Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Wow those pics are so beautiful!
My husband went on a business trip to the Boston area (it was an eastern branch in his company) and said it was so beautiful there! Reminded him of his hometown in England. (Well, it is New England after all! )
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Think those Pics are Philly and not Boston but they do look very similar in parts
Yep - they're Philly alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 09:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,435,379 times
When I was 8 years old my family moved from Santa Cruz, California to Edmonton, Alberta. I think I'd seen snow maybe once or twice in my life at that point(and only a few random snowbanks in the Sierra in the summer) and there I was living in a place where it get as cold as 0 F. It was weird watching the temperature drop in November and realizing it wouldn't get above freezing until March. Blizzards were kind of fun, I remember though it would have to be extremely cold before they ever considered canceling school. That first winter my younger brother forgot his mittens and practically got frostbite on the walk home from school. I remember being terrified in my 3rd grade PE class when I was dragged onto the outside ice rink, after never tried ice skating before in my life.

My brother and I adapted quick though, and after a year we were huge hockey fans and started playing ourselves(this was the tail-end of the Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup dynasty)--and learned to ski--which you could do right outside of town on the little local hills although we also took trips to the Canadian Rockies. I look back with nostalgia on my four years in Canada--I think living up the cold north builds character, by the time we returned to California it seemed like this weird, overly liberal place without any real seasonal changes.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:18 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,488,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Thanks.

Yep - they're Philly alright.
Boston, Philly, all the same to me!
JUST KIDDING!!

Seriously, I love, LOVE the architecture in the east!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:27 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,939,509 times
Quote:
Hi Everybody!

For anyone who's moved from the sun belt to where "real" winters happen... ie from Southern California to Michigan, Phoenix to Boston etc...
Please tell me about your adjustments to living with serious snow.
How did your first winter go? What were the surprises; pleasant and unpleasant...
How did it work out? Happy you made the move or does the snow drive you crazy?

Native So. Cal gal pondering...
I just did it in reverse. I moved to So. Cal from western Pennsylvania. Coming from this climate here, I'd recommend that you take a couple of weeks, and spend them in your relocation city of choice in the dead of winter if you're really pondering such a move. Then wait until the following summer, and repeat the same process.

I can't speak for everywhere, but in my native Pittsburgh, it was living in two totally different places. That place changed with the seasons. In the spring, summer, and fall, it was a vital and vibrant place. People were chipper, the sun was out, and it had an overall great vibe to it. In the winter, it felt blighted and depressed. Everyone was miserable and short-tempered, everything looked gray and dull, and it made me think of old newsreels from bombed out Poland in the 40's.

As for the actual weather adjustment....it'll be tough coming from southern California. Prepare for extended periods of snow being on the ground, scraping your windshield constantly, having a filthy vehicle for 5 months, and replacing a lot of windshield wipers. It can really suck.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,939,509 times
Quote:
\

Wow those pics are so beautiful!
That's one nice thing about the northeast....Beautiful, old architecture. PA in particular (especially central and eastern) are gorgeous.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:38 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,714,657 times
There is an active poster in the Syracuse forum who moved there from Hawaii. :O

Old 11-14-2011, 12:43 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
There is an active poster in the Syracuse forum who moved there from Hawaii. :O

Now Syracuse and winter are a whole other level

Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 PM

92,032 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Now Syracuse and winter are a whole other level
Yes, but we are prepared for it.

There is another poster on that forum from Los Angeles too.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,766,317 times
I moved from southern California to Boston while my (at the time) gf when to BC law.

I had never seen it snow before in my life, only snow on the ground. I grew up in Santa Maria, one of the most temperate places in the US. I definitely had a love / hate relationship w/ the snow and cold.

The first few weeks of the snow it was magic, I loved it so much. But then Late January - March rolls around and the snow turns to exhaust fume colored mush (or worse it is too cold to snow ), I had no car, so running errands became 2x the chore they normally would be.

But all in all it was a great experience and I would do it again 100 times over. I still find my self missing the cold weather (we were there for three years) and fall doesn't quite feel like fall here in LA.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:43 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,062,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
We moved from Houston to Philly last winter. We packed up on Dec. 31 and were sweating (yuk!). The first winter here was a test, which we passed exceedingly well. I learned that, while it is impossible to shed enough clothes to stay cool in the summer, it is indeed possible to bundle up in warm clothes and keep out out the cold. I am actually outdoors much more here than I ever was in Houston.

In response to another point of your post, a big surprise for me was how I experinced spring. Living in Houston, spring was pretty much a non-event. The live oaks, a predominant species there, keep their leaves all year until an annual shedding of leaves and pollen each Feb/March. For me, spring in southeast Texas was a simply a precursor to the unrelenting summer due to descend at any moment. In the northeast, the return of bulbs and the budding shrubs and trees are beautiful and serve as a nice backdrop as spring lingers well into June.

Weather preferences for some reason seem to incite passion among some on CD. I know folks in Houston who love the weather all year long. God bless them. There is something about the cycle of passing through four distinct seasons that feels very natural and beautiful to me. Can't wait until the snow returns:

Philadelphia generally does not have the kind of winters it's been getting the past few years. Normally, it's quite mild by comparison to cities further west and north of it. The same thing goes for NYC. The eastern Mid-Atlantic generally doesn't have 100% guaranteed severe winters...the same thing goes for the lower Midwest states (generally Kansas, most of Missouri and the central and southern halves of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio). However, what is 100% guaranteed about this area is that winters will get very cold, but will not always have as frequent or unmanageable amounts of snow or long periods without thaws). The places I've always felt have 100% guaranteed severe winters both temperature-wise and in terms of snowfall are the northern half of Colorado on up, Nebraska and Iowa on up, northern illinois, northern indiana, northern ohio, and western and north central pennsylvania on up, and connecticut on up. Also any parts of Washington and Oregon that aren't along the pacific generally have very bad winters too. I wish had a map to describe this. In any case, any states south of the areas I just described generally are what I would call truly mild in the winter....not that cold temperature-wise, and little to no snowfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.