U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,558 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in Delaware County of New York and I'm confident that I want to move elsewhere. I love the environment (mountains, temperate weather) in this area, but I feel way too isolated from things here (95% of my friends have moved away) and the average person is rather narrow minded. I don't exactly dislike the area, but I've hit mid 20s and I really feel like I need to move on--I'm quite anxious to say the least..

One of these coming weeks I plan to take time off of work here and there and explore / experience some new places (I know, bad timing as far as seasons go). However, I'd of course like to have some particular spots in mind before I head off. This is where I'm hoping the community here can help me. Even though I created this thread in the "General U.S." forum, recommendations do not necessarily need to be limited to the U.S. (but they should be strongly favored to the U.S., as I don't want too radical of a change, if possible). Also, to be clear, I'm looking to rent; I have no interest in being tied down to a home at this point or in the foreseeable future.

I suppose my part in this is describing myself and what I think I'm looking for.

Employment opportunities: I'm a software developer / programmer both personally and "professionally," but I'm desperately looking to change the latter. A change in profession is generally something that should be established before relocating, but this cannot wait. However, in moving elsewhere, I'm willing to temporarily work in software development just to "get by" until I can find something else. I have little desire for wealth, financial security, or an appreciable retirement, and I'd hope the area I move to won't drag me into the rat race for these things.

Climate: I quite prefer temperate climates to the scorching hot and humid, but I have no issues with snow or long winters. Areas that are predominantly overcast are not an issue. I enjoy staying in shape through outdoor activities (not necessarily in the boondocks) and I love being near water--particularly the ocean. I've always told myself during the months I've spent at relatives near the coast that I'd want to eventually end up near it. Just being able to smell it and have access to it is what I desire. I don't have any particular fancy for the activities that go along with it (ie surfing or diving), and I do not expect to live on the actual coastline (naturally, that would be much too expensive). Living somewhere relatively near it would be enough. This is one of the most important things for me.

People / culture / social activities: As of right now, I live in an area where I feel like an endangered species. For example, I work in a company of 500+ where there are literally about 4 or 5 people younger than 28--myself included at 23. This has to change. I don't require a social mecca of young people or an extensive nightlife by any measure (not to say I wouldn't desire that), but having more people of my age certainly matters much, and I'd like to avoid those areas where the general consensus amongst younger people is that they need to get away.
As for myself, my free time is mostly consumed by personal programming projects (ie game development), creating electronic music (I live and breathe electronic music, but I don't expect to find a particular area in the US that is characterized by an electronic music scene), and getting into nature. While I can't help but gravitate toward my personal hobbies, I'm no recluse, and I'd like an area that is somewhat active with people of my age and people of an open mind.

I've been peeking around the north eastern seaboard (ie Connecticut, Massachusetts, maybe even Maine). Short of consulting people I know in the area or heading there myself, I'm honestly quite naive about how to properly research the social/cultural aspects. It seems wherever you look there is someone aggrandizing the area beyond what it actually is, making it difficult to make an educated decision.

Last edited by woah; 11-13-2011 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:30 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,459,300 times
Have you considered Seattle?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:35 PM

21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Going off facts and figures without any preferences or homerism I would steer you toward places where you can actually find a job, as well as be among many others in your age group. I would lead off with either the DC or Boston metro areas. Both have everything you're looking for and unemployment rates well below the national average (6.1% and 6.6% respectively). If you want to stretch your geography you might also consider Minneapolis which like DC and Boston has a sizable young adult population but in a more affordable setting. It also has the lowest unemployment rate of the three at 6.0%.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 AM

56,750 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Look into the major Upstate cities or college towns like Ithaca: Central New York Jobs

Outside of NY, this may help: Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,558 times
Thanks for the recommendations. I will keep these places in mind, and also any further recommendations.

Boston and Seattle are possibilities (I have relatives/friends in these areas, which helps), but I fear the cost and pace of living in these places. I suppose I should have stressed that I don't necessarily need to be centralized in one of these hubs, and I hope I didn't give that impression when I said I desired an area of more social activity of people in my age group.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 AM

21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woah View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I will keep these places in mind, and also any further recommendations.

Boston and Seattle are possibilities (I have relatives/friends in these areas, which helps), but I fear the cost and pace of living in these places. I suppose I should have stressed that I don't necessarily need to be centralized in one of these hubs, and I hope I didn't give that impression when I said I desired an area of more social activity of people in my age group.
Both cities have close-in suburbs that take advantage of city amenities and stable economy without having to be in the thick of things. In terms of cost consider jobs pay accordingly and you won't be taking a salary with you from where you live now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.