Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states make up the north?
Maine 185 92.04%
New Hampshire 184 91.54%
Vermont 185 92.04%
Massachusetts 181 90.05%
Rhode Island 181 90.05%
Connecticut 181 90.05%
New York 184 91.54%
Pennsylvania 172 85.57%
New Jersey 173 86.07%
Maryland 101 50.25%
Delaware 107 53.23%
West Virginia (even if just in part, specify in comment) 42 20.90%
Ohio 130 64.68%
Indiana 116 57.71%
Michigan 153 76.12%
Illinois 128 63.68%
Wisconsin 151 75.12%
Minnesota 153 76.12%
Iowa 116 57.71%
Missouri 51 25.37%
North Dakota 131 65.17%
South Dakota 123 61.19%
Nebraska 83 41.29%
Kansas 48 23.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times

Advertisements

Some of you need to look at a map...............................PA an NJ more northern than the Dakota's???? Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Traditionally, and if we're not just comparing the largest metros, it can vary a good deal more than "slightly."

The Southern culture of Lafayette, Louisiana; Victoria, Texas; and Richmond, Virginia are likely a good deal different.

The Midwest is a different region, hence I didn't go too far west in my choices, and the differences might be greater in a way. Still I'd think Ohio and Pennsylvania are plausibly more connected than South Carolina and Texas. As someone born in the South I might have once said you can find elements of a generic Northern culture throughout much of the Midwest. Iowa, Nebraska, and North Dakota look to have some of the strongest counties for Congregationalists or United-Church-of-Christ.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...regational.gif
http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...ligion/ucc.gif

I'm spacing a bit, but there are some commonalities even if they may may be less than those between say Waco and Roanoke. (As you picked Texas and Virginia)
What i'm pointing out is that in the South, you don't find enough differences between Texas and Virginia to say they can't be classified as part of the same region. Whereas with Michigan and Massachusetts, the difference is such that they just don't feel alike. the Northeast and Midwest dialects are VERY different...you can't even come close to saying there are common pronunciations there. In the South, there generally are. "Y'all", pronuncing I as "ah", etc. Now I know you have the Deep South accent, the Tidewater accent, mountain dialect, etc...but they just aren't night and day different to the same degree. Politically, culturally, and in terms of speech patterns, the Midwest has a very distinct identity from the Northeast. Truth-be-told, all of the cities in New York along the Great Lakes, as well as Erie, Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh, actually may have more in common with the Midwest Great Lakes cities than with the Bos-Wash corridor.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:40 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
What i'm pointing out is that in the South, you don't find enough differences between Texas and Virginia to say they can't be classified as part of the same region. Whereas with Michigan and Massachusetts, the difference is such that they just don't feel alike. the Northeast and Midwest dialects are VERY different...you can't even come close to saying there are common pronunciations there. In the South, there generally are. "Y'all", pronuncing I as "ah", etc. Now I know you have the Deep South accent, the Tidewater accent, mountain dialect, etc...but they just aren't night and day different to the same degree. Politically, culturally, and in terms of speech patterns, the Midwest has a very distinct identity from the Northeast. Truth-be-told, all of the cities in New York along the Great Lakes, as well as Erie, Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh, actually may have more in common with the Midwest Great Lakes cities than with the Bos-Wash corridor.
Yes you have to bear in mind that New England is a unique region but not the entire northeast.

New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey all differ from New England drastically. And the former two have large regions that are in common with the Midwest and Appalachia. South Jersey Is much like eastern Maryland and Delaware, which are also not anything like New England.

So when people compare Midwest and Northeast, they MUST remember that New England is NOT the entire northeast, and neither is NYC, Philly and north Jersey.

In fact, PA and NY are vastly rural and slow in pace. Not the fast paced and urban atmosphere most of the coastal northeast is.

Even when it comes to New England itself, people must remember that Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are not fast or highly urban at all. They too are slow, rural, and packed with wilderness.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:41 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Who votes against Maine to be the North, and if so, is any state northern?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
North and South Dakota are western states at heart.
The extreme western parts are more western than midwestern, but they are still northern. Sioux Falls is not western.

The OP did not ask which states make up the northeast, and northeast isn't equal to north.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
the extreme western parts are more western than midwestern, but they are still northern. Sioux falls is not western.

the op did not ask which states make up the northeast, and northeast isn't equal to north.
Thank you!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
No Way In Hell Maryland a Northern State....

The Map is 100% BS.......
Um, how can a map that demonstrates my opinion be "BS"?

Unless you think I am lying about my opinion?

I've been to Maryland many times, and to ME (remember? my opinion?) everything from DC northward seems much more "northern".

Draw your own map if you disagree, but it's not "BS".

Old 11-10-2011, 08:19 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Have you actually been to the northeast? If you have, then obviously you didn't notice that the majority of the region is rural, Appalachian and wilderness.

Yes Ive been there, in fact ive been to every state in the northeast. I am not saying the entire northeast is paved over city, although it is much more urban than the midwest is. Even in the rural parts of the northeast, upstate NY, western pa, northern new england the culture is still very different from the midwestern section of the north. Even the arcitecture is different, and the geography is very different. The two regions are just very very different.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Um, how can a map that demonstrates my opinion be "BS"?

Unless you think I am lying about my opinion?

I've been to Maryland many times, and to ME (remember? my opinion?) everything from DC northward seems much more "northern".

Draw your own map if you disagree, but it's not "BS".
$mk is a troll. Trust me, I fought him for a long time and he's just nonsensical. Best to ignore him.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post

Maine far south compare to Minnesota and Montana °_°

Sorry but how is it possible ?

when you look at any maps of U.S continental, you see clearly that Maine is the northernmost state. Even if it's further south, it doesn't look much lower than that.
Doesn't matter what it "looks like". Most of Maine is actually farther south than most of Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakotoa and Minnesota. The world is not flat. You have to look at the latitude.

But as the OP stated, this poll is not about what state is the farthest north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.