U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 AM

132 posts, read 223,016 times

Advertisements

Austin is regarded as the live music capital of the US, so it would be a good choice (as well as Nashville).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 AM

104 posts, read 82,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Hi, I am a 22 year old male who has decided to pursue a career in music. Since I have been little, this is something that I have always wanted to do, and after trying school, and holding a number of jobs, I am almost certain that music is what I want to pursue. Now, I am not delusional, I realize becoming a musician entails a lot of hard work, perseverance, diligence, creativity, and patience. But it is something I have so much passion for that I welcome the challenge.

So, I am currently living in St. Petersburg, Fl for 17 years, and I am ready to leave this town once and for all, and Florida to be exact. I know that cities like NYC and LA seem like the stereotypical place to start if your an aspiring musician, but I wanted to know whether or not that was true anymore? Or weather or not I should go elsewhere? I have heard Austin, Texas has an impressive music scene as well for the aspiring musician.

Just in case someone needs so background, I play mostly rock/pop music. I play piano/guitar/and sing. I am looking to start a band with the possibility of making it big if possible, but I just want to make a living off music.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I'd like to say NYC but I am biased because that's where I want to go.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 AM

469 posts, read 765,497 times
Austin is completely overrated when it comes to muscians succeeding. They do have some HUGE fests (SXSW, ACL, Fun Fun Fun, etc) and even though many local acts are booked, most do not go on to succeed. However, there are a lot of options for venues. LA and NYC are your best bets.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:53 PM

30 posts, read 27,601 times
I want to bump this thread. This is the question I am asking myself right now. I want to go Austin, and all I want right now is to begin getting gigs, so the "not-making-it-big" thing is ok with me. But my question is-- is it easy to book gigs there? Or is it tough? Again, I'm not talking about headlining and playing huge shows.

And what other cities are good cities to start out in which have musicians in demand?

Ironically, I am from St. Petersburg as well and I think its pretty dead here, musically.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:02 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,440,738 times
Chicago has many small clubs that offer music in the back on weekends and even mid-week. Chicago is also very fond of jazz influenced musicians.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:22 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,129 times
Austin is completely overrated. I agree with the other poster, Austin's music influence is based on a few festivals. I always thought Houston had a stronger music scene than Austin but whatever.

The NY/Philly area, Nashville, New Orleans. Pittsburgh is lame. NE Ohio/Cleveland is much better. Many options in Ohio for artists looking for small venues (folk, jazz, and rock). I haven't been to Chicago but I've heard it is good for jazz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or