U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,490,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Marijuana Legalization is the Republican Platform? Repealing immigration laws is the Republican Platform? lmao right.....
Okay, I missed those. My point still works, though. The authors have defined a set of freedom parameters that might not jibe with how other people see the topic. In other words, it's not a universally agreed definition with which they've conducted the study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 02:54 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Texas is 14........

Old 11-14-2011, 03:19 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
My state ranked low, but the article points out its because they have strict gun laws, high arrest rates for victimless crimes like drug possession, strict smoking laws and stict labor laws like minimum wage.

I guess I'm fine with those things.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM

6,368 posts, read 3,580,666 times
I am a native New Yorker of 58 years. I have been living in Florida for 4 years. They rank Florida as #11 and NY as #50. From MY perspective, living under Rick Scott in Florida is being "Free"? That is a joke, right? I am trying to get out of Florida ASAP.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:48 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,864,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
"We explicitly ground our conception of freedom on an individual-rights framework. In our view, individuals should be allowed to dispose of their lives, liberties, and properties as they see fit, as long as they do not infringe on the rights of others"...

Apparently that wasn't factored into the anti-trans fat or gun rights topics as the rights of others are clearly not included within them. It should read without the last section of the sentence and be based on purely an individuals right to do as they please without fear of retribution. Libertarianism at it's best...
Explain.

4,155 posts, read 4,484,668 times
The supposedly “least free” states are also the biggest Federal donor states. Assuming our military "keeps us free", it appears paying for it is for suckers.

9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
From reading the executive summary, it's clear enough what they are doing. They've defined free as planks in the Republican party platform, then rated states on how well they adhere to that platform. This is foolish at best, and possibly propaganda. Massachusetts is ranked downward because it decided to do something about ensuring a healthier population. That's right, we get no plus for being more free from disease, birth defects, and substance abuse. They didn't even try to hide what they were doing here.
or it could be that we NEED to wear helmets on motercyles and Fireworks are illegal (they don't enforce it though)

Old 11-14-2011, 04:28 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,899,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Okay, I missed those. My point still works, though. The authors have defined a set of freedom parameters that might not jibe with how other people see the topic. In other words, it's not a universally agreed definition with which they've conducted the study.
I agree, but any study like this will be politically slanted one way or another. It seems to be a Libertarian definition of freedom because it's Economically Right and Socially Left.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,229,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Former state of Virginia; #9
Current state of Kentucky; #32

KY has dry/wet county restrictions on alcohol and a crazy number of taxes.
California has semi-liberal drug laws and allows motorcyclists to ride between traffic lanes along white dotted lines. It's income taxes are high but have a lot of write-offs, consequently resulting in about as many or fewer dollars paid by lower- and middle-class than in otherwise cheaper COL states.

However, sales taxes are high, alcohol can be pricey in stores, environmental regulations are burdensome and the cost of implementation gets passed down to consumers, and income taxes for high income earners are outrageous. Oh, yes, gasoline taxes are way up there!

Kentucky has few income tax write-offs, making income taxes expensive commensurate to anyone's income. Don't forget about city and county taxes; as high as 2.7% in some areas, I think Louisville's is over 4%. Sales tax is 6%, so about the national average. Gas taxes higher than surrounding states. Crazy dry/wet city/county alcohol laws, too, that many even many Kentuckians' heads spin.

On the other hand, smoking cigarettes is very common; cigarettes have low embedded taxes. It's pretty easy to get out of Louisville and Lexington in no time and be in the country; even in those cities, commute times are overall not the problem they can be in California cities, although Louisville's bridge closure and Lexington's Nicholasville Road certainly have a negative effect.

But, the SF Bay Area has something Kentucky doesn't have: the ability to get out of the city and in ten minutes see one of the world's most beautiful and commanding natural views. Go three hours east, there's Yosemite, and that's majestic! Also, a lot of Kentucky towns are quite alike. In California, I can visit Mexico, China, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Afghanistan, Peru, Oregon, Nebraska, and Kentucky and not leave the state, or even the Bay Area.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
California has semi-liberal drug laws and allows motorcyclists to ride between traffic lanes along white dotted lines. It's income taxes are high but have a lot of write-offs, consequently resulting in about as many or fewer dollars paid by lower- and middle-class than in otherwise cheaper COL states.

However, sales taxes are high, alcohol can be pricey in stores, environmental regulations are burdensome and the cost of implementation gets passed down to consumers, and income taxes for high income earners are outrageous. Oh, yes, gasoline taxes are way up there!

I'll take the "more stringent" envrionmental regulations of California over the non-existant environmental regulations of Kentucky that have resulted in small and large-scale mountaintop removal operations everywhere with land that can never be reclaimed to its original state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or