U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,316,460 times

Advertisements

ATLANTA More adults in the Midwest and West have suicidal thoughts than people in the rest of the country, but Rhode Island leads in suicide attempts, according to the first government study of its kind.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study, released Thursday, presents a different look at suicide in America one that focuses on suicide in the planning stages.

"This report highlights that we have opportunities to intervene before someone dies by suicide. We can identify risks and take action before a suicide attempt takes place," said CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden, in a statement.

Overall, the Midwest and West had significantly higher rates of suicide contemplation than the South and Northeast. Researchers say they don't have any data to explain why some states or regional were different than others.

Utah had the highest rate of serious thoughts of suicide (1 in 15 adults) while Rhode Island was at the top of the range for planning a suicide (1 in 36) and suicide attempts (1 in 67).................................

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...uicide-states/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:05 PM

551 posts, read 996,618 times
There were some people on C-D once who said they saw research that said people who live in denser areas, like the Northeast, tend to have lower rates of suicide and they said that it was because there is more community involvement and higher liklihood of interaction with people. When I mean Northeast I mean places like Boston, NYC, Philly or things like that. In the midwest or western states their built enviornment can affect how they are, and their car-based sprawling suburbs tend not to be as community oriented and they have less chances to meet people. I don't know how true such studies were, but I did read somewhere that social interaction which is more common in dense cities than low density suburbs helps to offset rates of suicide.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:09 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,316,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
There were some people on C-D once who said they saw research that said people who live in denser areas, like the Northeast, tend to have lower rates of suicide and they said that it was because there is more community involvement and higher liklihood of interaction with people. When I mean Northeast I mean places like Boston, NYC, Philly or things like that. In the midwest or western states their built enviornment can affect how they are, and their car-based sprawling suburbs tend not to be as community oriented and they have less chances to meet people. I don't know how true such studies were, but I did read somewhere that social interaction which is more common in dense cities than low density suburbs helps to offset rates of suicide.

Interesting !

Old 11-10-2011, 02:21 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
The western states have the highest suicide rates. No one really knows why. There's lots of specualtion.

AFSP: Facts and Figures: State Statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or