U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM

280 posts, read 295,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1392832 View Post
The first and only black billionaires in America were both born in Mississippi, Robert Johnson and Oprah Winfrey. The founders of Netscape, MTV and FedEx are natives of Mississippi, two graduated from Ole Miss. The late founder of HCA, the largest private operator of health care facilities in the world, was a graduate of the University of Mississippi.

Along those same lines, John Hendricks who founded the Discovery Channel and TLC grew up in Alabama and is a graduate of the University of Alabama system. So you can thank an Alabamian for all the addictive and educational programs on the Discovery Channel and its affiliates.

Jimmy Wales, the co-founder of Wikipedia, is an Alabama native with degrees from both Alabama and Auburn

E.O. Wilson, one of the most famous scientists/entomologists that ever lived is an Alabama native and Alabama graduate.

Huntsville is the original home of NASA and developed most of the rocket and missile technology that put man on the moon and that advanced this country's military/nuclear program. It was recently ranked as the 9th smartest city ON EARTH a couple of years ago.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,804,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
Along those same lines, John Hendricks who founded the Discovery Channel and TLC grew up in Alabama and is a graduate of the University of Alabama system. So you can thank an Alabamian for all the addictive and educational programs on the Discovery Channel and its affiliates.

Jimmy Wales, the co-founder of Wikipedia, is an Alabama native with degrees from both Alabama and Auburn

E.O. Wilson, one of the most famous scientists/entomologists that ever lived is an Alabama native and Alabama graduate.

Huntsville is the original home of NASA and developed most of the rocket and missile technology that put man on the moon and that advanced this country's military/nuclear program. It was recently ranked as the 9th smartest city ON EARTH a couple of years ago.
You know, given that TLC's latest offering is "Honey Boo Boo," a spin-off of "Toddlers and Tiara," I'd rather not claim him, thanks.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,537,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
The Magna Carta did play a significant role, but the others, come on. The Bible influenced much more.

Most of America's founders were not deists. Can we please stop with the lies that began about twenty years ago. It simply isn't true. Only a few were deists. Most were Christians.

Pt 1 America's Godly Heritage - YouTube
Um....could be just a bit of bias here:

'David Barton is founder of WallBuilders (WallBuilders | Presenting America's forgotten history and heroes, with an emphasis on our moral, religious, and constitutional heritage.), an organization dedicated to restoring America's constitutional, moral, and religious foundations. As stated by George Washington, David believes that, "The proopitious smiles of heaven can never be expected on a nation which disregards the eternala rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."'

Think maybe Mr. Barton has a motive for purporting that our founders were Christians?

Maybe I should have said *relevant* founding fathers-- Washington, Paine, Madison and Jefferson were all deists, to name a few. And Lincoln, for that matter. I would recommend reading "A People's History", and see what Howard Zinn-- a man who actually studied and taught history for decades, earned his PhD, etc.-- has to say about our "Godly roots." Might be a bit more pertinent than what an evangelical Christian minister turned conservative activist has to say.

To summarize: we designed our constitution specifically to keep the government from infringing on personal religious rights, and from keeping religious institutions from interfering with government.

And if you haven't read enough history to know the profound impact Hume's treatises had on the political and legal foundations of every single political revolution in the western world from about 1760 to about 1850, well...then I can't help you much, and we're done talking.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 PM

10,168 posts, read 6,509,674 times
Think maybe Mr. Barton has a motive for purporting that our founders were Christians?

Maybe I should have said *relevant* founding fathers-- Washington, Paine, Madison and Jefferson were all deists, to name a few. And Lincoln, for that matter. I would recommend reading "A People's History", and see what Howard Zinn-- a man who actually studied and taught history for decades, earned his PhD, etc.-- has to say about our "Godly roots." Might be a bit more pertinent than what an evangelical Christian minister turned conservative activist has to say.

Washington was an Episcopalian = Christian

James Madison was an Episcopalian = Christian

Thomas Jefferson was an Episcopalian protestant= Christian

Old 08-08-2012, 02:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,537,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post

Church membership can be a *bit* misleading, don't you think? What were they philosophically, theologically? What did they devote a large amount of time and space in their personal writings on? What did they frame our constitution on?

I'd be glad to track down sources, if you'd like.

I mean, come on, back then*everybody* affiliated with a church....did not make them Episcopalians, though.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:30 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,804,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post

Hey, I'm Episcopalian, too. But if you read the Federalist Papers, you will not find the words Christian, Christ, or Christianity anywhere. What's more, the word God only appears three times, two of them in reference to mythological Gods. The third was in the phrase "nature's god," which was straight out of the vocabulary of the American Enlightenment, which tried to describe a metaphysical presence without explicitly using the language of Christianity. Big difference.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 PM

280 posts, read 295,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, given that TLC's latest offering is "Honey Boo Boo," a spin-off of "Toddlers and Tiara," I'd rather not claim him, thanks.

Meh. Unfortunately NO channel's programming is completely immune to the reality show trash that has seeped into every single area of cable programming. Even though he founded and developed the Discovery/TLC channel years ago I'm not sure how much he has to do with each and every program aired. It's kinda like the Weather Channel founder that has taken issue with all the political and lifestyle programming that has made it a caricature of what was once a great weather resource. JH was a genius and pioneer in the art of documentary film making (of nature/science in his case) before it was common like it is today. He started a heckuva company considered the idea was a started while he was in college.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:50 PM

7 posts, read 10,592 times
Birmingham has one of the most beautiful n-level stack interchanges on I 459 that I have ever seen. Nothing is wrong with Alabama. I am from Louisiana and wish New Orleans and Baton Rouge had the landscape of Birmingham

Old 08-08-2012, 04:58 PM

7 posts, read 10,592 times
I feel you on this one. I lived in Starkvegas for a little while. How can such a backwards conservative place want to be associated with Las Vegas should be compared to Dallas or Nashville. Starkville MS home of Mississippi State University is a college town with nothing else to exciting. Hit Sh1+ville in the Summer and it is no different than WestPoint MS. This place is highly conservative even the so-called liberal people of Starkville Mississippi do not realize that they beliefs are conservative.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:13 PM

10,168 posts, read 6,509,674 times
No one can deny that many of the founding fathers of the United States of America were men of deep religious convictions based in the Bible and their Christian faith in Jesus Christ. Of the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence, nearly half (24) held seminary or Bible school degrees.
These Christian quotes of the founding fathers will give you an overview of their strong moral and spiritual convictions which helped form the foundations of our nation and our government.
George Washington
1st U.S. President "While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian."
--The Writings of Washington, pp. 342-343.

Founding Fathers Quotes - Christian Quotes of the Founding Fathers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or