U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 02:43 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,357,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali1234 View Post
This makes no sense?

Wal Mart is the 18th largest public corporation. So, the headquarters being located in Walmart actually makes Arkansas higher on the scale...
I think he is trying to make the point that having alot of Walmart locations in a particular state is a bad thing, which is both idiotic and elitist.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 PM

284 posts, read 421,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I think he is trying to make the point that having alot of Walmart locations in a particular state is a bad thing, which is both idiotic and elitist.
I'll have to agree with this.

However, some people have the opinion that Walmart is an evil empire that's out to destroy small town businesses everywhere.

OR that Walmart is an evil entity built on child labor and exploiting the poorest of the poor and only ignorant people who have no knowledge of these things (or "apathetic" people such as myself who know but obviously "don't care" because we still shop there...) would ever set foot in such an evil place.

OR because Walmart sells inexpensive things then everything they sell must be cheaply made and only us ignorant saps would fall for such evilness as to buy the inexpensive merchandise thinking we're getting a "good deal" while the intellectuals can rest easy knowing they're paying more for better.

Not saying that these are this particular poster's opinion, but...

Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali1234 View Post
This makes no sense?

Wal Mart is the 18th largest public corporation. So, the headquarters being located in Walmart actually makes Arkansas higher on the scale...
You repeated my point.

Quote:
You tell me?
Take a look at the people who shop there and the quality of their products sold.

Quote:
Yes, it is a bad thing. I believe there is a correlation between poor states and Wal Mart's. The link I posted backs up my claim, every state high on that list is poor. Call me an elitsts all day long, I would rather be an elitist over contributing to redneck culture by stepping foot into one of those stores.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM

821 posts, read 1,253,531 times
Richest and Poorest States in the United States - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

When adjusted median household income is taken into account, the 10 poorest states (DC included) are scattered throughout the Northeast, South, and West.

42. New York
43. New Mexico
44. Vermont
45. Montana
46. Arkansas
47. Washington, DC
48. Mississippi
49. Hawaii
50. West Virginia
51. Maine

Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM

15,723 posts, read 9,636,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Stereotype much?

Boston has one of the most racist cities in the united states. And does having a high level education make somebody an inherently better person than somebody that isn't educated?

You talk about archaic. That's what your stereotypes are.
When they use their lack of education to demonize and discriminate against people, and still pretend they are morally superior, yes.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:18 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,017,204 times
List of U.S. states by poverty rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AL is 47th
MS is 50th

Old 11-17-2011, 04:39 PM

4,229 posts, read 5,692,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post

Liberals: They're there. They're called black people.
If your attitude towards those who disagree or think differently than you is any indication of the prevailing mindset of Mississippi and Alabama (which I hope it isn't), you've answered your own question about people's opinion of those two states.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
When they use their lack of education to demonize and discriminate against people, and still pretend they are morally superior, yes.
What about using your education to demonize and descriminate against those that may not be as educated? Because I guarantee you the biggest exploiters of a lot of blacks in this country aren't southern rednecks in their trailer parks, but instead work for gigantic corporations, have Ivy League degrees, and many have northeastern or west coast roots.

Btw, you are painting all southerners with a broad brush. Isn't that being "judgemental"?

If somebody made a stupid comment like, "All gays have AIDS." you would be in an uproar.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
You repeated my point.

Take a look at the people who shop there and the quality of their products sold.

Yes, it is a bad thing. I believe there is a correlation between poor states and Wal Mart's. The link I posted backs up my claim, every state high on that list is poor. Call me an elitsts all day long, I would rather be an elitist over contributing to redneck culture by stepping foot into one of those stores.
Wow good job of using outdated stereotypes to try to prove a point.

I guess Target also contributes to redneck culture because they are usually a short distance away from each other.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
If your attitude towards those who disagree or think differently than you is any indication of the prevailing mindset of Mississippi and Alabama (which I hope it isn't), you've answered your own question about people's opinion of those two states.
It's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or