U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM
 
578 posts, read 755,984 times
Reputation: 122

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, the whole region has an interesting history. There were parts of the Central American coastline like Belize or the Miskito Coast and Corn Islands of Nicaragua or Bay Islands of Honduras that were actually under British control for some time and ended up developing similar to the British-ruled Caribbean islands. There was also historical migration from the West Indies to Costa Rica and Panama--a lot of Jamaicans migrated to the east coast as laborers, especially during the construction of the Panama Canal. The language spoken is mostly a Carribbean patios closer to what you'd hear in Jamaica, although some might speak Spanish also. You can tell by some of the names of the towns along the coast, places like Livingston in Guatemala or Bluefields in Nicaragua. In some places the architecture, food, music(lots of reggae), all feels closer to the West Indies as well. Belize is the only Central American nation where there's a majority of Afro-Caribbeans, although there's a pretty sizable number of areas along the west coast of Nicaragua.

There's also the Garifuna, who have a culture that's a mix of Carib/Arawak Indians and Africans that migrated from the West Indies to Central America. From Belize through the coast of Guatemala and Honduras, there's Garifuna communities. Apparently there's a number of Garifuna in New York as well.

Garifuna Ethnic Group Seeks Voice In New York City

It's interesting because Afro-Carribbeans and Garifuna from Central America might be considered Hispanic in the US because of their country of orgin, although culturally they're closer to Trinidad or Jamaica.
Actually the majority of Caribbean people that immigrated to Panama for the Panama Canal were from Barbados
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 PM
 
578 posts, read 755,984 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, the whole region has an interesting history. There were parts of the Central American coastline like Belize or the Miskito Coast and Corn Islands of Nicaragua or Bay Islands of Honduras that were actually under British control for some time and ended up developing similar to the British-ruled Caribbean islands. There was also historical migration from the West Indies to Costa Rica and Panama--a lot of Jamaicans migrated to the east coast as laborers, especially during the construction of the Panama Canal. The language spoken is mostly a Carribbean patios closer to what you'd hear in Jamaica, although some might speak Spanish also. You can tell by some of the names of the towns along the coast, places like Livingston in Guatemala or Bluefields in Nicaragua. In some places the architecture, food, music(lots of reggae), all feels closer to the West Indies as well. Belize is the only Central American nation where there's a majority of Afro-Caribbeans, although there's a pretty sizable number of areas along the west coast of Nicaragua.

There's also the Garifuna, who have a culture that's a mix of Carib/Arawak Indians and Africans that migrated from the West Indies to Central America. From Belize through the coast of Guatemala and Honduras, there's Garifuna communities. Apparently there's a number of Garifuna in New York as well.

Garifuna Ethnic Group Seeks Voice In New York City

It's interesting because Afro-Carribbeans and Garifuna from Central America might be considered Hispanic in the US because of their country of orgin, although culturally they're closer to Trinidad or Jamaica.
Most Central Americans have African ancestry in varying degrees. Belize is actually mostly mixed race. And not all people of African descent in Belize are from Caribbean origins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Most Central Americans have African ancestry in varying degrees. Belize is actually mostly mixed race. And not all people of African descent in Belize are from Caribbean origins.
Your right. Mestizo's are actually the largest ethnic group with about 50% of the total population. Creoles/Mulattoes make up about 21%, while Garifunas/Blacks makeup only 6% of the total population.

http://www.belize.com/belize-demographics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM
 
578 posts, read 755,984 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Your right. Mestizo's are actually the largest ethnic group with about 50% of the total population. Creoles/Mulattoes make up about 21%, while Garifunas/Blacks makeup only 6% of the total population.

Belize Demographics Country Profile 2013 | With Belize Census Data
Yep. In addition keep in mind that mestizos are usually mixed with African as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top