U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2011, 09:51 AM
 
Location: SW Pennsylvania
821 posts, read 1,253,531 times
Reputation: 754

Advertisements

The rural and working class northeast had Ames department store. When they acquired Hills, the company had a presence in the Mid-Atlantic and parts of the South. But their roots were in the northeast and that's where most of the stores were located.

Wal-Mart originated in the lower Midwest/Arkansas area so that's probably why there are more Wal-Marts there. Southwest PA/Northern WV/Eastern OH didn't get their first Wal-Mart supercenters until the early 2000's, when Ames went bankrupt and closed all of their stores. A void had to be filled and Wal-Mart took over, which were generally a lot nicer than Ames.

 
Old 11-19-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,021 posts, read 13,539,714 times
Reputation: 8045
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Stereotype much?

Boston has one of the most racist cities in the united states. And does having a high level education make somebody an inherently better person than somebody that isn't educated?

You talk about archaic. That's what your stereotypes are.
Pray tell, how is Boston the "most racist cities (sic) in the united states"? Why, because of a busing incident that happened DECADES ago? Because it has fewer blacks than parts of the South? People complain about stereotypes and yet go right ahead and stereotype other cities. Frankly, speaking as a black person who grew up in Boston, I think it's far LESS racist than many areas of the South and other cities I've visited. Last I checked, there weren't white teens grabbing black men, tying them up to pickups, and gleefully dragging them to death. Last I check, schools in Boston weren't holding segregated proms. Areas in the north have had their issues with racism, but it truly seems like a lot of the South, especially Miss., want to carry on with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Ok in case you haven't already noticed, StarsandStripes is a bigot. I also would like to remind everyone on C-D that he or she in no way represents how the vast majority of people in Alabama think.
S&SF is one of the poorest advocates for a state/area that I've ever seen on C-D. Sadly, he/she that pile on the issues for Alabama and Mississippi. It seems like the most vocal proponents for these states and the South in general do more to validate people's opinions about them than invalidate them. I have zero doubt that there are moderate, liberal, educated, religiously diverse people in these states, but they get drowned out by the uneducated, Bible thumping, right wing loons that seem to represent them. These areas are badly in need for better representation.

I'll admit, I have very little love for Mississippi and not much for Alabama. As a liberal minded (and no, liberal doesn't automatically mean I vote Democrat 100% of the time), highly literate, LGBT friendly, black woman who doesn't subscribe to any religion, especially Baptist (I'm more inclined to follow the Buddhist religion than any Christian based one, if I was to choose), not only do these areas have nothing for me, but I would likely be ostracized in many communities in these states. I feel more suited for the mentalities typical in San Fransisco and Seattle over Birmingham and Jackson. Recent news and statistics coming from these states just strengthen my opinions.

As for Walmart, I think it's a bad sign for an area when a big box store like Walmart or Target is the only main source of commerce. Thriving cities need a variety of shopping options: big box stores, smaller department stores, local chains, small independent businesses, etc. IMHO, it doesn't bode well for an area when the local Walmart (rarely is it the local Target) is the #1- and, in many instances, only- stop for groceries, clothes, electronics, books, drugs, furniture,and other incidentals.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 02:34 PM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
No, it's not. The states with the least Wal Marts are rural too, they are not poverty stricken so they refuse to shop at such a low quality store. States like Washington, NJ, CT, Maine, ILL, Maryland, VA are all rural. They don't rank high for Wal Marts though, it's the poverty stricken states.
CT and NJ are not rural states, there densities are 1,100 and 750 ppsm over the state
 
Old 11-19-2011, 06:36 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,577,740 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
S&SF is one of the poorest advocates for a state/area that I've ever seen on C-D.
Please, do explain. I do not live in Alabama or Mississippi, but it's pathetic the way these states are unjustifiably attacked on this forum.

If someone pointing out the facts indicates a "poor advocate", then who cares.

If pointing out demographic realities, the result of research, education, and general observation, makes me out to be a poor advocate, then who cares.

People attack my arguments out of sheer ignorance. If they were enlightened, they wouldn't speak such drivel.

Quote:
Sadly, he/she that pile on the issues for Alabama and Mississippi. It seems like the most vocal proponents for these states and the South in general do more to validate people's opinions about them than invalidate them.
Please explain. What have I stated that so-called "invalidates" them? Oh yeah, I pointed out the reality that Alabama has a higher black population than most states. Wow, telling the truth "invalidates" things, and we can't have that. Pointing out that blacks, not only in Alabama, but all over the nation, on average, have lower education levels, higher poverty rates, etc. so called "invalidates" my retort to so-called "poor education/high poverty" attacks. My argument was not out of condemnation, but of providing a huge variable for such differences.

Quote:
I have zero doubt that there are moderate, liberal, educated, religiously diverse people in these states, but they get drowned out by the uneducated, Bible thumping, right wing loons that seem to represent them. These areas are badly in need for better representation.
This is the type of pious, arrogant statement that people cannot stand. You equate being right wing with being a "loon" and "uneducated". Talk about being tolerant. Oh yeah, one is uneducated if they don't subscribe to left wing thinking that says that telling the truth is bad.

By the way, I'm far from uneducated. You seriously don't realize how far you're in over your head.

By saying "Bible Thumping", you also attack Christianity and Christ. After all, the Bible is believed by Christians to be the Holy Word of God. This same book was the Word from God, which became Flesh, in the form of Christ. I realize, however, that you find it acceptable to attack Christians. After all, it's not politically correct to harmlessly point out the fact that the reason why Alabama often rates poor on many social criteria has to do with its vastly different demographic component to its population, with no harm toward any group intended, but it's acceptable to bash Christians, purposefully, for no other reason than to inflict hatred toward those who espouse different views from one's own. By the way, how did Christianity get wrapped up in your argument?

Quote:
I'll admit, I have very little love for Mississippi and not much for Alabama. As a liberal minded (and no, liberal doesn't automatically mean I vote Democrat 100% of the time), highly literate, LGBT friendly, black woman who doesn't subscribe to any religion, especially Baptist (I'm more inclined to follow the Buddhist religion than any Christian based one, if I was to choose), not only do these areas have nothing for me, but I would likely be ostracized in many communities in these states.
Ahh, the truth comes out. You feel alienated because you don't feel that you'd be accepted for being gay. You are directing anger toward people and regions which, by and large, don't accept homosexuality. Yet, the funny thing is, no place in the U.S. accepts homosexuality, as evidence when put to a vote. Thus, why would you lash out against Mississippi and Alabama as though they are different. Furthermore, why would you dislike a place simply because they disagree with and do not accept homosexuality? After all, homosexuality is not normal. It doesn't serve a biological goal or purpose. It's a dead-end.

No one would ostracize you because you're black. Seriously, the state is about thirty percent black. If black people were being targeted, there wouldn't be black people living in Alabama. I've always found it odd how people could talk negatively about a state for supposed hatred of blacks in the modern time, yet they live in an area themselves with very few blacks. Very odd.

Why would you specifically target Baptists? Do you realize that the president of the Southern Baptist Convention is black? Do you realize that blacks are heavily represented in the Baptist church? Frankly, I don't see anything but acceptance coming from Baptists.

What appeals to you about Buddhism? Could it be the fact that it seems "new-aged"? Are you into ritualistic behaviors, banging on gongs and meditating for days on end? By the way, Siddartha Gautama still died. There isn't any eternal life that he offered.

Honestly, I don't see anyone targeting you for any reason. Do you believe the media dishonesty and garbage that they paint of these two states?

Quote:
I feel more suited for the mentalities typical in San Fransisco and Seattle over Birmingham and Jackson. Recent news and statistics coming from these states just strengthen my opinions.
What news?

San Franciscio and Seattle are outliers. They are vastly different than most places in the U.S. San Francisco is vastly different than Indianapolis or Springfield, Illinois, but those of you who label themselves liberal don't seem to target these areas. Why would you target any? After all, SF and Seattle are not the norm. They're the exceptions. Most people don't live like or believe in the things that many in those cities believe in.

Quote:
As for Walmart, I think it's a bad sign for an area when a big box store like Walmart or Target is the only main source of commerce.
Certainly you're not talking about Birmingham or any major city in these states. Yeah, smaller cities you might see Wal-Mart being the main player, but this is the case for smaller cities all over the United States, so why single out Alabama and Mississippi?

Quote:
Thriving cities need a variety of shopping options: big box stores, smaller department stores, local chains, small independent businesses, etc.
Yes, thriving larger cities do have those options. Smaller cities often do not.

Quote:
IMHO, it doesn't bode well for an area when the local Walmart (rarely is it the local Target) is the #1- and, in many instances, only- stop for groceries, clothes, electronics, books, drugs, furniture,and other incidentals.
Do you honestly believe this to be the case for Birmingham and Jackson?

By the way, most smalltown areas don't have a Target. Target is mostly concentrated in the suburbs and a few intown locations.

Even most smaller cities, however, have independent drug stores, furniture stores, and grocery stores.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 06:42 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,577,740 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
CT and NJ are not rural states, there densities are 1,100 and 750 ppsm over the state
Not unusual considering that they're small and found within the blanket of the metropolitan areas of New York City, Hartford and Philadelphia.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 06:50 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,577,740 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Pray tell, how is Boston the "most racist cities (sic) in the united states"? Why, because of a busing incident that happened DECADES ago? Because it has fewer blacks than parts of the South? People complain about stereotypes and yet go right ahead and stereotype other cities. Frankly, speaking as a black person who grew up in Boston, I think it's far LESS racist than many areas of the South and other cities I've visited. Last I checked, there weren't white teens grabbing black men, tying them up to pickups, and gleefully dragging them to death. Last I check, schools in Boston weren't holding segregated proms. Areas in the north have had their issues with racism, but it truly seems like a lot of the South, especially Miss., want to carry on with them
Boston is no more "racist" than any other city, Birmingham included.

What you speak of with regard to a dragging was horrible, but that's not what typically happens. That was also over a decade ago. You can find dragging deaths of whites. You can find violent racist attacks against whites, such as the Knoxville murders of two coeds. These are isolated incidents, just as they are all over the country.

Regarding the "prom", it wasn't the prom. It was a private dance set up by certain students' parents from one school. The media lied, just as they always do. This was also in Georgia. That said, people have the right to have their own dance if they wish. Do you not believe that people have the right of freedom of association? If not, let's do away with the Soul Train Awards, Miss Black America, BET, Congressional Black Caucus, black colleges, UNCF, MECHA, LaRaza, and all the other non-white advocacy groups. After all, by your logic, they're racist.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 06:53 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,577,740 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Pretty much. The guy is essentially saying that it's perfectly fine to bash MS and AL as long as it's restricted to Black folks. The good White folks are off limits.

And truth be told, the stats among Blacks in Mississippi still tends to be worse than in other states. It's a lie that it's the same with the Black population in every state.
You can twist it to whatever you want it to be. The fact is that Mississippi and Alabama score poor on many of these social criteria given the demographic realities of their population components. There's no harm in pointing out the truth. This is not an attack on blacks, but rather a retort to those who try to paint these states as vastly different, as though larger gaps exist within each sub-group when compared to other states.

I don't condone bashing these states for any reason. Otherwise, I never would have started this thread.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Reputation: 8803
You completely misunderstood eevee's post.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 689,516 times
Reputation: 781
Scumbag Alabama & Mississippi.

Complains about low income families and minorities receiving welfare, receives more federal tax dollars than what those two states put back into the federal coffers.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,577,740 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
No excuses, bottom line is change it
Change what? The truth? I realize that you obviously get riled up easily, but stop taking things so personally. The way you speak, with words such as "bottom line is change it", makes you sound like you're giving me a mandate. Who are you to tell me how to believe and what to say?

As I've stated before, my intent was not to say anything negatively about a group of people, only to give a major reason for why statistics often do not shine favorably on these states. You really can't talk about the differences without bringing demographic realities into the discussion.


Quote:
AL and MS lead the way above all others. Keep eating those greased up fried foods.
Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics: U.S. Obesity Trends | DNPAO | CDC

This link tells the truth. The average rate of obesity for state is about 27%. The lowest is Colorado at 22%. The highest are Mississippi, West Virginia, and Alabama, but only by ten percentage points from the lowest. Alabama only has about five percent more of its population obese compared to the U.S. average. Furthermore, Alabama's obesity rate is only about ten years ahead of all other states. After all, it's obesity rate was lower in 1995 than even the least-obese states are today. As I've said, this is a U.S. problem.


Actually, I have already posted those facts. Did you miss them in my post? AL is 47th and MS is 50th. MS and AL both are in the bottom 4.

As I've stated, demographic components play a huge part in the differences.

SAT scores show disparities by race, gender, family income - USATODAY.com
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...d_intelligence

I said HIGH smoker ratings, not highEST.

Alabama is 11th
States with Most Smokers: KY Tops List

Quote:
They sure do. Wal Marts go into poverty stricken areas, well documented. AL and MS are 2nd and third in this country for most wal marts per capita. Did you mis my link for that one too?
You're incorrect. Wal-Mart will not locate in a slum. They are located in areas of all socioeconomic levels, but they do not locate in slums or the areas with the highest poverty.

I don't see your point.

Wal-Mart stores.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._footprint.png


Their rebel culture has EVERYTHING to do with it. The rebel culture they participate in is exactly why they are the fattest, least educated, smoke the most and the most poverty stricken.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top