U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Yes, I have. I couldn't wait to leave.
I was there for work and unfortunately became ill, so I saw a doctor....and he had a bible in the actual exam room.....

ummm, shouldn't there be a science book or something? I dont want a bible diagnosing me. Alabama and Mississippi are the worst states in the union.
I think you are over-reacting. What's actually bad about a bible in the room?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:16 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's a safety hazard. It might electrocute him if he touches it.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 AM

4,989 posts, read 7,304,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The fact that u see nothing wrong with the bible being in an doctor's exam room proves my point exactly about people in Alabama and Mississippi..... I've lived in the northeast...and in florida....and in California and have NEVER seen a bible in a doctor's office until I got to "bama"

I dont even believe in the bible, why do I have to have it in my face when being examined by a medical professional? It's inappropriate. It makes me question the abilities of the doctor...it makes me think he's relying on the bible vs. relying what science has proved.
I have nothing against the bible, it's a good book, but c'mon Alabama!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 AM

274 posts, read 293,484 times
Quote:
The fact that u see nothing wrong with the bible being in an doctor's exam room proves my point exactly about people in Alabama and Mississippi..... I've lived in the northeast...and in florida....and in California and have NEVER seen a bible in a doctor's office until I got to "bama"

I dont even believe in the bible, why do I have to have it in my face when being examined by a medical professional? It's inappropriate. It makes me question the abilities of the doctor...it makes me think he's relying on the bible vs. relying what science has proved.

I've lived in Alabama nearly my entire life and I have NEVER been in a doctor's exam room that had a Bible in it. I'm not doubting you but it is extremely rare even here.

I have to question how much time you've spent (at least in Alabama) with you saying the state is mostly flat. The Southerd 3rd of the state is pretty flat but even it has some hilly areas. The entire area north and east of a line from Tuscaloosa to Montgomery isn't even close to being flat. That area is very hilly if not mountainous in several places.

In short, Mississippi and Alabama (and Lousiana for that matter) is a lot more similar to the rest of the U.S. than people want to believe. The rankings in various categories are much closer to the average state than most want to admit. Alabama's obesity rate is a whopping less than 2% higher than Ohio which is near the middle of the pack in obesity. Is the fact that the average American state has 29% of their population obese give those states a good reason to feel that much better than a state with 31% obesity? The difference is almost unnoticeable.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 AM

811 posts, read 823,469 times
Quote:
I'm sure that the doctor isn't prescribing you medications according to the Bible. It's probably more along the lines of the doctor reading the Bible when he isn't working with patients, or the doctor wants patients to know that he is man of faith, considering that many doctors aren't men of faith.

What is wrong with a Bible being in a doctor's exam room? Do you deny the Lord, or the healing that can come from the Lord?

Quote:
I dont even believe in the bible, why do I have to have it in my face when being examined by a medical professional?
Does this doctor take the Bible and push it in your face? If not, then it isn't "in your face". You simply dislike the Bible, and you believe that every person of faith has to live or behave in a manner according to the way you like.

Quote:
It's inappropriate.
Why is it inappropriate? You're not making much sense. The Bible is the most popular book of history. It is the Word of God.

Quote:
It makes me question the abilities of the doctor...it makes me think he's relying on the bible vs. relying what science has proved.
Science isn't in the business of "proving" anything. It's in the business of using trial and error to come to the best possible conclusion, often not fully conclusive.

I'm sure the doctor makes use of his scientific training. I'm also sure that he acknowledges the work of the Ultimate Physician, the Lord, Almighty.

Such a doctor would make me feel more comfortable and confident in his abilities.

Quote:
It certainly sounds like you have something against the Bible.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,179,292 times
I lived in TN most of my life and never saw a doctor's waiting room or exam room without a Bible. I always just assumed they put them there for the patients. Plus all the doctors I knew were just as religious as anyone else. It's not the best place to live if you're an atheist.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
I get a little creeped out when I see copies of Mortuary Illustrated in the waiting room.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 PM

821 posts, read 1,253,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
Alabama's obesity rate is a whopping less than 2% higher than Ohio which is near the middle of the pack in obesity. Is the fact that the average American state has 29% of their population obese give those states a good reason to feel that much better than a state with 31% obesity? The difference is almost unnoticeable.
You are right. The majority of the US falls in the 26-30% range.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
okay people they put the bible there for whoever reads the bible, you are not forced to take it out in read it. i didn't know they had bibles in doctor exam rooms or waiting rooms, but that's probably because i don't look for bibles everywhere i go. lol

Old 08-01-2012, 04:43 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,890,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What is so bad about Mississippi and Alabama?
What's good about Alabama and Mississippi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or