U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 PM

9,467 posts, read 12,298,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1392832 View Post
Mercedes-Benz and Airbus picked Alabama. The second largest research park in the US is in Alabama, in the Huntsville area. The state is also home to one of the most affluent suburbs in the country, Mountain Brook. The University of Alabama School of Medicine is ranked in the top 10 nationally for primary care and women's health.

Alabama*| Airbus, a leading aircraft manufacturer
Cummings Research Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mountain Brook one of wealthiest communities in U.S. | al.com
University of Alabama School of Medicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, what's so scary about Alabama? It's not a scorpion infested desert.

Beaches - Sweet Home Alabama
Outdoor Activities - Sweet Home Alabama

hat's off to alabama and mississippi the pieces above shows what I have alway said , that every state in the united states of america have nationally ranked and world ranked attractions venues and institutions and business .

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,707,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
MB and Airbus picked Alabama because people down there are willing to work for lower wages than anyone else.
Actually when you look at the adjusted cost of living for individual states, Alabama's household income exceeds that of either New York or California. The problem isn't how much workers get paid, but rather how much is left over after taxes and living expenses.

We moved to Alabama after living in San Diego and Chicago and couldn't believe what houses cost, and we've had a really fulfilling lifestyle, too. Our friends were horrified that we were moving to Birmingham. But when they came to visit, they were really surprised to find a beautiful, graceful city filled with amenities. A couple of them have actually moved here. One couple sold their 2-bedroom shack in San Jose and was able to buy a 4-bedroom house outright with the equity.

And now, we live in a neighborhood that has one of the top 50 school systems in the country. My property taxes for our four-bedroom, three-story house is $3300 a year. City services are excellent. I have three Beard finalist restaurants within a few miles of me, and I can actually get reservations without much trouble (Try doing that in LA or New York). We have a music scene that Salon calls one of the top ten in the country. And the list goes on and on.

Hey, if you have scads of money lying around, I'm not saying that Birmingham is better than New York, Boston, LA, or any number of other places. But if you are trying to raise a family and not continuously have the wolf at the door, then I'm at a loss to find many places where you can better balance quality of life and cost of living. Meanwhile, I live on a street where three different families have fled California over the past 4-5 years. The term "death spiral" gets bandied about when they are speaking of their former state of residence.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-07-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Yes, I have. I couldn't wait to leave.
I was there for work and unfortunately became ill, so I saw a doctor....and he had a bible in the actual exam room.....

ummm, shouldn't there be a science book or something? I dont want a bible diagnosing me. Alabama and Mississippi are the worst states in the union.
Hmmm. Birmingham is one of the top centers for medicine in the country. My family and I have had several general practitioners, an eye doctor, three pediatricians, two different ob/gyns, a pulmonologist, and a dermatologist. I've never seen a Bible anywhere in their offices. So I don't know what the heck you're talking about.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:31 PM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
u r not alone. i love MS. esp sardis dam area south of memphis.
the south produces our soldiers and police. how come? values, tradition and guts.
southern cal does not have a great rep in MS until we bring up camp pendleton, then everything changes.
it feels good.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,018,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What is it with people that they feel the need to interject the names of the states of Mississippi and Alabama when they want to make their state look better?
Recently, North Carolina became the 31st (or so) state to pass an anti-gay marriage law. This was NC governor's response to the vote.
Bev Perdue, North Carolina Governor, On Amendment 1 Passage: 'We Look Like Mississippi'

Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,531,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Regarding the Ten Commandments, what do you think western law was inspired by? Much of it is based on moral laws inspired by the Ten Commandments.

Look into America's past and realize just how religious most of America's founders were. .
1. The Code of Hammurabi, the Magna Carta, and Hume.
2. Most of America's founders were deists.

And you wonder why people make fun of you?

Sorry....I shouldn't be on City Data this late. lol

Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 AM

811 posts, read 823,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
1. The Code of Hammurabi, the Magna Carta, and Hume.
2. Most of America's founders were deists.

And you wonder why people make fun of you?

Sorry....I shouldn't be on City Data this late. lol
The Magna Carta did play a significant role, but the others, come on. The Bible influenced much more.

Most of America's founders were not deists. Can we please stop with the lies that began about twenty years ago. It simply isn't true. Only a few were deists. Most were Christians.

Pt 1 America's Godly Heritage - YouTube

Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 AM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Personhood. !0 Commandments in courtrooms.
I bet some can even read and write above a third grade level.
But, always keep in mind, that they is gonna go to heaven, and that just has to be the most important part. Just wait until Jesus comes again.
The ignorance displayed here is not by them, but by you.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 AM

46 posts, read 30,776 times
The South is the most in line with Biblical scripture and therefore there is no better place than the South. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

The top 5 states
1. Louisiana
2. Alabama
3. Mississippi
4. Georgia
5. South Carolina
honorable mention- TN

Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
they're generally flat....and hot...and not all that pretty.

Also, some of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. And some of the highest obesity rates in the nation. Ew, I wish we could give them away to Mexico or something. It's like embarrassing they have to associate with the US
Ummm. This tells me that you really have never actually visited Alabama, given how the northern half of the state, particularly the northeast quarter of it, is rather mountainous and quite scenic. No, it's not the Rockies, but it is rather beautiful.

As far as the unemployment rates are concerned, Mississippi's unemployment rate is way less than states such as New York, California, New Jersey et al. And Alabama's is roughly a full point less than the national average, and typically remains that way. Heck, before 2008, Birmingham and Orlando were neck-and-neck for the country's lowest unemployment rate among major metros.

Good grief. I wish you'd actually think before you post, rather than form your impressions from watching old episodes of The Dukes of Hazzard.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-08-2012 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or