Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 10:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

It's really not worth even worrying about.

I make a decent living, have a nice home, and I'm in good health. What someone on the other side of the country thinks about Alabama has ZERO effect on my life.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,222 times
Lightbulb Okay...I'll Take The Baton Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What have I said that is in error, or incorrect? Please do me the favor of pointing out where I have erred? All you're doing is ridiculing me, but you have the burden of proof on you to point out where I have erred.

By the way, I am nearly 35 years of age, in the prime of my life, have two advanced degrees, and am not some ignorant individual on things of which he speaks.
This thread was initially started (by you) in defense of Mississippi and Alabama...a noble cause, to be sure, and I think if anyone else had done it, with a logical bent, I'm sure that a lot of the heat that has transpired would be non-existent, and a good, lively discussion would have ensued...

But no, unfortunately, your almost-unearthly, ever-annoying, problem with anyone a shade or two darker than you reared its' head, and now, 24 pages deep, we are treated to more asinine 'racist??? Moi? race-baiter??? Moi???Surely you don't mean ol' squeaky-clean, butter-won't-melt-in-my-mouth me!' denials

But as I may have stated in an earlier post, Mississippi and Alabama will get no grief from me---I have no rhyme or reason to dredge up stuff that occurred in most cases LONG before I was born, and use it to drop the hammer on a whole generation of folk, who had NOTHING to do with any of that stuff

However, know this---your degrees, advanced, correspondence-school, or otherwise, don't amount to a pot of freshly-drained beans here, nor do they give you any edge (real or imagined) of superiority, over your fellow posters...if you say something, and folks disagree with you, they are going to by-golly speak their minds, and no amount of you lifting your nose in a gesture of disdain will make that go away

Finally, I will take it upon myself to address THIS particular point...I am terribly sorry if you have an ongoing issue with members of racial groups other than your own, and you carry a bottle of sanitizer around with you in case one of them gives you cooties , but I would suggest you act like you're learning to play poker, and deal, because we/they are citizens of this country (and Mississippi and Alabama too, for that matter), and as such, will live their lives how and WHERE they see fit, not needing your permission or approval, and not caring if you walk around all day with a mouth full of lemon juice, practicing your disaffected, disdainful facial expressions...

Get over it, because frankly, there's nothing you can do about except whine and snark about it on a chat forum

Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
What have I said that is in error, or incorrect? Please do me the favor of pointing out where I have erred? All you're doing is ridiculing me, but you have the burden of proof on you to point out where I have erred.

By the way, I am nearly 35 years of age, in the prime of my life, have two advanced degrees, and am not some ignorant individual on things of which he speaks.
I suppose one glaring error would be blaming blacks for the low education rates in Alabama and Mississippi. These two states test below average in every category, but it's not the black students pulling the white students down. Compared to other black and white students from across the country, in these two states, the black students tested just as well as the whites, and in some cases higher.

Math, Grade 4

National Average
Black: 222
White: 248

Alabama
Black: 213 (-9 of national average)
White: 238 (-10)

Mississippi
Black: 217 (-5)
White: 239 (-9)

Math, Grade 8

National Avg
Black: 259
White: 290

Alabama
Black: 246 (-13)
White: 278 (-12)

Mississippi
Black: 251 (-8)
White: 279 (-11)

Reading, Grade 4

National Avg
Black: 203
White: 230

Alabama
Black: 201 (-2)
White: 227 (-3)

Mississippi
Black: 195 (-8)
White: 222 (-8)

Reading, Grade 8

National AvgBlack: 244
White: 270

Alabama
Black: 236 (-8)
White: 261 (-9)

Mississippi
Black: 238 (-6)
White: 264 (-6)

It's no surprise that white students have higher scores than black students since they are usually in better neighborhoods and have more money...but compared to their races, the blacks in Mississippi and Alabama are doing just as well, if not better than the whites.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:51 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I suppose one glaring error would be blaming blacks for the low education rates in Alabama and Mississippi. These two states test below average in every category, but it's not the black students pulling the white students down. Compared to other black and white students from across the country, in these two states, the black students tested just as well as the whites, and in some cases higher.

Math, Grade 4

National Average
Black: 222
White: 248

Alabama
Black: 213 (-9 of national average)
White: 238 (-10)

Mississippi
Black: 217 (-5)
White: 239 (-9)

Math, Grade 8

National Avg
Black: 259
White: 290

Alabama
Black: 246 (-13)
White: 278 (-12)

Mississippi
Black: 251 (-8)
White: 279 (-11)

Reading, Grade 4

National Avg
Black: 203
White: 230

Alabama
Black: 201 (-2)
White: 227 (-3)

Mississippi
Black: 195 (-8)
White: 222 (-8)

Reading, Grade 8

National AvgBlack: 244
White: 270

Alabama
Black: 236 (-8)
White: 261 (-9)

Mississippi
Black: 238 (-6)
White: 264 (-6)

It's no surprise that white students have higher scores than black students since they are usually in better neighborhoods and have more money...but compared to their races, the blacks in Mississippi and Alabama are doing just as well, if not better than the whites.
Fantabulous post sir.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
This is a funny subject, because I do sometimes hear my fellow Alabamians crack jokes about Mississippi. Everytime people discuss Alabama's ranking in a study, people will often say "well it could be worse, we could be in Mississippi".

However, when Mississippi gets bashed on a national scale (often unjustly here at C-D), we always stand up for our neighbor.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:25 PM

137 posts, read 352,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No worldwide tour or very famous artist will stop in Jackson, MAYBE Birmingham but most likely most will travel to Atlanta, Memphis, or Nashville.
What about Lil Wayne's concert in Southhaven?

Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright1 View Post
What about Lil Wayne's concert in Southhaven?
He stops there regularly? Who else makes frequent stops?

Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 PM

166 posts, read 376,295 times
Last time I checked the only media outlet that portrays those states in a positive light is ESPN haha! OMG the SEC this SEC that. I am glad everybody else can see this region for what it really is.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:01 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
The majority of what you said was in error. I've argued with you before, if you don't recall, where you went on and on about your research, data, and statistics where it just so happened that a few other posters and I all knew from real life experience that everything that you were stating was false.

Quote:
Anyone can earn a degree. All you have to do is get the work done and stick to it. Being educated and being intelligent are very different things indeed. Actually you were ignorant to those things and tmac9wr just partially showed you why.

--------------------------------

You're upset at how people percieve these places, yet you're embodying those exact same perceptions.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:44 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
You're upset at how people percieve these places, yet you're embodying those exact same perceptions.
Very true.

"I don't get why everyone thinks Alabama and Mississippi are racist and uneducated...the only reason people think that is because the blacks are so dumb and ruin everything! By the way, I am not old and ignorant...I have advanced degrees from Kinston Kommunity Kollege and Aryan Tech. I am a gentleman and a scholar."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.