U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
3,801 posts, read 6,532,736 times
Reputation: 1546

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Very true.

"I don't get why everyone thinks Alabama and Mississippi are racist and uneducated...the only reason people think that is because the blacks are so dumb and ruin everything! By the way, I am not old and ignorant...I have advanced degrees from Kinston Kommunity Kollege and Aryan Tech. I am a gentleman and a scholar."

Right ! ...Heee Haaw !!

 
Old 11-25-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 14,320,853 times
Reputation: 6904
Here's a funny one:


Is Alabama the Stupidest State in America? - YouTube
 
Old 11-26-2011, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Seattle bound
284 posts, read 421,574 times
Reputation: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Here's a funny one
Hahahahaha! That's just wrong!


They obviously didn't see the real ads for the political candidates around election time...
 
Old 11-26-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 14,320,853 times
Reputation: 6904
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
Hahahahaha! That's just wrong!


They obviously didn't see the real ads for the political candidates around election time...
The ads made by Maher and staff are funny.
 
Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 PM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
very true.

"i don't get why everyone thinks alabama and mississippi are racist and uneducated...the only reason people think that is because the blacks are so dumb and ruin everything! By the way, i am not old and ignorant...i have advanced degrees from kinston kommunity kollege and aryan tech. I am a gentleman and a scholar."
+1,000,000
 
Old 11-26-2011, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
286 posts, read 351,119 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Very true.

"I don't get why everyone thinks Alabama and Mississippi are racist and uneducated...the only reason people think that is because the blacks are so dumb and ruin everything! By the way, I am not old and ignorant...I have advanced degrees from Kinston Kommunity Kollege and Aryan Tech. I am a gentleman and a scholar."

LOL!!! I get the drift...
 
Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 14,195,862 times
Reputation: 14796
For me it's just personal preference. I hated living in Tennessee, and from what I've seen Mississippi and Alabama are a lot like TN, only with even more of the culture that I don't care for. It's nothing personal, I just prefer a different culture in general. I can even appreciate them from a distance, I just don't want to live there.
 
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
 
816 posts, read 1,588,161 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Yes I am very aware of the difference between cajun and creole, and I do see both of their influences in the variety of food in Mississippi, as well as a local influence in Mobile. Northern Mississippi is separated, sure, but it's all over Southern Mississippi.

Rural life is not the same everywhere, sorry. I've been to enough rural places around the country to understand this.



Which state has better high school recruits? If you say Alabama, you have to be joking. Perhaps you've missed the cultural change in the south, but when Alabama was busy winning many of their "championships", Florida was not nearly the powerhouse it is now which is a permanent change. From the 90s forward, Alabama has done what? Yeah you might get lucky a few years, but Florida is the power of the region now. Sorry to burst your bubble.
FL is definitely tops, in the last 28 years...
Miami has 5 National Championships
UF has 3 national Championships
FSU has 2 national Championships

They have probably played in about 8-10 more combined also that they didn't end up winning. I can think of several off the top of my head, FSU/TN, FSU/FL, FSU/Oklahoma, Miami/Alabama, Miami/Ohio State and I think I'm missing a few more.

That's better than 1 out of every 3 years for the state.'

In the same time Alabama has 2, Auburn has 1. 2 of those are the last 2 years... the last before was 20 years ago in 1992, and before that, in the 70s.

Neither of the Alabama teams had dominating streaks like the FL teams either... FSU finished in the top 4 in the country 14 years in a row. Miami had 2 different streaks of 34 wins in a row and 39 wins in a row in that area. All 3 teams are littered with #1 draft picks and tons of NFL players.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 11-28-2011 at 03:03 PM..
 
Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,581,842 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
This thread was initially started (by you) in defense of Mississippi and Alabama...a noble cause, to be sure, and I think if anyone else had done it, with a logical bent, I'm sure that a lot of the heat that has transpired would be non-existent, and a good, lively discussion would have ensued...

But no, unfortunately, your almost-unearthly, ever-annoying, problem with anyone a shade or two darker than you reared its' head, and now, 24 pages deep, we are treated to more asinine 'racist??? Moi? race-baiter??? Moi???Surely you don't mean ol' squeaky-clean, butter-won't-melt-in-my-mouth me!' denials

But as I may have stated in an earlier post, Mississippi and Alabama will get no grief from me---I have no rhyme or reason to dredge up stuff that occurred in most cases LONG before I was born, and use it to drop the hammer on a whole generation of folk, who had NOTHING to do with any of that stuff

However, know this---your degrees, advanced, correspondence-school, or otherwise, don't amount to a pot of freshly-drained beans here, nor do they give you any edge (real or imagined) of superiority, over your fellow posters...if you say something, and folks disagree with you, they are going to by-golly speak their minds, and no amount of you lifting your nose in a gesture of disdain will make that go away

Finally, I will take it upon myself to address THIS particular point...I am terribly sorry if you have an ongoing issue with members of racial groups other than your own, and you carry a bottle of sanitizer around with you in case one of them gives you cooties , but I would suggest you act like you're learning to play poker, and deal, because we/they are citizens of this country (and Mississippi and Alabama too, for that matter), and as such, will live their lives how and WHERE they see fit, not needing your permission or approval, and not caring if you walk around all day with a mouth full of lemon juice, practicing your disaffected, disdainful facial expressions...

Get over it, because frankly, there's nothing you can do about except whine and snark about it on a chat forum
I suppose people want to make more of my comments than they were meant to be. I simply made use of statistics with regard to demographic/variables on various measures of quality of life, as it pertains to Alabama and Mississippi, and for that people get upset.

Oh well. It's a shame that people are so sensitive about such an obvious reason for so-called lower or lagging indicators on quality of life measures for the two states. If you'll recall, I never made it a point in the original post. It was only brought up by me because it is a huge reason for discrepancies between the states. People made more out of it than they needed to. They attempted to apply a negative meaning to the context for bringing up the issue. Unfortunately, this seems to be the case in this pc world.
 
Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 16 days ago)
 
48,259 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Reputation: 15359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
FL is definitely tops, in the last 28 years...
Miami has 5 National Championships
UF has 3 national Championships
FSU has 2 national Championships

They have probably played in about 8-10 more combined also that they didn't end up winning. I can think of several off the top of my head, FSU/TN, FSU/FL, FSU/Oklahoma, Miami/Alabama, Miami/Ohio State and I think I'm missing a few more.

That's better than 1 out of every 3 years for the state.'

In the same time Alabama has 2, Auburn has 1. 2 of those are the last 2 years... the last before was 20 years ago in 1992, and before that, in the 70s.

Neither of the Alabama teams had dominating streaks like the FL teams either... FSU finished in the top 4 in the country 14 years in a row. Miami had 2 different streaks of 34 wins in a row and 39 wins in a row in that area. All 3 teams are littered with #1 draft picks and tons of NFL players.
Florida also has major league teams:
Miami Marlins(MLB)
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Miami Heat(NBA)
Florida Panthers(NHL)
Tampa Bay Rays(MLB)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers(NFL)
Tampa Bay Lightning(NHL)
Orlando Magic(NBA)
Jacksonville Jaguars(NFL)

Florida also gave it a shot at Major League Soccer(Tampa Bay Mutiny and Miami Fusion). It failed, but Florida gave it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top