U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 02:29 PM

219 posts, read 389,156 times

Advertisements

What really gets me is all the finger-wagging coming from people in Louisiana (mostly from the Baton Rouge-New Orleans corridor it seems). I lived in both BR and NOLA and have no gripes with either--EXCEPT for Louisianans who like to get high and mighty by mocking Mississippi or Alabama. Get over it, people--Louisiana is often ranked lower, if not dead last, in many of those quality of life measurements. It's poverty rate is often higher than Alabama's depending on the metric, and crime is usually ranked as the worst in the country. For the one person that said all the crime is in NOLA city limits and not in the suburbs? I was amazed that suburban, middle-class Jefferson Parish (the bulk of NOLA's suburbs) had more than 30 homicides in one year and that virtually no one still sends his/her kids to public schools. It's hardly a rosy picture compared to the suburbs of most other similarly sized cities--including Birmingham.

Don't get me wrong...I love New Orleans and recognize that its cultural uniqueness has often allowed the media to overlook some of it and the states myriad problems. But Louisiana is no doubt worse than AL or MS for corruption, crime, and affordability of housing. It has tons of oil reserves yet still is in the top five for poverty, and most of the petrochemical HQs abandoned the state for Texas because of more favorable conditions for doing business. You can blame partisanship to a certain extent, but the political in-fighting after Katrina was far worse than neighboring Mississippi, and the MS Gulf Coast, though not as devastated, was totally wiped out.

I'm not trying to pick on Louisiana any more than fluff up AL or MS, but some balance must applied here--not something I see from a lot of smug Louisianans who ignore the plank in their eyes. All three states have distinctive problems and worthy attributes as well--just like every other state in the country.

But the OP has not been a great ambassador for his cause--getting petulant if people disagree with his (not his states') politics. Trying to speak on behalf of MS and AL as though their Bible-belt conservatism is the truth and the light is no better than the Louisianans finger-wagging, or New York and San Francisco thinking life there is perfect and the rest of the country's filled with untraveled bumpkins. It's all generalizing and is equally unfair, so no point in dishing it back out when you clearly can't take it.

Lastly, if you think MS and LA have it rough, come to the north and hear what people say about West Virginia in terms of stereotypes--I feel so bad for people there. They don't even have a city the size of Jackson, and because WV is mostly white and working class, they get the nastiest jokes and no political correctness stops anyone from stepping up to their defense.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 AM

24 posts, read 25,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What is it with people that they feel the need to interject the names of the states of Mississippi and Alabama when they want to make their state look better? I don't know how many times I've heard, "At least it's not Mississippi", "At least we're not Alabama", etc.

What is so bad about Mississippi and Alabama? Nothing, in my opinion. They are two fine states.

I understand you may be more liberally inclined, and you may not like the fact that these two states are filled with a lot of conservative, religious people, but so what! Why does that make it a bad state? Why does that justify you bringing it up for ridicule in threads that having nothing to do with the state?

It's about time that people got with the times and realized that both of these states are wonderful, beautiful states filled with great people.
Amen brother Amen. I rate Alabama and Mississippi the 2nd and 3rd best state in America behind only Louisiana. Liberals are known not to like us serious Christians, and these states are in the heart of the Bible belt so that explains all you need to know.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:31 PM

56,653 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristTheKing View Post
Amen brother Amen. I rate Alabama and Mississippi the 2nd and 3rd best state in America behind only Louisiana. Liberals are known not to like us serious Christians, and these states are in the heart of the Bible belt so that explains all you need to know.
I don't think that religion and politics has anything to do with it for many people. With that said, they aren't necessarily what people think they are.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM

177 posts, read 235,960 times
There's a lot of things I really like about the south that I wish was more in line in my home state. Today to many people don't grow up and act like children eve into there 40s at this point. Relationships don't stick as much and people in my view don't value family life like they should.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:58 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,315,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What is it with people that they feel the need to interject the names of the states of Mississippi and Alabama when they want to make their state look better? I don't know how many times I've heard, "At least it's not Mississippi", "At least we're not Alabama", etc.

What is so bad about Mississippi and Alabama? Nothing, in my opinion. They are two fine states.

I understand you may be more liberally inclined, and you may not like the fact that these two states are filled with a lot of conservative, religious people, but so what! Why does that make it a bad state? Why does that justify you bringing it up for ridicule in threads that having nothing to do with the state?

It's about time that people got with the times and realized that both of these states are wonderful, beautiful states filled with great people.
What makes those states bad states is the fact they have some of the worst education in the nation, some of the highest poverty rates in the nation, some of the most backward, uneducated, close-minded people of anywhere.... They're accents sounds dumb (sorry, but they do) they're generally flat....and hot...and not all that pretty.

Also, some of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. And some of the highest obesity rates in the nation. Ew, I wish we could give them away to Mexico or something. It's like embarrassing they have to associate with the US

Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
Quote:
This is why Mississippi and Alabama are on the bottom of my list of favorite states, Religion is pretty big in most areas... but hey at least you guys arent Saudi Arabia

Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,945,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
What makes those states bad states is the fact they have some of the worst education in the nation, some of the highest poverty rates in the nation, some of the most backward, uneducated, close-minded people of anywhere.... They're accents sounds dumb (sorry, but they do) they're generally flat....and hot...and not all that pretty.

Also, some of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. And some of the highest obesity rates in the nation. Ew, I wish we could give them away to Mexico or something. It's like embarrassing they have to associate with the US
Ever been there?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,771,019 times
Quote:
Pfft, are you kidding?!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:24 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,315,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Ever been there?
Yes, I have. I couldn't wait to leave.
I was there for work and unfortunately became ill, so I saw a doctor....and he had a bible in the actual exam room.....

ummm, shouldn't there be a science book or something? I dont want a bible diagnosing me. Alabama and Mississippi are the worst states in the union.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM

575 posts, read 439,837 times
Quote:
Don't know why you thought it was necessary to bring up politics and religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or