U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 03:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,004,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I have been in Oxford once but wonder if the vibe changes dramatically from Kennet Sq which to me feels like a fairly cosmopolitan exurb of Philly, even one of the nations top suburban restaraunts in Talulas. Pretty countryside there though and I always forget how close that area is to the Chesepeake, seems like you can be eating crabcakes in Perryville MD in like 30 minutes from there.
Kennett is the last cosmopolitan town going down Rte. 1. After that, the towns are little farm towns and the people talk really slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:16 AM

126 posts, read 275,307 times
The entire state of New Jersey is the only state that can say it's fully mid-atlantic without a fuss. I'm using this as a tool.
People will argue about MD for centuries, but I'd say the major metro areas in MD are clearly "mid-atlantic".. DC and Bmore suburbs have more in common with the burbs in NJ more than any suburbs down south, so MD passes as a mid-atantic in my book. Delaware shares a significant bay with New Jersey that trails into Philadelphia.. So why not consider Delaware as Mid-Atlantic too? it doesn't really pose as a significant state for the south as far as I'm concerned. wanna argue otherwise? I doubt anyone will care.
PA really has nothing to do with the Atlantic Ocean at all, PA is PA. Philly is unofficially NJ's and deep down, Philadelphians know it. Unless you want to argue that Philly doesn't basically live in Atlantic City, Cape May, and Wildwood during the summer. PA also mooches off Trenton which isn't often mentioned, PA-Trenton commuters have surprisingly BIG salaries. Eastern PA is mid-Atlantic.
The entire NYC metro area is mid-atlatic, anything past that is either New England or Upstate NY.
Most of the land mass in NYS can pass for New England to be honest.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 AM

62 posts, read 121,600 times
NOAA classifies the mid-atlantic region from MD-NY

Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,828,093 times
I define it as Fredericksburg to New York, pretty much.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:54 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,116,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
So for you PA and NJ are what ? Northeast states ?
yes, PA and NJ are northeast, as well as NY.

Maryland to North Carolina is the mid-atlantic.

South Carolina and Georgia, westward to Texas, is the deep south.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:37 PM

18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
yes, PA and NJ are northeast, as well as NY.

Maryland to North Carolina is the mid-atlantic.

South Carolina and Georgia, westward to Texas, is the deep south.
No, it's not. Only East Texas can pass as Deep South and that's a small part of Texas and even that is with hesitation.

As far as Mid-Atlantic, I can agree with the Fredericksburg to New York definition.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:16 PM

62 posts, read 121,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No, it's not. Only East Texas can pass as Deep South and that's a small part of Texas and even that is with hesitation.

As far as Mid-Atlantic, I can agree with the Fredericksburg to New York definition.

so east texas can pass as deep south but brownsville texas isnt in the deep south? When its south of nearly 99% of everyone else? Unless you're arguing culture.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,136,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBadBrah View Post
so east texas can pass as deep south but brownsville texas isnt in the deep south? When its south of nearly 99% of everyone else? Unless you're arguing culture.
I am not presuming to speak for Spade, but my guess it that is exactly what is being argued. I don't agree with some of his hesitations, but I do see the general point he is making. So lemme just get in my two-cents worth (all it is worth! LOL).

Yes, geographically speaking, you are correct that deep south Texas (and they even refer to it that way, down there!) is about as "deep south" as one can get. I mean, Texas is smack-dab in the geographical south-central part of the country, so it would only stand to reason that the furtherst part of it would be the deepest south part of it!

Culturally? Well, that is a bit of a different critter! East Texas is the western most extension of the "Deep South" in that particular realm. Depending on just how one defines "East Texas" then parts of it are more classic "Old South Deep South" than upper mountain areas of totally Deep South states like Alabama and Georgia....and rival that of any other areas of those states considered Deep South in terms of basic history and culture. So I don't share my fellow Texan's hesitation in that regard.

Hell, there are even older areas of large cities like Dallas and Houston, even San Antonio and Ft. Worth, where -- if parachuted in blind from another part of the country-- one would not know they were not in Mississippi or Alabama if the reference point was the general outlay and culture and architecture and "feel".

C'mon Spade, you can't disagree with that!

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-18-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM

6,413 posts, read 3,600,113 times
As a Native New Yorker, I never considerd NY part of the Mi-dAtlantic. NYC is, but all of NYS isn't on the Atlantic Ocean. In fact, the northern part borders Canada. It's the Northeast. You cannot make it Mid-Atlantic just because one small part of it is.

Now, NEW JERSEY? Yes, that is Mid-Atlantic and probably the last of the Mid-Atlantic states.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:29 PM

5,519 posts, read 17,702,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
As a Native New Yorker, I never considerd NY part of the Mi-dAtlantic. NYC is, but all of NYS isn't on the Atlantic Ocean. In fact, the northern part borders Canada. It's the Northeast. You cannot make it Mid-Atlantic just because one small part of it is.

Now, NEW JERSEY? Yes, that is Mid-Atlantic and probably the last of the Mid-Atlantic states.
Agreed. NYC is Mid-Atlantic but the rest of NY is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or