U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 04:59 AM

4 posts, read 3,020 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I am a 30 year-old single male. I am currently living in Miami, but I really hate extremely warm and humidity here. I am seeking to relocate to another US city which fits much better my interests of living.
Iīd love to move to a city which has all four distinct seasons climate, I have to say I can stand a cold snowy winter much better than a hot humid summer. Another essential point is safety, I would really like to find a safe place to move. I love outdoors: camping, jogging, riding, skiing, hiking, fishing, hunting... I love lakes (even more than the ocean, which I am not particularly interested on living nearby), I also enjoy some snow in the winter, but not so much as to make life depressing. I would like everything around to be very green, with hills and forests if possible. Respecting to the cultural scene, I am a big fan of alternative rock music, specially post-grunge, which I couldnīt imagining living without, so I would prefer a place with a very strong alernative rock- post grunge scene, I donīt like latin rythms, nor rap or hip hop.
Which American city do you think would be my best spot?
Thanks to all of you in advance and best regards from Miami!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:29 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Seattle, WA or Portland, OR would be your best bets for large cities with an edge to Portland for the geography and affordability aspects.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:22 AM

56,546 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Perhaps Burlington VT, Ithaca NY, Amherst MA, Portland ME, Eugene OR, Corvallis OR, Spokane WA, Boise ID and maybe even Salt Lake City.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:45 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
For 4 distinct seasons and less humidity upstate NY or New England may be options. Definately winters but less hot and humid summers than you would get in even say a NYC/Philly/DC where the heat and humidity are pretty common in the summer, not quite Miami but not an escape from this. Minneapolis or Denver may also be an option but defer to folks from there on the summer heat and humidity but seem to recall they are lessor (maybe Denver offers the best with 4 seasons without extremes either winter or summer though)

Old 11-13-2011, 08:45 AM

1,806 posts, read 3,378,980 times
Seattle and Portland have more like 2 distinct seasons. The summer is very cool and the winter is very mild. Not really any snow.

Check out Denver. It is a medium sized city close to all types of outdoor activities. There are 4 seasons and although there is a lot of snow, the winters in Denver are more mild than in the Midwest.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 AM

thanks for the replies buddies! how about the cultural scene in Denver? I had also thought Portland and Seattle, but I've heard it rains a lot up there, and Minneapolis tend to be really COLD in winter...

Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,969,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Herben View Post
Hello everyone!
I am a 30 year-old single male. I am currently living in Miami, but I really hate extremely warm and humidity here. I am seeking to relocate to another US city which fits much better my interests of living.
Iīd love to move to a city which has all four distinct seasons climate, I have to say I can stand a cold snowy winter much better than a hot humid summer. Another essential point is safety, I would really like to find a safe place to move. I love outdoors: camping, jogging, riding, skiing, hiking, fishing, hunting... I love lakes (even more than the ocean, which I am not particularly interested on living nearby), I also enjoy some snow in the winter, but not so much as to make life depressing. I would like everything around to be very green, with hills and forests if possible. Respecting to the cultural scene, I am a big fan of alternative rock music, specially post-grunge, which I couldnīt imagining living without, so I would prefer a place with a very strong alernative rock- post grunge scene, I donīt like latin rythms, nor rap or hip hop.
Which American city do you think would be my best spot?
Thanks to all of you in advance and best regards from Miami!
I would suggest considering Boston. While there are smaller cities in New England that better fit your criteria for greenery and scenery (like Burlington, Vermont), I feel that they lack the kind of cultural offerings you're looking for, and would be a rather dramatic downsizing from Miami.

Boston has four very distinct seasons (including a particularly beautiful autumn) and some snow in the winter, but not enough that it's a constant nuisance (about 40 inches a year on average, versus 80 inches in Burlington VT). Boston and coastal New England also enjoy more sunshine than places in the interior of the region.

New England is one of the most heavily forested regions of the country and there are hundreds of lakes and mountains within a 2 hour drive from Boston. Closer to the city you'll mostly find ponds and hills, but still plenty of camping options. I guess the main issue would be deciding whether you want to live in the heart of the culture and activity of Boston, or closer to natural amenities on the outskirts of the metro area.

I'm not sure about the post-grunge scene in particular, but in general I'd say the music scene in Boston is pretty good and alt rock is one of the stronger components. The youthful population of the city lends itself to quite a bit of musical diversity.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 AM

1,806 posts, read 3,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Herben View Post
thanks for the replies buddies! how about the cultural scene in Denver? I had also thought Portland and Seattle, but I've heard it rains a lot up there, and Minneapolis tend to be really COLD in winter...
Depending on your "cultural" interests, Denver is top dog of all the cities listed so far. Denver is the most demographically diverse, probably because it's the biggest of the aforementioned metros.

Downtown Denver has a huge nightlife area as do some surrounding neighborhoods. On the outskirts of the Denver metro is Boulder with all the outdoor activities.

Denver has the most attractions because it's the largest and they also have all 4 major sports teams.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 AM

thanks! I will consider Boston for sure.
And thanks for the info about Denver.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,956,546 times
Although Portland OR is very popular and chic, ecologically-minded and bicycle-friendly, I understand it also has a high unemployment rate and many people on food stamps/ welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.