U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 PM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Ok Southbound, I will say simply this one thing and then I will leave your thread as you ask.

I have lived in the New York Tri-State my entire life. And I never, never ever, heard any New Yorker say that Philadelphia, which is less than 90 miles away, is "Gateway to the South". Is it possible that the odd troublemaker said something? Yes. But dozens and dozens? Commonplace? Questionable.
Or maybe because they say it in Philly, to locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
What the HELL man? Where do you think NYC/NJ is? New England? This is pretty much common knowledge.
They even refer to this region as mid-Atlantic on the weather channel...
The thread title is what's your concept. You gave yours & I gave mine.

I was taught that NYC was neither New England nor MidAtlantic. My real life experiences have born that out but your experience may differ.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

I was taught that NYC was neither New England nor MidAtlantic. My real life experiences have born that out but your experience may differ.

I have never heard that NYC is not in the Mid Atlantic nor ever that Philly is the gateway to the South (maybe Baltimore but not really)

I have lived in NYC, Philly and DC and never once have I ever been taught or told anything like you say.

Also on S Jersey are you talking Salem or Gloucester like out past Malaga or something. The areas in tighter to Philly are and have always been basically Philly burbs. You cant build in the pine lands and yes there is farmland further away but honestly you discuss this as if you hear this commonplace. I can tell from my personal experience I never have, nor been taught this. Until this thread I have never heard of NC being a Mid Atlantic state either. Apparently you have had significantly different experiences then basically everyone else from the NYC and Philly areas that have replied. Not sure what to tell you, you started this thread with your own premis and now many of us disagree and you have failed to accept that we do. Seems like an argument that is best left to agree to disagree...

Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 AM

3,750 posts, read 3,855,421 times
Quote:
You were taught that NYC is in neither?? Where did they say NYC is then?
Frankly, me along with other posters find your premises simply untrue in real life.

1. People consider NC as mid-Atlantic.
2. NYC is not mid-Atlantic.
3. Philadelphia is a "gateway to the South"

^I have never heard anyone in real life say anything like that. I've personally been to Philly 5476568 times with my friends from NYC and Boston, and none of them said that Philly is a gateway to the South. Heck, you can even Google it, and the only search results on google for that phrase come from your post.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I have never heard that NYC is not in the Mid Atlantic nor ever that Philly is the gateway to the South (maybe Baltimore but not really)

I have lived in NYC, Philly and DC and never once have I ever been taught or told anything like you say.

Also on S Jersey are you talking Salem or Gloucester like out past Malaga or something. The areas in tighter to Philly are and have always been basically Philly burbs. You cant build in the pine lands and yes there is farmland further away but honestly you discuss this as if you hear this commonplace. I can tell from my personal experience I never have, nor been taught this. Until this thread I have never heard of NC being a Mid Atlantic state either. Apparently you have had significantly different experiences then basically everyone else from the NYC and Philly areas that have replied. Not sure what to tell you, you started this thread with your own premis and now many of us disagree and you have failed to accept that we do. Seems like an argument that is best left to agree to disagree...
I started the thread to see what other people's opinions are. I am allowed mine & you are allowed yours.

I'm a baby boomer & was taught the regions in geography class in elementary school.

I've heard the comments that I commented on over about a 35 year period of time, with regularity. The first time that I got the farmer/farm town comment I was in my early 20s & got an interview in North Jersey. When it occurred to him where I lived the man interviewing me told me that he didn't want a farmer working for him & I said that I didn't & had never lived on a farm, but there was nothing wrong with that because both of my grandmothers were raised on farms. He continued & threw in the big farm town comment & finally I told him that I didn't understand why he had called me for an interview & he said that he didn't realize where I lived. The farmer thing has happened occasionally over the years, when I was looking for work & from people who were in the Philly metro on business. As I said, everyone who I know in real life in South Jersey has had the same experience. I first heard the gateway to the south comment (obviously meant as an insult, therefore taken that way) when I was a freshman in college & there were several NYers who hadn't gotten into the schools of their choice in NYC. Again, this has repeated.

I had no agenda when I started the thread. I drew the line with a stranger calling me a liar when I was telling the truth. Everyone's experiences may differ, so all I am interested is that people give their opinions of the topic & respect others' right to do the same.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 AM

350 posts, read 608,378 times
For me Mid-Atlantic states are New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware

I'd add maybe Northern Virginia, Washington D.C, Northern WV and Maryland but not sure

Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 AM

3,596 posts, read 7,709,405 times
I define "Midatlantic" as the coastal states north of Georgia but south of New Jersey. I guess South Jersey might actually fit, too.

It's a personal definition from experience traveling; I'm not indicating anyone should defensively react.

I generally think of it as the place I'll probably retire to. Lovely, stunning scenery; a very long fall and a very long summer; oceans and rain; endless green foliage. Mountains In my experience it is a very slow pace of life, and a very relaxed area. Very rural and urban only as far as suburbs can be urban. Which sounds like heaven after these past ten years.

For those near DC, I think it is a very unfortunate case of division. The endless suburbs of NOVA are outrageously expensive. The basic necessities are outlandishly expensive, and I say that as someone living in LA. But still, gorgeous scenery I love the bridges leading in and out of DC.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Thanks to the last 2 posters for getting the thread back on track. I asked because I've seen posters react in other threads with interesting concepts like What's the MidAtlantic & It's in the north.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM

375 posts, read 346,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Well, people in Maryland would be correct to refer to them as "up north"...they are north of Maryland. Maryland is really hard to conclusively classify. Historically, it was a southern state. When the Civil War broke out, however, it stayed in the Union. After the Civil War, Maryland essentially began to align itself more with the Northeast.They may not be completely northern or southern, but they are more Northern than Southern by today's standards. Politically, culturally, and in terms of dialect, Maryland and Delaware are more similar to Pennsylvania than to Virginia. From a modern standpoint at least, calling them Southern or even halfway of a decision IMO is ridiculous. My best friend's mother was born and raised in Delaware...she identifies with Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland, not Virginia. I have had the fortune to visit Maryland many times...most of it is like night and day compared to Virginia outside of the D.C. suburbs.
Many outside of Maryland are unaware that Maryland did not stay in the Union by choice, but rather by force. One of the main reasons that President Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus was to ensure Maryland not secede and place the nation's capital within Confederate borders.

In Baltimore, the mayor and city council were thrown in prison (ironically at Fort McHenry, the War of 1812 battle site that inspired the writing of our national anthem). Federal Hill, a wealthier gentrified neighborhood just south of Baltimore's inner harbor earned its name from the federal troops that threatened to level the city if it decided to allign with the south (Some who have been to Federal Hill Park may have wondered why there are cannons in the park that face downtown Baltimore, well, now you know).

Being a border state, there were those in Maryland who wanted to be with the south and those who wanted to be with the north. The bottomline is that President Lincoln didn't take any chances which is why Maryland was the only state south of the Mason Dixon Line not to secede.

Today I would say that most of Maryland and its residents identify more with the north. The heavily populated Baltimore Metropolitan Area and DC suburbs dominate the state in terms of economic activity and politics. Outside of the I-95 corridor, the state is more rural and conservative.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,387,473 times
Quote:
Nope. It's been said to me, to my face, dozens of times & I've heard it said to others within my earshot countless times.

Everyone who I know in real life in South Jersey has also been called a farmer by people from North Jersey & they frequently refer to Philly as the big farm town.
You have an unhealthy obsession with the Philadelphia area. Philly is nowhere near being considered southern. It has and always will be a northeastern city along with NY, Bmore and DC. I'm from NYC and although New Yorkers never pay attention to anyplace outside of NY, they have never even referred to the Philly area as the south.
I don't know who taught you geography, but they taught you wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or