U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:51 PM

208 posts, read 364,865 times

Advertisements

[quote=der titan;21719177]Most important things for me are; international vibe, lots of cultures and I need to be able to drive. Obviously I will have to sacrifice the cost of living.... Miami has also been on my mind after a visit last year.

The reason I ask is that I think this is a useful tool for bringing some of your candidates into sharper focus according to your wants and needs while pushing others to the back burner for the time being. Of course, this becomes more complex if you happen to be at a point in your life when your priorities are changing, in which case it takes more time and careful consideration.

There is a place we've overlooked, which I believe, fits every one of your criteria well. I have not mentioned it till now because I had some outdated cost of living figures in my head from my research years ago. I've recently noticed that, for many places, housing and even overall cost of living figures seem to have changed significantly since the last time I checked. So, today when I saw your answer to my question above, I double-checked and sure enough, this city's cost of living is much lower than I remember. The place I'm referring to is Baltimore. My impression of it has been very positive. I don't know just how car-friendly it may be, though my understanding is that it is not car-unfriendly. The only other concern might be weather. I'm beginning to realize, based on your liking of Florida, that when you say, "Year Round Weather", you mean the same kind of, preferably mild weather, year round. That happens to be my preference too and though Baltimore is a four seasons-type of place, I believe it has many other characteristics that are appealing and hard to find in a basically, mild weather, locale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 03:34 PM

80 posts, read 106,216 times
Seattle, Philadelphia, Chicago and San Diego.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:41 PM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Dog View Post
Seattle, Philadelphia, Chicago and San Diego.
The OP wants to live on a income(24K-40K) that he describes as middle class (assuming that lifestyle as well)and that amount would equal living paycheck to paycheck in those cities. Cleveland and Buffalo as posted earlier, would be more suitable options.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM

551 posts, read 998,121 times
I think Pittsburgh is a good city for a person on a middle class income. It keeps getting high marks in magazines for high livability and the cost of living is considerably low. It is probably similar to Cleveland.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:01 PM

67 posts, read 195,709 times
I would consider moving to the southeast. Atlanta has tons of inexpensive housing, pretty nice weather, and high paying jobs.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:42 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,151,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by der titan View Post
All things considered, whats your opinion as to the best place to live in the USA on an average middle class income?

For the purpose of the thread, we'll consider an average lower to middle class income to be between 24k and 40k, which is the income range I am interested in.

Also, I realize that any place can be great with a lot of money, and any place can be hell with no money. So I want you to consider the "best place" that you don't need to buy your way into happiness with a lot of income, but can live a nice life with a middle class income. I prefer the rent to be low in order to save and have money for more important things. I do not want to spend 50% of my income on rent.

My interests and values fall more in line with someone who lives a cosmopolitan lifestyle, rather than your average frat boy type sports fanatic. Therefore, a decent sports culture and beer bar scene is unimportant to me.

Culture shock wouldn't be a problem, as long as I didn't move to a heavily religious community. Those people annoy me to no end... That's why I would be wary to move anywhere in the Bible belt. Fortunately, most places suck there anyway. Big surprise...

Anyway, I don't want you guys to try to find a place for me, but to tell me what your best place in the USA is, and why... That's much more interesting to me...also, its too hard to find a place for me, a guy that you've never met...

Characteristics of the Place to Consider:
1. Year Round Weather
2. Culture/Things to do/Nightlife (whatever is important to you for entertainment)
3. Average Quality of the People (nice, snotty, fake, good personalities, loyal, etc..)
4. Culturally and racially diverse
5. Price of Housing (rent)
6. Overall quality of life
7. Scenery/Beauty of Area
8. Car friendly
9. Vibrant; city doesn't sleep at 11pm
10. Nearby cities for weekend trips.

So, whats your best place on a middle class income? No place is going to be perfect, and no place is going to hit all of the best characteristics listed above. But whats the best for you, considering whats important to you?
If you are TRULY blue collar or are representing somebody who is, these chars. you listed above are nice, but utterly useless for the most part. If you are middle or lower class, the obvious disadvantage of being such is that you DO NOT have the same choices and preferences as higher classes do, which is why you settle for what you can get. What I am saying is that you can't say you have a $40K family income (max) and then tell me how important weather is to you -- you just can't. Your priorities should be employment, employment and emlpoyment. Followed by, longevity, bonuses, retirement plan, stock options, etc. Wherever foots the bills for your household with the highest income:expense ratio should be where you live, and just hope that either yourself or your kids can take the next steps toward financial freedom. NOW.....if you find that several cities foot the bill for you in this regard, THEN you can get more choosey.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:27 AM

39 posts, read 160,117 times
West 336, I didn't ask about employment opportunities at all. I want to know what you think is the best city in the USA and why.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:18 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,151,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by der titan View Post
West 336, I didn't ask about employment opportunities at all. I want to know what you think is the best city in the USA and why.
What I wrote touched the reasons why your criteria or characteristics can't really be considered too much when, at $24K-$40K income, you will struggle to find ANY affordable housing that doesn't gobble up 50% of your tax-adjusted net income. I'm sort of saying you can't really be too mobile or choosey at this income bracket.

But, hypothetically, if I were ME (and I am) and I was in YOUR shoes, I'd live where there is a large middle class and is affordable. Cities like: Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, or St. Louis......and possibly Birmingham, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis or Charlotte.

BUT, for ME, I would go to where I could maximize my quality of living with my income (need that job!!!), whether through increased pay or decreased cost -- all while maintaining that cosmopolitain, young, energetic lifestyle you desire. For me, it's:

Minneapolis-St. Paul
Chicago
Cleveland
Pittsburgh

*because all four have weather I prefer, a large (or moderate) middle class, relatively lower cost of living, good education opportunities, tons of amenities and cosmopolitain lifestyle, and low/moderate unemployment.

Others I would consider if I sacrificed a bit:

Dallas
Houston
Austin
Kansas City
Oklahoma City

*most of these have inclimate weather for me, do not have the quality of life or culture that I am accustomed to, average-at-best education opps, but have booming economies, a large middle class, cheap, have plenty of amenities, and are overall pretty popular and progressive.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM

39 posts, read 160,117 times
Thanks for your input! Will def give it some thought

Old 02-02-2016, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 1,614 times
Trippin, interesting writings. Could I get a location astrology reading? I'm serious, have had some bad experiences myself.....even posted a thread but have gotten no responses😕
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or