Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,294 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 22 year old male who has decided to pursue a career in music. Since I have been little, this is something that I have always wanted to do, and after trying school, and holding a number of jobs, I am almost certain that music is what I want to pursue. Now, I am not delusional, I realize becoming a musician entails a lot of hard work, perseverance, diligence, creativity, and patience. But it is something I have so much passion for that I welcome the challenge.

So, I am currently living in St. Petersburg, Fl for 17 years, and I am ready to leave this town once and for all, and Florida to be exact. I know that cities like NYC and LA seem like the stereotypical place to start if your an aspiring musician, but I wanted to know whether or not that was true anymore? Or weather or not I should go elsewhere? I have heard Austin, Texas has an impressive music scene as well for the aspiring musician.

Just in case someone needs so background, I play mostly rock/pop music. I play piano/guitar/and sing. I am looking to start a band with the possibility of making it big if possible, but I just want to make a living off music.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM

70 posts, read 140,224 times
I'll also say Austin would be one of your better places. Lots of artists making a name for themselves having started there. That's about the only one I'm familiar with other than if you played country music (Nashville, obviously). It's a tough field, but I wish ya good luck finding a city and hope you succeed with your career goals!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Hi, I am a 22 year old male who has decided to pursue a career in music. Since I have been little, this is something that I have always wanted to do, and after trying school, and holding a number of jobs, I am almost certain that music is what I want to pursue. Now, I am not delusional, I realize becoming a musician entails a lot of hard work, perseverance, diligence, creativity, and patience. But it is something I have so much passion for that I welcome the challenge.

So, I am currently living in St. Petersburg, Fl for 17 years, and I am ready to leave this town once and for all, and Florida to be exact. I know that cities like NYC and LA seem like the stereotypical place to start if your an aspiring musician, but I wanted to know whether or not that was true anymore? Or weather or not I should go elsewhere? I have heard Austin, Texas has an impressive music scene as well for the aspiring musician.

Just in case someone needs so background, I play mostly rock/pop music. I play piano/guitar/and sing. I am looking to start a band with the possibility of making it big if possible, but I just want to make a living off music.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
NY and LA are the main cities still in my opinion but places like Austin and Nashville (it's not all about Country Western) are viable options too, though my thought is Austin has probably reached saturation point with twenty-somethings looking to start a career. NYC would be my recommendation, particularly in Brooklyn's Indie-Rock scene which is seemingly unlimited in terms of support and venues.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I would try to be based out of an affordable location central to the eastern sea board. I would try to work colleges and clubs from North Carolina to Boston. I wouldn't leave home until you had at least four hours of material (half originals) marketing material, and a CD that can be play over college radio.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,431 times
Athens, Georgia perhaps?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
As a fellow Floridian and someone who has lived in Texas before, I say you should check out Austin, Texas. Huge music scene there, cheap cost of living, good nightlife, and young people your age all around. You need to go there. Not only is almost everything over there better than FL but so is the weather. No more hot n' humid heat!! I miss it!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,189 times
Move to Hollywood, CA.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 PM

70 posts, read 140,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Not only is almost everything over there better than FL but so is the weather. No more hot n' humid heat!! I miss it!
Really? The summers are easier in Austin than on the coast of Florida? I understand it gets more humid in Florida but doesn't Austin heat up pretty high as well?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
As a young musician you have to look at QOL

Philadelphia
Los Angeles (yes it's hard to believe but i'll say you can find an affordable place here more so than NYC)
Detroit
Portland

I'll throw in Chicago as well but I don't really feel its that great of a place to network. Yet you can meet and build with some amazing talent within the city.

These are a few places that come to mind

NYC is great for music, but it's even better for making connections..all while heading back to your base elsewhere

Old 11-17-2011, 01:12 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegolfer86 View Post
Really? The summers are easier in Austin than on the coast of Florida? I understand it gets more humid in Florida but doesn't Austin heat up pretty high as well?
No & Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.