Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:24 AM

466 posts, read 1,061,950 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am German, living in the US since 2005 and I am 56 years old. I met my husband online.
We are living at the Oregon Coast and are looking for the "perfect" place to relocate, we were looking into Albuquerque, NM Denver, CO and Sacramento, CA. We lived in Southern California (my husband is from there), Las Vegas, NV, Tulsa, OK and Portland, OR.
We are looking for a place where my husband finds easy work as a truck driver, but not long distance anymore, he wants a local job where he is home every night.
I want to become a dog trainer and looking for a dog friendly place of course. We have a Labrador-mix called Angel. I gave her the right name. We also watching wildlife and there is plenty here in the US. So a place with a lot of it around is also an important thing for us.
Now I want to hear from other German people that came to the US as adults and tell me about there city/town and state they are living in, what they like and dislike about it and how they cope with the weather here in the US. We don't have that kind of diversity and sometimes scary weather in Germany.
I think that would help me to narrow it down where to move too.
We can't afford to buy at the moment, so we are looking also for affordable rentals in a safe neighborhood and with a landlord that cares about their tenants and property and is pet friendly.
Ich brauche Eure Hilfe, so antworted in Scharen. Vielen Dank im voraus.

Last edited by kagicre; 05-14-2011 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:54 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Come to Minnesota

Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
New York's Hudson valley reminds a lot of Germans of the Rhineland (there are even place names Rhinebeck, Rhinecliff that) There are also a lot of german clubs in the region.

list of german heritage clubs in the USA: GermanOriginality.com : German Clubs

Old 05-16-2011, 06:33 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times
There are alot of German Texans here in Texas and alot of towns in Texas were founded by German settlers like New Braunfels,Fredericksburg,Boerne and several others your close enough to the city New Braunfels is right outside San Antonio and is not to far from Austin and Boerne is close to Ssn Antonio Fredericksburg is about an hour from both Austin and SA.

New Braunfels, TX - Official Website

Fredericksburg Texas Convention and Visitor Bureau Events, Lodging and Activities

Fredericksburg Texas Chamber of Commerce

Boerne CVB, TX - Official Website

Boerne, Texas Chamber of Commerce

German-Texan Heritage Society. Promoting awareness and preservation of the German cultural heritage in Texas.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
For places that have a relatively high percent born in Germany see...

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h49.html

The Dakotas, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Wyoming look to be the states with the largest percent German-American. California, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas look to have the most German-Americans in number.

Specifically Central Pennsylvania, Northwest Ohio, Eastern Wisconsin, Northern Iowa, central North Dakota, Northern South Dakota, Northeast Nebraska, Central Kansas, and Central Texas look pretty German-American.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo200/pct_german.pdf

As for the specific experiences of Germans coming to America today maybe someone will talk directly of that. I don't think I know any, but I somewhat knew a German foreign-exchange student. I know there are some places in the Plains states where people still speak German, but that's mostly Mennonites. So it might be "Pre-industrial and mostly religious" German to quote Dwight Schrute from the Office (More sincerely many Mennonites live somewhat modern lives, they're not Amish, so may speak German that's useful for every day life or in many cases not know German anymore)

Old 05-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Hello everybody, thank you for your input, but that is not really what I was looking for. If you read my thread carefully you will understand. I have been to Braunfels, Fredricksburg and Boerne, and it is just for tourist, not really German. But thanks anyway and knke0204, Minnesota is just to cold for us.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Oops. Yeah it sounded like you were wanting places good for male truck drivers and dog people that also have mild weather. Hmm.

Well my home place of Northwest Arkansas might work. They do get some severe weather, but it looks like a place with plenty of truckers and there's still some rural-type land that's good for dogs. Also there are towns in that area that retain a fairly strong German influence. I have relatives who went to the monastery school of Subiaco and Subiaco retains some German-Catholic influences. The cost-of-living is generally low to medium-low. Parts of Texas might also still work, doesn't have to be the touristy German places, as it's not too cold and they look to have a fair amount of truckers.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c678.html

Old 05-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Thanks Thomas for your input. I don't really look for strong German influence towns/cities in America, I look for input from Germans, that came to the US as adults and what they think about their new home state.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Thomas R., thanks for the link. That is something I was looking all over the net for it. Great help. I show this to my husband when he is coming home in a few days.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 PM

166 posts, read 376,193 times
Milwaukee has a lot of germans. It's also a gritty smaller city with small town style of people. It's quite hard to make friends there and has a somewhat hood vibe so not my top recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.