Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 12:01 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,558,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Help from you? LMAO yeah right. I think you simply resort to personal attacks when things don't go your way. And even if I needed help, you're the last person I'd ask. And religion is part of people's customary beliefs. I've already separated Virginia linguistically from Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and NJ. I don't see what else you want. It's clear you just don't accept facts and stick to your own beliefs. Fine by me, just don't go blasting insults to people who disagree with you. Politics is another way in which Virginia is different from the solidly blue states of Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. How many things do I have to name off to satisfy you? Apparantly not enough.
Culture definition

Ignorance

You are welcome.

Anyway, go really find out what culture is and come back and tell us what MD's, DC's, PA, DE, and NJ's cultures are and how do they relate to one another. Also, what is VA's culture (just saying "Southern" or "Not like the others" isn't good enough and you're better off admitting that you don't know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 12:03 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Culture definition

Ignorance

You are welcome.

Anyway, go really find out what culture is and come back and tell us what MD's, DC's, PA, DE, and NJ's cultures are and how do they relate to one another. Also, what is VA's culture (just saying "Southern" or "Not like the others" isn't good enough and you're better off admitting that you don't know).
There's no satisfying you. Go away and sulk in your defeat.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:21 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,558,692 times
Quote:
There's no satisfying you. Go away and sulk in your defeat.
There is. Stick to what you know (whatever that is) and stop pontificating bs. Enjoy the weather in St. Louis.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:12 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Mid-Atlantic is usually used to describe formerly Southern states that have seen a lot of northern transplants in recent years and therefore have had their Southernness diluted. Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware are the core of the region. Some consider NC to be also especially after they voted for Obama in 2008, but with recent developments there like HB2 it has gone into question. NJ, PA, and NY are unquestionably Northeastern in my opinion.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,495 times
Quote:
Help from you? LMAO yeah right. I think you simply resort to personal attacks when things don't go your way. And even if I needed help, you're the last person I'd ask. And religion is part of people's customary beliefs. I've already separated Virginia linguistically from Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and NJ. I don't see what else you want. It's clear you just don't accept facts and stick to your own beliefs. Fine by me, just don't go blasting insults to people who disagree with you. Politics is another way in which Virginia is different from the solidly blue states of Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. How many things do I have to name off to satisfy you? Apparantly not enough.
Pennsylvania isn't solidly blue, though. Much like Virginia, it is considered a swing state, and can go either way in most elections, depending on who's running and what's the pressing issue (jobs, national security, etc.) that cycle.

Also, Virginia shares much of the same linguistics as both Maryland's Eastern Shore and Delaware's Sussex County, and both areas are quite "Southern" in culture. And while New Jersey and Pennsylvania are not as black as Virginia, Maryland and Delaware are outliers in the "Northeast" in that both states do have substantial black populations similar to much of the South. I don't see how you're quick to dismiss Virginia as being "Mid-Atlantic" (not Northeastern, but Mid-Atlantic) when two of the Mid-Atlantic's constituent members, Delaware and Maryland, have quite fluid regional identities themselves.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Mid-Atlantic is usually used to describe formerly Southern states that have seen a lot of northern transplants in recent years and therefore have had their Southernness diluted. Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware are the core of the region. Some consider NC to be also especially after they voted for Obama in 2008, but with recent developments there like HB2 it has gone into question. NJ, PA, and NY are unquestionably Northeastern in my opinion.
Virginia is not a former Southern state. It still is Southern. Maryland and Delaware haven't had their Southerness diluted...it's been utterly eradicated except for Southern Maryland and Southern Delaware. These states are also Northeastern, or Mid-Atlantic from a modern standpoint. Mid-Atlantic usually includes Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey in the definition and also Maryland and Delaware. Virginia while it is often included is not like the rest of the Mid-Atlantic in the fact that it is still culturally and linguistically Southern as well as demographically.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Pennsylvania isn't solidly blue, though. Much like Virginia, it is considered a swing state, and can go either way in most elections, depending on who's running and what's the pressing issue (jobs, national security, etc.) that cycle.

Also, Virginia shares much of the same linguistics as both Maryland's Eastern Shore and Delaware's Sussex County, and both areas are quite "Southern" in culture. And while New Jersey and Pennsylvania are not as black as Virginia, Maryland and Delaware are outliers in the "Northeast" in that both states do have substantial black populations similar to much of the South. I don't see how you're quick to dismiss Virginia as being "Mid-Atlantic" (not Northeastern, but Mid-Atlantic) when two of the Mid-Atlantic's constituent members, Delaware and Maryland, have quite fluid regional identities themselves.
I agree Maryland and Delaware have Southern demographics such as large black populations being one of those and I also agree that Southern Maryland and Southern Delaware are culturally Southern. But culturally and linguistically, the vast majority of Maryland and Delaware are more like Pennsylvania than Virginia.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
There is. Stick to what you know (whatever that is) and stop pontificating bs. Enjoy the weather in St. Louis.
I guess facts are BS to you. Enjoy being wrong.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:48 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This definition seems to be the increasingly popular one. Now even North Carolina has been called "Mid-Atlantic" and in the VA thread asking in VA is northern or southern, and it has nearly 80 pages!

Some poster replied saying something along the lines of, "Virginia is not northern or southern. It's Mid-Atlantic."

Another person said VA is a border state, and that it has northern and southern influences. That's what they said about Maryland in the old days (2010, 2015, etc.)!

Old 05-16-2016, 03:52 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,645 times
Quote:

Pennsylvania is a mostly rural state. Why then, is it so blue?

Maryland is a mostly metropolitan state population-wise, and so is New Jersey.

Virginia has been getting bluer. Is it because of all of those Marylanders moving there?

Last edited by ialmostforgot; 05-16-2016 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.