically refer to southerners being those from either the lower parts of VA or NC and below. That is what Marylanders consider "down south" beginning. I'm not sure where this C-D consensus of PG being the South comes from. If there is a place in the South that replicates PG County, then that place is simply emulating the blue print of this successful Black county. PG County is just very Black, stop confusing it with the South.

Maryland has 6 million people and 900,000 plus live in PG County, the only southerners I know here are the ones who moved up from Texas etc for work.

Having Italians and Puerto Ricans doesn’t make you “Northeastern” it makes you more like New York. Where are the Puerto Rican’s in Portland, ME? There are more Puerto Ricans in MD then there are in Maine, what’s your point? Is Maryland more Northeastern than Maine? Better yet is NY more northeastern than Maine?
I consider Maryland as an overall state Southern. The census has always considered it Southern too. Many Marylanders consider themselves southern. Even go to Fredrick, Hagerstown, Urbana (places not far from the DC/Baltimore stretch) and you'll find many Marylanders who consider themselves southern, whether you do or not. And they are correct. The state is and has always been officially classified as Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 05:56 AM

3,324 posts, read 1,665,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Maryland's white population is not Southern baptist like the states to it's south. The Catholic Church is big here in Maryland.

Maryland is not a "sweet tea" state. The cuisine here also is seafood based and not soul food based like in the South.

The K-12 public education system in Maryland (outside the two majority black jurisdictions) far surpasses those of many traditional Southern states have.

Maryland is overwhelmingly democratic and more liberal than the states to its South, it also has taken the less business friendly ideal with high taxes more akin to its northern neighbors than the states South of it.

Maryland is more transit friendly and oriented, and more densely populated than the states to the South of it, and also more akin to it's Northern neighbors in those aspects.

Companies that segregate their business by region almost exclusively exclude Maryland from their Southern region.

Is Maryland a border state and most definitely mid-Atlantic yes. But in 2018 I can't see how having to choose one of two options down the middle that anyone would logically place it in the South. I could care less if one places it with South or North, just clarifying here the true stance of what I know and hear from most Marylanders. I think Maryland is simply more unique than it is Southern or Northern.
I can agree with this. I grew up in Howard County, and even in a Western HoCo, many people DO consider themselves Southern, and they are correct, they technically are. The thing most people don't understand is why on this site (not in real life), Marylanders get so offended by being associated with the South. Much of the south no longer fits its former stereotypes. There have been threads where Delaware (who has a stronger claim to being part of the NE than Maryland/DC) is called southern, and their posters don't make any fuss over it. When it happens to MD/DC, the posters on this site go out of their way to try to prove their "non-southerness." It comes across as being so insecure. Delaware posters don't take any offense....

Again, where in the NE will you find a PG County? Where in MD will you find a majority blue collar white population that historically votes Democratic?? Liberal and wealthy isn't enough to get you into the NE....many states all over the country fit that bill.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:53 AM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 4 days ago)

1,241 posts, read 585,614 times
Personone, most of the Delaware posters are from Wilmington and they are probably thinking 'Southern Philadelphia' in their mind....but yeah. The lower part of the state did have a small MD migration way back but they weren't even a Southerner Colony...it was a Middle Colony like PA, NY, and NJ (it even split from PA, it can't be Southern)

Old 04-05-2018, 07:53 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,979,226 times
As someone from Delaware (having lived in both the northern and southern portions of the state) who now lives in Maryland, I'd say that both states are clearly Mid-Atlantic, along with Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. Mid-Atlantic is a term that covers both North and South. Both Maryland and Delaware have strong Southern influences and demographics in portions of their states, but have consciously aligned themselves with the Northeast for decades now, and were always wishy-washy to begin with. Delaware as a whole is slightly less Southern than Maryland since the majority of the state lives in Philly's orbit, but also has far less people, so its influence is much lower. Maryland has more observable Southern influences, but since its largest population centers (suburban DC, metro Baltimore) are so politically influential, transient, affluent and infrastructurally dense/advanced when compared to the true South, it's a wash. I'd say they're the only two states in the country that are truly neither Northern nor Southern, so it's apt that they're a part of the Northeast Corridor while officially considered Southern by the Census Bureau.

If anything, I think the inclusion of West Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic is a huge stretch, given that the state is largely mountainous, rural, does not have an Atlantic coastline, only has a small portion within the Chesapeake watershed, and, the biggest factor imo (since Western/Central PA also has many of these characteristics), has most of its population outside of the Eastern Panhandle. Only around 15% of West Virginians live in the Eastern Panhandle, and far less than that are actually super commuters into Washington D.C., Baltimore, York, PA, etc. North Carolina, which I don't consider truly Mid-Atlantic either (though I can see the argument), is more Mid-Atlantic to me than West Virginia, given the popularity of the Outer Banks, the actual Atlantic coastline and geographic placement, the culture, and population interplay with the Hampton Roads area. I think this thread has focused too much on Northern vs. Southern, and ignored the Mid-Atlantic question. The inclusion of West Virginia and North Carolina as Mid Atlantic should be the real argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or