U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which east-west Interstate would you drive across country?
I-10 18 22.22%
I-40 14 17.28%
I-70 12 14.81%
I-80 17 20.99%
I-90 20 24.69%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 AM

12,432 posts, read 31,476,724 times

Advertisements

Route 50 San Francisco to Washington DC Now all I need is an RV LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,600,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Route 50 San Francisco to Washington DC Now all I need is an RV LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If you want to do the Gulf Coast, I would recommend not taking the Interstate and instead taking US Hwy 98 or 90. I-10 for the most part bypasses everything worth seeing down there.

Yeah the national highways defintitely put you right in the thick of much of what scenic beauty this country has to offer. Lots of hidden gems along the way, perhaps even more so along some of the rural intrastate routes.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:16 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I've driven a combination of I-20/10 and I-40.

If I were to do another cross country trip for S's & G's I would probably go I-80 or I-90 just because I haven't traveled them before.

I like the starkness of I-10 through west Tx, NM, Az, and Ca. Parts of I-40 go through Road Runner country in Arizona. After hours of driving I literally felt like I was in a cartoon somewhere around Winslow, Az. I made the mistake of driving through most of northern NM at night.

In my opinion, all of them get a little boring east of the great plains. There are more cities but the landscape is less dramatic.
I-20 in my opinion couldn't really be considered truly cross-country, although I guess one could make an argument that it could be, because Southwest Texas to Florence, South Carolina is well over 3/4 of the way across the country. Amazingly, it never really leaves the Southern United States to enter the true west.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 PM

9,467 posts, read 12,298,316 times
Coming down the East Coast to Interstate 10 during winter months makes the most sense to me , and a woman with a head on her shoulders like yourself could find a Million and One things to do on " The Red Neck Riveria (Mobile) ( Biloxi-Gulfport) (New Orleans) Then Houston , make a side trip to San Antonio, El Paso - Mexico is only a step away , and that goes for the state of New Mexico ( Hop on Interstate 25 ) and hot tail it to Albuquerque New Mexico.

I traveled from Tulsa Oklahoma to California a long..long..long time ago by jumping down to Interstate 10 and of course i missed the Red Neck Riveria , but caugth all of the Texas Cities along the way , and drop down south of the border at El Paso Texas into Mexico - then zipped up Interstate 25 into Albuquerque N.M (then) right back down by way of Interstate 25 to (10) into Tucson Arizona - over to San Diego California then up to San Francisco Bay California.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
Well I didn't get to the South at all for my trip from Massachusetts to New Mexico as my trip got moved up to Spring. My route...

April, 2012
I-90 Boston-Cleveland
I-80 Cleveland - Chicago
I-88 Chicago - Davenport, IA
I-80 Davenport, IA - Western Nebraska
I-76 Western Nebraska - Denver
I-25 Denver - Santa Fe, NM

I-90 is scenic through the hills of Western Mass, and rolling terrain of Upstate NY. Made a stop in Buffalo and Niagara Falls. The Falls are awesome but it sure looked like all the fun was on the Ontario side. Buffalo has seen better days. Spent the night in Erie, PA. Would have liked to spend more time in Erie and explore the lakeshore but woke up to 2 inches of snow on the ground and cold, damp, blustery weather so we hit the road.

Drove into Cleveland. Nice looking architecture, walked around for about a half hour but the weather was nasty and cold with the damp wind blowing off the lake. I did make a stop at the West Side Market and bought some fruit for the road. Cool public market, definitely a great asset to the city. Got back on the road, picked up I-80 and the Ohio Turnpike. Drove pretty quickly through Indiana, so fast that I got pulled over for doing 81 in a 70. Nice Cop, he noticed I had my life in my car and asked me where I was heading, I gave him the whole story of my move to NM and he let me go with a warning.

Approaching Chicago I-80 gets VERY intense. TONS OF TRUCKS and aggressive drivers. I veered off to the Dan Ryan Expressway and then on to Lakeshore Drive. WOW! Just Wow! Coming around the corner and seeing the Chicago skyline ahead with Lake Michigan on the right is a magnificent sight to behold. I spent the night in the suburbs and had a fun night in the city.

Next morning I pick up I-88 and head west towards Iowa. This highway has toll after toll after toll. EZ Pass comes in handy in MA/NY/OH/IN & especially Illinois. Crossed the Mississippi River into Iowa and picked up I-80. Passed by the World Largest Truck Stop and into the Iowa farmland. Iowa prairies are actually pretty scenic. The prairies really aren’t flat in Iowa but rolling and hilly. The field were being plowed and tilled for planting. Made a stop in Des Moines. Downtown is pretty dead, just business and government. Kept driving to Omaha is spent the night. We walked around the Old Market and had an incredibly good steak meal. Omaha is a pretty cool city, good downtown and nice parkland along the river.

Hit the road the next morning, made a stop in Lincoln, NE. Meh...., drove all over the city and downtown looking for a breakfast joint. Oddly enough didn't find one, so we settled for Starbucks. Found a great little greasy spoon in mall town up the road for big platter of artery clogging food. It takes a long time to get through Nebraska, hours and hours of prairie. Further west it noticeably rises more and more into the high plains. Crossing into Colorado the plains get dry and rugged. A few hours later we come around a bend and over a crest and get our first sweeping view of the Rockies. Pretty soon after the Denver skyline is in view and the scenery starts getting really good, best scenery so far on the trip. This is my fourth time in Denver, I meet up with one of my best friends for a drink and have a great night.

I wake up in Denver, my partner and I hit the road south on I-25. Just south of Denver we encounter some hills and the ground is totally covered in snow. The sun is bright and the scenery is gorgeous. We come through Colorado Springs which is in a beautiful setting n the edge of the Rockies, passing some notable sights like the US Air Force Academy. The snow clears after the Springs, the sun is shining and the day is warming up nicely. We pass through Pueblo, one of the more dank and poor cities in Colorado by appearances but the scenery past there is awesome, wide open terrain and grasslands with stunning Rocky Mountain peaks in view. We cross the state line into New Mexico going through a mountain pass and down into arid desert plains. Northeastern NM is pretty stark and austere, after a few hours of that closer to Santa Fe the scenery improves with green forested mesas, hills, and Mountains. Finally we arrive in my new home, Santa Fe! What a trip!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,110,423 times
I voted I-90 as it's the interstate I'm least familiar with, but I'd love to drive through the Cascades, Northern Rockies and through the NE.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,596,957 times
For starters, I don't think 40 and 70 go the whole way. I know 70 starts somewhere in Utah and takes you through the beauty of the Rockies, through the Eisenhower Tunnel, and you can then literally take your foot off the gas all the way down to Denver. Beyond that, there's not much...except KC and StL.

I picked 10. I've done that one a couple of times. True, there's a long and vapid stretch from El Paso to Houston, but you get California, the Arizona cities, mountainous New Mexico, Houston, New Orleans, and all of the Florida Panhandle...plus there's rarely a need for tire chains.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
I'd like to do I-40. Here's why:

1. I've never been to Wilmington, NC, but I've heard it's another classic Atlantic South town like Charleston and Savannah.

2. I'd like to do the crazy drive through the Great Smoky Mountains between Asheville and Knoxville again, this time during the day.

3. Driving the long way across Tennessee is sure to impress everybody with your perseverance.

4. I've seen what the highway looks like on the flat Mississippi Alluvial Plain in Arkansas, but I've never driven it into the Ozark Mountains.

5. Maybe I'll get to see a tornado when I get to Oklahoma.

6. I want to take the challenge at the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo.

7. I need to see exactly what "Weird Al" Yankovic was raving about when he made a 12-minute song about Albuquerque.

8. I never got to go to the bottom of the Meteor Crater and pretend that I'm Starman being taken back into outer space.

9. I've driven several small segments of it, and I'd like to tie them all together.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:32 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
All of them. My goal is to eventually drive all of the transcontinental north/south and east/west interstates.

I've already traveled major portions of I-40, I-70, I-80, and I-90, but still have a lot of ground left to cover. As far as north/south interstates go, I've traveled most of I-55, much of I-75, parts of I-25 and I-15.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Interstate highways I've completed

I-12

I-16

I-24

I-26

I-45

I-85

I-97

Interstate highways I've driven significant segments of

I-10 from Los Angeles, CA to Phoenix, AZ / San Antonio, TX to Houston, TX / Baton Rouge, LA to Jacksonville, FL

I-15 from San Diego, CA to St. George, UT

I-20 from Birmingham, AL to Florence, SC

I-35 from San Antonio, TX to Oklahoma City, OK / Kansas City, MO to Minneapolis, MN

I-40 from Barstow, CA to Kingman, AZ / Little Rock, AR to Memphis, TN / Knoxville, TN to Asheville, NC / Greensboro, NC to Durham, NC

I-65 from Mobile, AL to Louisville, KY

I-70 from Kansas City, MO to St. Louis, MO / Cambridge, OH to Bedford, PA

I-75 from Hialeah, FL to Cincinnati, OH

I-76 from Youngstown, OH to Bedford, PA

I-77 from Columbia, SC to Beckley, WV

I-79 from Sutton, WV to Grove City, PA

I-80 from San Francisco, CA to Reno, NV / Youngstown, OH to near State College, PA

I-95 from Miami, FL to Baltimore, MD

NOTE: These lists do not include auxiliary Interstates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.