Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,815 times

Advertisements

I've been to more than 50 countries around the world, and it seems like United States coins are the only ones' that are not numerical (except $1 coin), and rather show text "One cent", "Five Cents", "Dime", "Quarter dollar".

It's very difficult for visitors, and even newly immigrants, or those who don't speak English to know the coins.

It seems like a person must memorize the coins in order to know them.
OK, maybe most people could read and understand "Five Cents", but what about a "Dime"?! How would people know what a "Dime" is?
Dime is a chocolate from IKEA by the way

When I used to work in retail in NYC, all tourist showed me their hands and told me to pick the coins, or asked me what the coins was etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Never thought of that. I'd guess the size plays a role too. Why are pennies larger than dimes and nickels larger than both?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I've heard three things over and over from friends overseas or people I talk to at bars in the USA (I love talking to foreigners).

1) The USA is the only country of any relative size left in the world that has all its bills the exact same size. The rest of the world has the bills of least value be the smallest and the bills of greatest value to the largest. Otherwise there's no way for blind people to easily tell what they're getting - and it's just easier when you reach in your wallet to eye a smaller bill.

2) The USA is one of the only countries in the world, and the only one with a major currency, that doesn't put the numerical value of a coin on the coin itself. Instead we write it out in English "dime", "quarter", "penny" - which aren't even really good descriptions anyway.

3) The coins aren't sized according to value. The penny is larger than a coin worth 10 times as much. The nickel is larger than both of them. The half dollar is quite huge compared to most coins of the world.

It would certainly make sense to change those three factors. I was just in the little shop by our elevators today, and the eastern asian man who was taking over for a friend had a hell of a time making change for me. I don't think he quite remembered which coin was worth what.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
This is one of those things that keep me up at night wondering: "Who cares?"

I learn the words for numbers 1 - 100 in the language of every country I travel to so that I can get by, and guess what? I am not a super genius.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 6,187 times
Humorous.........yet the question is something to think about..........

Old 11-16-2011, 09:27 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Just like, the USA in many cases does not write the numerical value on postage stamps. Often they use a letter of the alphabet to represent the numeral value.

And the USA is one of very few remaining nations not to use the Metric System for all measurements. The USA was scheduled to change over in the 1980s, but President Reagan ordered it stopped. This was discussed a few months ago on this Forum.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This is one of those things that keep me up at night wondering: "Who cares?"

I learn the words for numbers 1 - 100 in the language of every country I travel to so that I can get by, and guess what? I am not a super genius.
Because it's 158 times easier to see a number than to try to learn the words for numbers in every language? Money shouldn't be a test....

Also, cent, dime, quarter, etc. aren't the words for the numbers. You have to sqint and hunt just to find those words.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
And the USA is one of very few remaining nations not to use the Metric System for all measurements. The USA was scheduled to change over in the 1980s, but President Reagan ordered it stopped. This was discussed a few months ago on this Forum.
I am grateful President Reagan stopped it. Why have something the majority of Americans don't want?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I am grateful President Reagan stopped it. Why have something the majority of Americans don't want?
It wouldn't matter after we got used to it.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
Maybe this is the reason that foreigners are such poor tippers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.