U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states are part of cultural Appalachia?
Alabama 19 36.54%
Georgia 30 57.69%
South Carolina 20 38.46%
North Carolina 44 84.62%
Tennessee 46 88.46%
Kentucky 48 92.31%
West Virginia 49 94.23%
Virginia 41 78.85%
Maryland 30 57.69%
Ohio 19 36.54%
Pennsylvania 43 82.69%
Upstate New York (Southern/Central/Western) 28 53.85%
Upstate New York (Eastern/Northern) 13 25.00%
New Jersey 3 5.77%
Connecticut 2 3.85%
Massachusetts 4 7.69%
Vermont 10 19.23%
New Hampshire 10 19.23%
Maine 11 21.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times

Advertisements

Why does NY get segmented in this poll? Other states have parts of them that are clearly Appalachian while other parts are not. However, these states haven't been segmented in the poll. NC is the perfect example. It clearly has the highest ranges in the Appalachian Mountains but that's only in the western part of the state. Appalachia has nothing to do with the coastal culture at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Why does NY get segmented in this poll? Other states have parts of them that are clearly Appalachian while other parts are not. However, these states haven't been segmented in the poll. NC is the perfect example. It clearly has the highest ranges in the Appalachian Mountains but that's only in the western part of the state. Appalachia has nothing to do with the coastal culture at all.

Mostly agree but personally I do think of PA as an Appalachian state, though the majority of the population does not live in the appalachian area of the state. But then again to me many times the area around Philly feels more like NJ than the a majority of PA

Old 11-10-2011, 10:05 AM

350 posts, read 607,434 times
I don't know why West Virginia hasn't the most votes. The state is completely in Appalachians.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NE Mississippi, northern and NE Alabama, N Georgia, Middle and East Tennessee, Upstate South Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, Western North Carolina, Western Virginia, West Virginia, Southeast Ohio, Central and Western Pennsylvania, Southern Tier New York extending east to Catskills, Western Maryland, Western Massachusetts, Northwest Connecticut, Vermont, Western and northern New Hampshire, Western Maine.
I generally tend to think of the Catskills as part of the Appalachian chain.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:01 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I generally tend to think of the Catskills as part of the Appalachian chain.
Yes, that is what I meant. The Catskills are part of the Appalachian chain. The Adirondacks are not because they are geologically a southern extension of the Canadian Shield.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:30 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
I segmented NY since the culture of the state is drastically split down between those areas. Further east and north is very New England like whereas further west and south is very Pennsylvanian.

The reason this wasn't done for other states is because the areas of cultural difference are not geographically Appalachian (say, southern Georgia), so they aren't in the running at all. If that makes sense. Whereas New York state is almost entirely in the hills and mountains yet the two halves have very distinct identities I thought were important to the poll.

I did not intend to cause offense or confusion. My apologies.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:31 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I don't know why West Virginia hasn't the most votes. The state is completely in Appalachians.
I wondered that same thing. Since WV is the heart of the Appalachian mountains from top to bottom.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 PM

7,130 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Quote:
I agree with you but I believe CookieSkoon used to live in Upstate New York and wanted to see what others thought.

Anyway the Southern/Western choice for New York is partially more or less correct because the definition of Appalachia seems to have moved North over the years into Pennsylvania aka Pennsyltucky and southern New York aka the Southern Tier. However Western New York, if it means Buffalo/Niagara Frontier and the Finger Lakes, is not part of Appalachia.

The Northern/Eastern choice is also mostly incorrect. Eastern New York (The Hudson Valley & the Taconic Mountains) is probably more like New England lite than anything else. And Northern New York is the Adirondacks, Lake Champlain and the Thousand Islands which geographically is not part of the Appalachians.

Last edited by LINative; 11-10-2011 at 07:53 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 PM

7,130 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I think you are exactly right.

There was another thread somewhere about Appalachia (or maybe it was about the Appalachians?) where someone posted a great map which showed that West Virginia, along with nearby parts of southwestern Virginia and eastern Kentucky as the center of Appalachia.

It gradually declines as you move away from the center but it is still strong in eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina. I got the impression that these 5 states; West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina were the traditional "heart of Appalachia.

Since then the definition seems to be spreading North and South, probably because Federal $$$ dollars is available for Appalachian redevelopment. It has even spread far west into the State of Mississippi, which I believe is not really part of the Appalachian Mountains. Thats what a good Congressman or Senator can do for you!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,133,631 times
Southern Appalachian (the part that gets most Media attention):
Virginia (western, think "The Waltons")
West Virginia (all of the state)
North Carolina (western part of the state)
Tennessee (pretty much THE stereotypical Appalachian state)
Georgia (Northern 1/3rd, "Deliverance" is there)
Alabama (Same as Georgia, but no Ned Beatty stereotypes)
Kentucky (the OTHER stereotypical Appalachian state)

Northern Appalachian:
Maryland
Pennsylvania
(Western) Ohio
Western/Northern New York
New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or