U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,151,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
It's everywhere... crawfish, gumbo, jambalaya, tasso, étouffée, andouille, boudin, beef/gravy/rice, pralines... I can get this stuff across most of Mississippi and within people's homes. Can't say the same about Alabama.

Crawfish, gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee.. yeah.
Boudin is limited outside of southwest LA and isn't even all that common in New Orleans. You don't even start seeing boudin advertised until you're west of Atchafalaya.
Real andoulle and tasso is hard to find north of I-10. The closest you'll get is Andoulile "style" or Andouille "flavored" sausage once you start heading north unless you're in Whole Foods or somewhere high-end.
I've never had or have seen a "real" praline outside of Southeast Louisiana unless it was shipped from there.

Even then, when this stuff is found in Mississippi it's popularity only goes up to somewhere between Hattiesburg and Jackson and eating those things aren't an everyday thing like they are down here.

Still, the food is better to me in Mississippi than anything I've ever had in Alabama. Last time I was in Mobile, I had waiter constantly "correct" me on how to pronounce the name of a New Orleans styled dish.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 11-22-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 07:02 AM

29,983 posts, read 27,517,120 times
Quote:
Like I said, the problem with Alabama is that they always have a neighboring state that is better than it when looking at individual measures.
And Mississippi is often at the bottom of a lot of good lists and the top of a lot of bad lists, more so than Alabama. So I really don't see your point. Mississippi has its positives, but I'd much rather live in Alabama which has better cities, better educational institutions, more amenities, etc.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:48 AM

2,200 posts, read 3,799,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

Crawfish, gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee.. yeah.
Boudin is limited outside of southwest LA and isn't even all that common in New Orleans. You don't even start seeing boudin advertised until you're west of Atchafalaya.
Real andoulle and tasso is hard to find north of I-10. The closest you'll get is Andoulile "style" or Andouille "flavored" sausage once you start heading north unless you're in Whole Foods or somewhere high-end.
I've never had or have seen a "real" praline outside of Southeast Louisiana unless it was shipped from there.

Even then, when this stuff is found in Mississippi it's popularity only goes up to somewhere between Hattiesburg and Jackson and eating those things aren't an everyday thing like they are down here.

Still, the food is better to me in Mississippi than anything I've ever had in Alabama. Last time I was in Mobile, I had waiter constantly "correct" me on how to pronounce the name of a New Orleans styled dish.
I look at it like this: Alabama's food is "okay"... Mississippi's is good... but Louisiana is a culinary powerhouse. Louisiana's influence helps bring Mississippi above Alabama as there is an improvement gradient as one moves westwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And Mississippi is often at the bottom of a lot of good lists and the top of a lot of bad lists, more so than Alabama. So I really don't see your point. Mississippi has its positives, but I'd much rather live in Alabama which has better cities, better educational institutions, more amenities, etc.
So Mississippi is the only state that neighbors Alabama?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM

284 posts, read 422,232 times
I'm gonna leave
this here... I get to see this every time I turn on the TV. Note the sponsor.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
So Mississippi is the only state that neighbors Alabama?
LOL, what does that have to do with anything? You and I both know that Alabama bests Mississippi when it comes to most objective criteria.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
LOL, what does that have to do with anything? You and I both know that Alabama bests Mississippi when it comes to most objective criteria.
It was my original point. The reason that Alabama has so many personal "size" issues is because they have nothing that they can claim is better than any of their surrounding states, and they can't stand that. Food, cities, culture, music, football, ruralness/small towns, mountains, beaches, industry, military bases,... I mean seriously, what is Alabama better at?

It displays itself quite well between the ridiculous looking tower in Mobile, to when they built the pier in Gulf Shores to be just a little longer than Pensacola's, to even when the license plates were "Stars Fall on... Alabama"... I mean seriously, how is that not trying to sound better than the "Georgia... on my mind" license plates. (Which, lol, is so much better anyways.)

Old 11-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
It was my original point. The reason that Alabama has so many personal "size" issues is because they have nothing that they can claim is better than any of their surrounding states, and they can't stand that. Food, cities, culture, music, football, ruralness/small towns, mountains, beaches, industry, military bases,... I mean seriously, what is Alabama better at?

It displays itself quite well between the ridiculous looking tower in Mobile, to when they built the pier in Gulf Shores to be just a little longer than Pensacola's, to even when the license plates were "Stars Fall on... Alabama"... I mean seriously, how is that not trying to sound better than the "Georgia... on my mind" license plates. (Which, lol, is so much better anyways.)
You obviously have some sort of chip on your shoulder about Alabama. It surpasses Mississippi on just about every objective measure and I'm sure you know that.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You obviously have some sort of chip on your shoulder about Alabama. It surpasses Mississippi on just about every objective measure and I'm sure you know that.
Not every, and like I said, Mississippi isn't Alabama's only neighbor.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
"Not every"? On which objective measures (e.g., educational attainment, per capita income, GDP, corporate headquarters, schools, etc.) does Mississippi outperform Alabama and other neighboring states?

Old 11-23-2011, 12:52 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,365,596 times
Quote:
If you took the time to read the title of this thread we are talking about Mississippi and Alabama.

You either got your butt kicked by someone from Alabama, or some girl or guy from Alabama didn't give you the time of day. Oh and BTW nobody here don't give two s**ts about what goes on in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or