U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states are part of cultural Appalachia?
Alabama 19 36.54%
Georgia 30 57.69%
South Carolina 20 38.46%
North Carolina 44 84.62%
Tennessee 46 88.46%
Kentucky 48 92.31%
West Virginia 49 94.23%
Virginia 41 78.85%
Maryland 30 57.69%
Ohio 19 36.54%
Pennsylvania 43 82.69%
Upstate New York (Southern/Central/Western) 28 53.85%
Upstate New York (Eastern/Northern) 13 25.00%
New Jersey 3 5.77%
Connecticut 2 3.85%
Massachusetts 4 7.69%
Vermont 10 19.23%
New Hampshire 10 19.23%
Maine 11 21.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:34 PM

20,871 posts, read 36,029,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I admit I am also surprised by the amount of Scots-Irish in the northeast. I always though it was more purely Irish as you went further north.
Visit the western mountains of Maine (Oxford county) and the Ossipee mountains of New Hampshire as well as the Mount Washington Valley. (Carroll county). The rural towns in these counties are very Appalachian with a definite Scots-Irish flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 PM

20,871 posts, read 36,029,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Those same "enormous" problems exist in every single large city in this country. The mountainous terrain and remoteness makes it nearly impossible to be a thriving economic metropolis. Mountaintop removal is mainly only an issue in West Virginia, at least the large scale projects always occur there.
That is completely wrong. Look at aerial satellite imagery on google maps or google earth in eastern Kentucky and you will see the horrible mountaintop removal sites scattered everywhere. It's just as prevalent if not more so in Kentucky compared to any other state in the Appalachian region.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:42 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,237,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, that is what I meant. The Catskills are part of the Appalachian chain. The Adirondacks are not because they are geologically a southern extension of the Canadian Shield.
Ok

Old 11-13-2011, 03:47 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,754,832 times
Quote:
Visit the western mountains of Maine (Oxford county) and the Ossipee mountains of New Hampshire as well as the Mount Washington Valley. (Carroll county). The rural towns in these counties are very Appalachian with a definite Scots-Irish flavor.
Oh I believe you for sure. I just wasn't aware of the widespread ancestry. I thought, especially in New England, that it was more Irish rather than Scots-Irish.

The more you know.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:02 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,008,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I admit I am also surprised by the amount of Scots-Irish in the northeast. I always though it was more purely Irish as you went further north.
I think Maine is actually pretty Anglo, as in English-descended. I think it's like the only state, besides Utah and apparently Vermont, that has English descent as first.

File:Most common ancestries in the United States.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know that a state being highly Anglo means it can't be Irish, but it seems like the Irish didn't go to Maine too much. Also a place I think could be highly Scots-Irish and highly Irish even if the two groups didn't like each other at all. At least not then.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:10 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,583,296 times
Quote:
That is completely wrong. Look at aerial satellite imagery on google maps or google earth in eastern Kentucky and you will see the horrible mountaintop removal sites scattered everywhere. It's just as prevalent if not more so in Kentucky compared to any other state in the Appalachian region.
Please read what I wrote again. I said the large scale mountaintop removal projects are only done in WV. I am well aware of it happening in KY as well.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:18 PM

10,168 posts, read 6,511,056 times
Only a very small portion of South Carolina is located in the Appalachian mountains.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,754,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think Maine is actually pretty Anglo, as in English-descended. I think it's like the only state, besides Utah and apparently Vermont, that has English descent as first.

File:Most common ancestries in the United States.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know that a state being highly Anglo means it can't be Irish, but it seems like the Irish didn't go to Maine too much. Also a place I think could be highly Scots-Irish and highly Irish even if the two groups didn't like each other at all. At least not then.
That's one thing that annoys me about maps like that in New York's case.

Upstate is mostly German, Scots-Irish and Dutch. But because downstate has so many people it always says the whole state is highly Italian. They really should separate NYC when they do those maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or