Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Amtrak divided the East Coast into the Northeast corridor & the Southeast Corridor.

There is no such area as "The Northeast", except for Amtrak's purposes.

The MidAtlantic is the transition zone between New England & NYC and the South. That means that it gets more Southern as the region goes southward.

What is your concept of the MidAtlantic region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Mid Atlantic to me is between NY state and NOVA and all in between, always has been NJ feel quintessential Mid Atlantic and the cities include NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC

The Mid Atlantic along with New England make up the North East

Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
The sub region called the "Mid Atlantic" consists of two separate regions imo. The North Mid-Atlantic (NY, PA, NJ) which along with New England, creates the Northeastern United States, and the South Mid-Atlantic (DE, MD, VA) which is technically in the Southeastern United States, but really acts as a transition zone between the Northeast and Southeast. The South Mid Atlantic has a stronger relationship with the Northeast than the Southeast (with VA, besides NOVA, being the exception because VA is a 100% southern).

Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
The sub region called the "Mid Atlantic" consists of two separate regions imo. The North Mid-Atlantic (NY, PA, NJ) which along with New England, creates the Northeastern United States, and the South Mid-Atlantic (DE, MD, VA) which is technically in the Southeastern United States, but really acts as a transition zone between the Northeast and Southeast. The South Mid Atlantic has a stronger relationship with the Northeast than the Southeast (with VA, besides NOVA, being the exception because VA is a 100% southern).
Maryland and Delaware are not Southeastern states.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
The MidAtlantic is not a sub region. You have created two sub regions, though.

I was taught that the MidAtlantic consisted of PA, NJ, DE, MD, & VA and that some considered NY minus NYC & some considered NC to also be in the region

Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Mid Atlantic to me is between NY state and NOVA and all in between, always has been NJ feel quintessential Mid Atlantic and the cities include NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC

Agree with this strongly, although I don't consider the Mid-Atlantic a transition zone between New England the South...the Mid-Atlantic is very distinct from both of these, although more like New England I feel. The transition zone takes place roughly between the latitudes of Washington, D.C. and Richmond. I would say by about Fredericksburg you start to enter the culture Virginia traditionally represents...the south.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:37 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Mid-Atlantic is easy, its the area between NYC and DC. People who are from this area know this, and they identify with it. Only on City-Data do you have people arguing for 20 pages whether or not totally unrelated states are in this region.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Yeah, this is pretty much the way I think of it also. Only possible clarification is that I might exclude the very southernmost potion of the mid-atlantic (i.e. DC and NoVa) from the "northeast" category, but that could go either way.

Oh, and to me Maryland is the "quintissential" Mid Atlantic state.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:09 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What is your concept of the MidAtlantic region?
it's a term that has no meaning, which is popular on certain message boards where people discuss geography.

mid-atlantic is generally the places that southerners think of as northern, and northerners think of as southern. NC, VA, MD, DC, DE, PA, and NJ are all possible candidates.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
it's a term that has no meaning, which is popular on certain message boards where people discuss geography.

mid-atlantic is generally the places that southerners think of as northern, and northerners think of as southern. NC, VA, MD, DC, DE.
I think that you have a good point. Since Newcastle County, DE is in the Philadelphia metro, if you toss in Philly & South Jersey, that's my concept too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.